Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,721,645 times

Advertisements

how does your finance look right now? how will you pay for the 5th year of school? I am all for people taking their time to graduate because the real world is not all its cracked up to be and its very competitive. Staying behind in university and using that time to get ahead is far more beneficial. but I rarely see 2nd major useful for anyone. It ends up being a glorified degree to brag up. well that is pretty silly to waste thousands of dollar for bragging right.

I would recommend you put all your effort in to finding an internship. Graduate in 5 years but only because you took internship & gained valuable work experience. since your cc credits are not transferring, to me it seems silly for you to repeat the 5 course you already took plus more. Why not get an internship, graduate in finance, & then or simultaneously go back to your CC for part time and get associate in political science. This way your past credit will count.

I was in your shoe once. I went into college for Math degree because it was the easiest subject to me but in my 2nd year I switched to Chemistry thinking I will have slightly better/direct career option than with math degree. I declared double major in my 3rd year feeling very confident in myself. But in 4th year I started a real debate on walking out with major/minor or getting dual major by adding 2 extra semester. I went to many advisor session & spoke to career advisor. I was very confused but in the end what got to me is when an advisor said "it seems like you really just want to finish what you started whether it makes sense or not, go ahead". Somehow that made sense to me and helped me walk out with major/minor. I went back to grad school but never went back to my minor subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 01:15 PM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44 View Post
Unfortunately I do not have a minor. My college isn't taking the credits I've earned in my Community College for either the major or the minor. They want the political science to be in residency. I didn't really volunteer in the election. I went to rallies and I wrote a persuasive enough letter to one of the campaigns to give me a ticket to one of the debates which they did. which is cool but I don't think I could put that on my resume. My dilemma is I can finish my finance major in four years but if I want to finish my political science major I have to stay the five years
I would take another coiuple of Poli Sci courses, and call it a minor on your resume. It sounds like you've done enough coursework at your CC to qualify (de facto, though not de jure) for a minor if you add a couple more courses. The point is that for a Poli Sci related job, you'd have the background. Whether that was recognized officially or not, IMO, is beside the point. If you'd gone to a different school that credited you for your CC courses, you'd have the minor. Job searching is about marketing yourself, your background, your career interests, your experience. Don't sell yourself short.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:10 AM

256 posts, read 618,288 times
My daughter got double degrees in Physiology and Microbiology. She got both in 4 years and she was on a full ride scholarship so it did not cost anything. A medical career is in her future, so she felt it was worth it.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,352,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I would take another coiuple of Poli Sci courses, and call it a minor on your resume. It sounds like you've done enough coursework at your CC to qualify (de facto, though not de jure) for a minor if you add a couple more courses.
That is one the most irresponsible advice I have come across on the internet. What Ruth4Truth suggested is to lie on a resume. Using that same logic, Ruth4Truth might also suggest taking a few more online political science courses and claiming a political science major on the resume. Why stick with a de facto minor when you can invent a de facto major. The possibilities for untruth are endless.

If the OP does not meet the university's criteria for a minor or a major in political science, then the OP should NOT lie about it on the resume. Majors and minors show up on university transcripts and can be easily verified with the university's registrar. Lying about your educational credentials speaks volume about your character, and if the lie is uncovered, will have implications on your career and reputation.

To the OP, show your maturity and integrity by rejecting Ruth4Truth's suggestion. All the best to you.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:52 PM

729 posts, read 536,595 times
15 years ago at APC I worked with one of the top experts in battery technology. His major? Master of Arts in Poly Sci.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,805,691 times
The answer is nobody cares about minor. I should have a minor in accounting because I was very close to finishing it before I switch to engineering. However, my background in accounting helps me in real life tremendously. So my advice is don't go into debt for this minor. Just pick one that you can graduate as best as you can. These degree majors and minors don't really limit you.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:13 AM

102,266 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
That is one the most irresponsible advice I have come across on the internet. What Ruth4Truth suggested is to lie on a resume. Using that same logic, Ruth4Truth might also suggest taking a few more online political science courses and claiming a political science major on the resume. Why stick with a de facto minor when you can invent a de facto major. The possibilities for untruth are endless.

If the OP does not meet the university's criteria for a minor or a major in political science, then the OP should NOT lie about it on the resume. Majors and minors show up on university transcripts and can be easily verified with the university's registrar. Lying about your educational credentials speaks volume about your character, and if the lie is uncovered, will have implications on your career and reputation.

To the OP, show your maturity and integrity by rejecting Ruth4Truth's suggestion. All the best to you.
You can say you have a "minor equivalent" in Poli Sci. Employers are fine with that; some even advise applicants, after an interview, to say they have an "MA equivalent" or other degree-equivalent, based on their experience.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:56 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,352,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can say you have a "minor equivalent" in Poli Sci. Employers are fine with that; some even advise applicants, after an interview, to say they have an "MA equivalent" or other degree-equivalent, based on their experience.
I'm sure you can find examples of employers who are willing to overlook inconsistencies and even lies on resumes. In general, however, employers are not keen on hiring candidates who falsify academic credentials.

If one did not obtain the credential, one should not lie about it on the resume. An applicant may discuss taking substantial coursework in another subject area during an interview, but to manufacture an "equivalent" degree on a resume is utterly absurd. Which institution conferred this "equivalent" degree? I'm sure most institutions of higher learning would object to their alumni making up "equivalent" degrees on their CVs.

I have never seen an "MA equivalent" or "PhD equivalent" on a resume from anyone who obtained his/her academic credentials in the United States. In fact, if it were used, it would only call attention to the fact that the applicant DID NOT obtain said degrees. I would flag it for HR to audit.

The only instance I can think of where "equivalent" is acceptable is when it is used to explain academic credentials across education systems. For example, the first professional degree for a physician in many parts of the world is an MBBS or MBBChir. It is acceptable for an applicant to say, for example, University of Cambridge, MBBChir (MD equivalent) 1992 or University of Cambridge, MB/PhD (MD/PhD equivalent) 2016. Many times, though, these professional degrees are in specialized fields and it is unnecessary to explain, as people in the field are already familiar with them.

In short, don't manufacture degrees and credentials on your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities