Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 04:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,120,617 times

Advertisements

I created a thread in the Writing Forum asking about recommended Kindle Books on Creative Writing... Check it out!

I also bought these Kindle Books, some previously [see the pic].

I do have an interest in Writing for $$$, but 'm not going to drop $35,000 on an MFA at any college. I bet by spending about at most $400 on Kindle Books for Creative Writing I'd have enough good info on writing a Novel and other kinds of books.
Attached Thumbnails
What should I do if I can't afford to go to college?-kindle-bookwriting-list.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 08:58 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,721,910 times
Find an affordable community college even if it means moving away somewhere else. At my local community college, I can take a 3 hour credit course for about $300.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 AM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Find an affordable community college even if it means moving away somewhere else. At my local community college, I can take a 3 hour credit course for about $300.
That's a lot of money for a 3-credit CC course. CC's are supposed to be affordable, but if you add that up to a standard 15- or 16-credit semester, it comes out to upward of $1500/semester. I guess it's better than what most state universities are charging, but it still seems like a lot of money for 3 credits.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:40 AM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
@eevee posted some very good advice, and it got me thinking. OP, let's say you do go to college and study creative writing. What would you do for a minor? Or if you could double-major, what would your other field be? Think about that, and then make that second field your primary one, and creative writing--your minor. Pick something practical and marketable for your primary field.

For example, journalism/communications. I know some people will say that's a dying field, or there's too much competition, but it's just an example. If you enjoy writing, you could generate income doing feature writing and other free-lance work for newspapers and magazines. (You could do this even while still in school, and get a summer internship or a semester internship with magazines that offer that. They're out there; I've researched it myself.) I know people who are able to support themselves modestly that way. You could also get into web design and advertising. I know people who support themselves very well doing that for tech companies, even just a year or two in at their first job. I'm just brainstorming, here.

By now, I'm sure you've gotten the message from this thread that you need to find something practical to do for a steady income while writing your Magnum Opus in the creative writing field. Make the most of your college education by double-majoring, or choosing creative writing as a minor.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide. Updates are always appreciated.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 4,450 times
Hi, everyone. Thanks for all the replies. I’ve decided not to go to University of Iowa and instead attend ASU’s program online in several months. It’ll be a lot cheaper if I live with my parents and they could help me pay for it. As for why I can’t study in-state (Florida), it’s because almost every Florida university has annoying requirements which I do not meet. I could get accepted at some such as FIT, but tuition is very high. I could try transferring, but it wouldn’t even be worth it at that point. I’d rather just attend ASU online.

@Ruth4Truth
I’ve been looking into double majors and what appeals to me is philosophy. If I would double major in anything, it would be English (writing track) & Philosophy (logic track). I know philosophy is also silly but I feel that the fields contemplate each other very well. I'm not going to force myself to study something like nursing or business administration just so that I can find a job. I'd rather study something that I love. And it's not like those "marketable" degrees guarantee a job either. I've also been considering law school and philosophy & English would be the best majors for that. If I could get a minor, it would be something that would work well with philosophy & English like political science or perhaps even business administration if I go on to get an MBA. But my social skills are poor, and I doubt someone like me can manage a business.

@Meemur
Are you implying that English is not a hard subject? My friend, who is a double engineer and English major, said the subjects were equally hard and that he had to, in fact, spend more time learning in his English courses due to the subjective nature of the material. So far, I have been learning a lot. It’s not as hard as math for me, but that’s only because I enjoy it.

I don’t know if I want to be a copywriter or technical writer or what. I would rather be a freelance writer (writing stuff for people and proofreading) while I look for either of those jobs and then I can let that guide me. But mostly I want to freelance. Most of the technical writer jobs I saw did not require you to understand engineering concepts on an engineer’s level. You just have to be good enough at English to be able to translate the material. And it’s not like I won’t take zero math courses, I’ll still have to take statistics and college math.

@Coldjensens
Creative writing could be a career too. I considered IT but that doesn’t seem to be true. Every IT person I asked said soft skills were extremely important and sometimes more important than your technical skills.

Overall, I don't really know what I want to do. I just know that I enjoy my writing classes in comparison to everything else and that a lot of writers inspire me. I love dissecting stuff in words. I'm not the type of person who spends hours every day writing fanfiction stories or poems. But that's just because I know I suck at it, and I haven't come up with anything interesting. I do write personal stories now and then. Most people I know who aren't authors but like story writers have hundreds of writing errors and have a lot of issues with their plot which a basic fiction writing course could've helped fix. They write for a hobby and never get anywhere. I think creative writing and poetry courses are very useful.

Last edited by rid9; 02-06-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-07-2017, 06:14 PM

804 posts, read 550,260 times
Get your GED from a real physical place, go to a community college and up your grades. You claim to have 4.0. GPA so studying should not be a problem. Transfer to a real Bachelors college who credits can be moved around the nation and not inbound. I am talking about all of those cities from "living in America song".

Go and ask the department leaders of the majors you want to study. You can do that and it is an option. You can walk right into the offices and request for a meeting with the department head of that specific field of studies.

Bottom line is that you have people traveling from states across the seas and nations as well to come to your areas just to go to college. So you have to think about what they expect from you.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 4,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Get your GED from a real physical place, go to a community college and up your grades. You claim to have 4.0. GPA so studying should not be a problem. Transfer to a real Bachelors college who credits can be moved around the nation and not inbound. I am talking about all of those cities from "living in America song".

Go and ask the department leaders of the majors you want to study. You can do that and it is an option. You can walk right into the offices and request for a meeting with the department head of that specific field of studies.

Bottom line is that you have people traveling from states across the seas and nations as well to come to your areas just to go to college. So you have to think about what they expect from you.
I have a HSD. And I'm in a regionally accredited college right now. My credits will transfer. The problem is just paying for it as I go, but it should be okay. Now I'm just concerned about what kind of jobs I can find with a philosophy & English degree.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,888,817 times
Goodness, why make things so damn complicated? Just get what you need to qualify to enter an in-state university. Do CC if you need to as the credits will transfer over.

What kind of jobs can you find? I am sure websites and people here will provide a wonderful list of jobs, but fact is that you are also going against a lot more competition for those jobs due to so many people having these soft degrees. You say you are not good at math? How about trying again? Colleges offer all kinds of remedial courses to get you up to speed.

As for paying it, I have no idea. Loans is an option, I rather be $30k in student loan debt with an employable degree, than slinging it out on retail wages hoping for a break in life. Military also and use the GI Bill and take courses while on active duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities