Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,478,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But my parents were not happy to hear this at all and were quite disappointed. They said that since I am 32, I should take some sort of post secondary education
I dunno, do I sound like I am afraid and blame let my past mistakes control me too much maybe?
You sure don't sound like you are 32. More like 18.

Why do you care so much about what your parents think? What have you been doing all this time to support yourself?

Or do you still live at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,233,634 times
Would you be using your own money or you parent's money for the school?? Do you have enough money to support yourself while in school and seeking employment in the film industry?? If it is your money go for it!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,807,468 times
There are so many unanswered questions. How are you currently supporting yourself? Where is the money for school coming from? Are you getting real world experience or just projects you initiated? Have you made money of your selected field? You had a practical job and didn't like it, so are you currently not working?

It is great to have a passion to do something (I never have had this). However I think your parent's main point is have a plan and a path. It doesn't sound like you have one and you are in your thirties. You don't sound prepared for the realities of life.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:39 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times
Quote:
I have made one actual short film before, that has an actual story. I have also made a couple of documentary projects, one I am still finishing. And I have volunteered as a boom op and sound recordist, to help others on their movies. But that's it so far. I have been trying to make other short films with stories to tell, but having trouble finding cast and crew, and good scripts. Out of all the people I worked under only one of the movies was finished and went to film festivals around the country, as well as some foreign countries.
Have you made any money at film-making yet?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,221,769 times
Stick to your guns. Your head is (as they used to say) "screwed on right." Most very successful people in that field learned it all on their own. Eventually rubbing elbows with the right person catapulted them to fame and fortune.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Stick to your guns. Your head is (as they used to say) "screwed on right." Most very successful people in that field learned it all on their own. Eventually rubbing elbows with the right person catapulted them to fame and fortune.
Do you work in film or have any connections to it?

Old 01-17-2017, 01:05 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,302,656 times
Quote:
I have made one actual short film before, that has an actual story. I have also made a couple of documentary projects, one I am still finishing. And I have volunteered as a boom op and sound recordist, to help others on their movies. But that's it so far. I have been trying to make other short films with stories to tell, but having trouble finding cast and crew, and good scripts. Out of all the people I worked under only one of the movies was finished and went to film festivals around the country, as well as some foreign countries.
The huge advantage to going to an excellent school for whatever the profession, is that you find like-minded people there and form relationships with them which help you out in the profession. So if you go to an excellent film school, there are going to be others there who are excellent students who are after the same thing and you have a much better chance of becoming successful at what you want to do than going at it on your own.

If, and this is a big "if", if you had access to people doing real work already in the industry and you could work with them and learn, that would another choice.

The really sad assumption people make is thinking that simply the school itself is going to make them into something, and that's not the case for any profession. There are terrible dentists, accountants, sales people, attorneys, etc., who didn't work as hard as others and didn't have a passion for what they were doing.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:12 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,425,868 times
If the film school you want to go to is USC then by all means go for it. The connections alone will be worth it for you. I know one Director from USC and a writer from USC. A woman here at work has a grandson that went to USC and is now a Director.

One of our former coworkers moms wanted her to go into medicine. She changed her major to film although she was working at one of our clinics. For the past 5 years she has been working on several shows in a production capacity. Her mom kept telling her that it would be a waste of time to go ino film. Realize that she was in her early 20's and not in her 30's.

I kind of find it funny that someone in their 30's is concerned about what the parents think. Then again I was married at 24 and had kids not too long after that.

Let me add, I was in a film and worked on a studio lot for a few years. I have a brother that is an actor.

I can tell you this, it is a long and boring job being part of a production.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:00 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,221,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Do you work in film or have any connections to it?
No, but I've read Movie Mirror and Enquirer a lot for like, 40 years.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:07 AM

122 posts, read 153,174 times
I was never much of the dreamer type, but I have enough relatives that rejected their status quo to pursue (and in some cases fail at) their passions.

You are fortunate to have parents that support your dream (regardless of your age).

If I was 32 years old (14 years of adulthood), assuming you're not married, no kids, working full time (hopefully a little more or at least a side hustle), and you've started some type of savings at this point I'd probably skip film school and give myself a 5-8 year timeline to see if it was something I could make a living off.

I'd consider film school only if my parents were gifting me film school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities