Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,612,862 times

Advertisements

Most employers I've had, including the federal government, have required transcripts. Mileage on that one really varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 AM

426 posts, read 371,271 times
Employers ask about grades? Really? Since when?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:24 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxinLockin View Post
Say you had a guy who went to college and graduated with a 2.0 GPA, no relevant internships or anything of the sort. He didn't major in finance or engineering either meaning that whatever he majored in, he would need a masters or professional school experience in order to break into a lucrative career.

So the guy graduates college with a 2.0 GPA or whatever is required for graduation. To help his cause some, lets say he went to a fairly relevant university (not Harvard or Yale but a respectable state university).

In the grand scheme of things, how screwed is he if he wants to actually get a job that pays more than 50k annually?
A 2.0 is going to make it hard to get into grad school.

So he likely wont get a job that needs a masters.

Ok. Many jobs exist for people who do not need graduate degrees.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:48 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,796 times
Over $50k

Department of Sanitation workers in NYC make over $72,000 after four years and with overtime make close to $100,000 a year.
And without a degree.

I have a buddy that owns a commercial drywall company with eight employees and he only has a GED. He made over $140,000 last year and sends his kid to a private school.

A general manager of a fast food restaurant can easily make over $50,000 a year.

There is just really too much focus these days on 'degrees' and GPAs.

People need to get out, apply themselves, work hard and actually have skills with objective value.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-09-2016 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: fixed spacing

Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSparks View Post
Employers ask about grades? Really? Since when?
At least as long as I've been in the workforce, depending on specifics of the job.

It varies by field and employer.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,686,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxinLockin View Post
Say you had a guy who went to college and graduated with a 2.0 GPA, no relevant internships or anything of the sort. He didn't major in finance or engineering either meaning that whatever he majored in, he would need a masters or professional school experience in order to break into a lucrative career.

So the guy graduates college with a 2.0 GPA or whatever is required for graduation. To help his cause some, lets say he went to a fairly relevant university (not Harvard or Yale but a respectable state university).

In the grand scheme of things, how screwed is he if he wants to actually get a job that pays more than 50k annually?
He's not screwed at all. All he has to do is figure out what he wants to do, and then do it. If he can figure out something he's good at, the sky is the limit. And yes, you can get into graduate school or a professional school with less than a 3.0 GPA.

People spend too much time worrying about grades. I could show you all sorts of people who make in excess of $100K who never went to college. I could also show you people who make well in excess of $100K who only got Cs in college. Nobody cares what grades you got. What they care about is how well you perform.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,176,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
He's not screwed at all. All he has to do is figure out what he wants to do, and then do it. If he can figure out something he's good at, the sky is the limit. And yes, you can get into graduate school or a professional school with less than a 3.0 GPA.

People spend too much time worrying about grades. I could show you all sorts of people who make in excess of $100K who never went to college. I could also show you people who make well in excess of $100K who only got Cs in college. Nobody cares what grades you got. What they care about is how well you perform.
While it is true that people do worry too much about grades I bet that on average people who graduate with a 3.0 or 3.5 average do significantly better financially than someone who graduates with a 2.0.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that for every one college grad with a 2.0 who earns $100,000 plus a year there are 20 college grads with a 3.0 or better that earn $100,000 plus a year.

Of course, I had almost a 4.0 in both undergrad and graduate school and I never even came close to earning $100,000 a year (I am a retired teacher). And my sister did have a 4.0 both as an undergrad (Phi Beta Kappa) and in graduate school and she made about the same as me (she is a retired school social worker). Obviously, financial compensation depends on your field of study.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:30 PM

How well you performed in school can absolutely correlate to how you perform professionally. The same bad habits that can easily lead to mediocre grades can also lead to mediocre work performance.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,686,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How well you performed in school can absolutely correlate to how you perform professionally. The same bad habits that can easily lead to mediocre grades can also lead to mediocre work performance.
People get bad grades for all sorts of reasons. Maybe they're happy with Cs. Maybe they skipped 95% of their classes. Maybe they're bored. Maybe they're smart enough to realize it doesn't matter.

What would you say to a person who wanted to see your 2nd grade transcript? You'd wonder why they cared. College is the same, only a little more recent.

To be sure, no one should try to get bad grades. I just think all the emphasis on grades is misplaced. And let's face it, if you're stupid, all the good grades in the world won't save you once you're in the real world. Fortunately, for all the C students.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,888,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
...There is just really too much focus these days on 'degrees' and GPAs...
Granted, a degree isn't for everyone. However, if one chooses to pursue a degree, then GPA should be of concern. There are great internships available to students who actually strive for exceptional grades, and get involved in the academic experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities