Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 03:32 PM

586 posts, read 832,098 times

Advertisements

I have a math test tomorrow and doing fairly well in the class (weight flucuates but its anywhere from 95%-98%). She posted a practice test, I have printed it out and worked on it. For the problems that I have troubling remembering, I go back and look at the homework. With that said, is this method of studying efficient or do I have to go back and study every single section? Just wanted opinions on how you study before an exam/test. Do you go back and review everything from square one or just the ones that are earlier in the term and you have a little trouble remembering based on the practice tests? Also, do the practice test highly resemble the real test? Its been so long since I took math...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 03:34 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Sufficient? Maybe. A valuable tool out of several? Yes.

Quickly review what you already are competent with and concentrate where you're weak.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 PM

227 posts, read 258,363 times
If I have them available they are always part of my toolkit. Not the only thing, but I'll prioritize doing these first or if I feel a bit shaky on the material study first then take the practice quiz/exam whatever.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:10 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
It really depends on the instructor, and that is the best person to ask. Go see her during office hours - you will be glad you did, and so will she. Office hours are boring because no one ever shows up.

When I post a practice test, the idea is that the student will study first, then take the practice test to see if they are ready, or if they need to study more. If it were my test, I would say that whatever thing you got wrong, you need to go back and study that unit more. Some of my students just take the practice test, then look up the answers they don't know, then think they are done. But what is on the real test will not be the same exactly - it will be from the same units and test the same skills, but if the student doesn't know the concepts then knowing the answer to a particular question on the practice test will not help on the real test.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It really depends on the instructor, and that is the best person to ask. Go see her during office hours - you will be glad you did, and so will she. Office hours are boring because no one ever shows up.

When I post a practice test, the idea is that the student will study first, then take the practice test to see if they are ready, or if they need to study more. If it were my test, I would say that whatever thing you got wrong, you need to go back and study that unit more. Some of my students just take the practice test, then look up the answers they don't know, then think they are done. But what is on the real test will not be the same exactly - it will be from the same units and test the same skills, but if the student doesn't know the concepts then knowing the answer to a particular question on the practice test will not help on the real test.
Thanks for all the responses!

Mnseca - her lectures are very clear up to this point I dont have many questions. If I do, I am able to read the sections and figure it out. I guess I have what you call "test anxiety."

I decided to take the practice exam first,l since we did learn the material, circle the ones I am uncertain about, go back to those sections and look at sample problems, hw etc.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 PM

Also, for those who teach, do you usually give the same amount of questions on the real test as the practice exam, or do you give more? The practice exam I did has about 7 pages totaling 40 questions, I cant imagine her giving us more than that on the real exam. Of course, I know the real exam will have different numbers and I am totally ready for it. I did the practice test and did fairly well, just need a few hours of studying and pretty sure I could ace the test.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:02 PM

674 posts, read 611,866 times
If you actually care about learning (which, by the way, is important if you want or need to learn any math in the future, including math that will come later on in this course), then you're better off actually understanding the material.

If you only care about passing the test so you can receive a certificate that says you know a little bit of math, and you don't care if that certificate is accurate or not, then you can probably get away with just studying old tests and memorizing recipes for solving the problems on them. This could come back to bite you when you take your final exam, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities