Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 06:17 PM

146 posts, read 84,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I'd be peeved just on principle, the grade and potential loss of scholarship would be aggravating factors.

In a college Psych course, I had a test question regarding memory functions. I don't remember now just exactly what the question was (this was back around 1985), but the gist of it was that the answer required a discrimination between 'photographic' memory and eidetic memory. I answered the question correctly according to the definitions of each, but my answer was marked 'wrong'. I knew that my answer was correct according to the way the question was worded so I protested (after class). When I explained my position the prof agreed and changed my score...and I got extra credit for being the only one to recognize the problem. That was a good prof.

Me, I'd fight it 'til the cows came home...but I'm one of those people who just can't let a thing go when I know I'm right, regardless of the consequences. (Which often doesn't win me any favors here on C-D.)
I know what you mean. It might be smarter to just let it go, even if I lose my scholarship but... I am sick and tired of "just let it go, she is a prof. maybe she was tired. Maybe, it was you not studying enough..." No, professor is not always right. We are all adults, I am in an accelerated nursing program, and i work full time, I am stressed and tired beyond belief, and every mistake i make (or if I ever run late for a clinical) it has consequences)... but professors, can't even bother.. and they are not exactly bright either (this professor argued it was late sign, until i had to prove it was an early sign) and just can't let it go.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 PM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times
It had better be an ultimately big deal for you to make a big deal about it. It isn't always about being right, sometimes it's about being smart and playing the game.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephineF View Post
I understand, but if I lose my A for 0.5 %, I am losing my scholarship, and I am already struggling financially. Her stubbornness is more than just one question.
I'd appeal it to a higher authority if my scholarship was on the line. Unless she's in a position to retaliate against you in some other way. Do you need to have her for other classes?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
When I was in college I was so driven that I was frequently in this situation. Best thing anyone ever taught me was that you don't have to go to every fight you're invited to.

It's a matter of evaluating your ability to make a difference, possible consequences and how much emotional energy you are willing to expend.

Funny story from this time in my life: a bit of a hack of an English professor who often had alcohol on his breath gave me a "C" on a paper. This was an unusual blow to my ego as I almost always got an "A" or "B" and I knew that I had done a good job.

So I went in to talk to him. He said he never changed a grade but I wasn't satisfied with that brush-off and pled my case with examples of the amount of research I'd done and the amount of time I had taken to plan, write and revise.

When I was finally finished, after a brief pause he shrugged his shoulders and said with resigned finality, "Well, by the time I'd gotten to your paper I had already given too many "A"s and "B"s." With some people it isn't worth wasting your breath.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:25 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times
How many books support you? Make sure this isn't something that is a solid fact, not something that's in dispute. Find more than one source.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
OP, I hope you understand completely and clearly that those *signs* are not the absolute for everyone.
Humans do not fit the same cookie cutter Doctors wish they did.
I was mis-diagnosed because the moron who had the nerve to call himself a Doctor did not listen to me when I told him that I did not have what he diagnosed. The result is more physical, permanent damage than I would have had if he had listened to me.
Being *right* really only matters when it comes down to the diagnosis for the patient, not some random question on a quiz. Set your sights on the proper priority.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
When I was in college I was so driven that I was frequently in this situation. Best thing anyone ever taught me was that you don't have to go to every fight you're invited to.

It's a matter of evaluating your ability to make a difference, possible consequences and how much emotional energy you are willing to expend.

Funny story from this time in my life: a bit of a hack of an English professor who often had alcohol on his breath gave me a "C" on a paper. This was an unusual blow to my ego as I almost always got an "A" or "B" and I knew that I had done a good job.

So I went in to talk to him. He said he never changed a grade but I wasn't satisfied with that brush-off and pled my case with examples of the amount of research I'd done and the amount of time I had taken to plan, write and revise.

When I was finally finished, after a brief pause he shrugged his shoulders and said with resigned finality, "Well, by the time I'd gotten to your paper I had already given too many "A"s and "B"s." With some people it isn't worth wasting your breath.

Yes, and it is sad that these people actually are being paid for that. I, for example, took my weekend off from work to study for this exam, now I am struggling to cover this week expenses, but my prof can do whatever she wants, she gets paid and I will probably face consequences if I bring this up.
In your cases, you spent hours writing, but he can't put an effort into grading.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,646 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
I understand, but if I lose my A for 0.5 %, I am losing my scholarship, and I am already struggling financially. Her stubbornness is more than just one question.
Ok, so I get it. This might actually be the hill you're willing to die on. If you're facing losing your entire scholarship over this and other questions on tests in this one class, you need to go above her head and resolve this grade issue right now.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:42 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,056,040 times
Quote:
I know what you mean. It might be smarter to just let it go, even if I lose my scholarship but... I am sick and tired of "just let it go, she is a prof. maybe she was tired. Maybe, it was you not studying enough..." No, professor is not always right. We are all adults, I am in an accelerated nursing program, and i work full time, I am stressed and tired beyond belief, and every mistake i make (or if I ever run late for a clinical) it has consequences)... but professors, can't even bother.. and they are not exactly bright either (this professor argued it was late sign, until i had to prove it was an early sign) and just can't let it go.
If your scholarship is in jeopardy, please fight for what is right, and please do not just be a doormat and lose your scholarship, regardless of what others on this forum may be telling you.

Look at it this way: if the professor stole from your bank account the amount of money the scholarship was worth, would you press charges against her for theft, or would you just let it go? Hopefully you would press charges in that case. You need to realize that this is basically the same scenario, so you should fight to get your grade corrected so that you don't lose the scholarship that is rightfully yours.

Yes, you do run a serious risk of making an enemy out of this professor. But with your scholarship in jeopardy, you have no real choice. Even if the professor tries to retaliate against you in the future, there isn't really anything she can do that is worse than costing you your scholarship.

To those of you who are telling the OP to just let it go and be a doormat and lose her scholarship: would you be willing to pay me the amount of money that the OP's scholarship is worth? I doubt it. So why should the OP be a doormat and just willingly give up that money that she rightfully earned?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
How many books support you? Make sure this isn't something that is a solid fact, not something that's in dispute. Find more than one source.
Well, the book that she listed in the syllabus supports it. I also googled it (I know not the most reliable source, but i don't have any other books) and the internet said: "Paresthesia is an early sign, which later progresses to pulselessness. Pretty clear to me.

Again, she is arguing that paresthesia was the only option offered that had something to do with ischemia. For me that is not good enough since the question was specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities