Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:46 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,979,018 times

Advertisements

My parents paid for private school and college. According to my dad it was the best money he ever spent. Got rid of us when we turned 18 and we've not been back to sponge off of him since!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 04:34 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,943,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My parents could have paid for mine but they didn’t & I don’t blame them one bit!

I was expelled from the entire school district on my 16th birthday, left home to live with my 19 year old boyfriend & his parents in their trailer & was pregnant by the time I was 17.

How much should they have invested, when at age 18; with a 9th grade education & an 8 month old baby ... I decided to go to college?

Probably exactly what they did: $0.00. So I did it the hard way. I worked. I qualified for Pell grants & for two semesters I had to take out loans. And 4 years later, I got to be part of the 2% of US women in my situation that actually graduated.
CONGRATULATIONS! A hard earned turn-around for you.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:43 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,334,199 times
My guardians didn't have money for me to go to college and I didn't get good enough grades in the subjects I needed to pursue my interest at the time. My husband and I didn't pay for our sons college - he got scholarships and the VA helped pay.

OP - are you annoyed at your parents because they didn't pay for your college?

Old 05-05-2018, 08:49 PM

227 posts, read 247,859 times
It’s really nice to see more people like me. I went to school out of state, and because of that, I wasn’t eligible for scholarships. I would have gotten my entire education paid for if I had graduated in the state where I went to school.

I worked roughly 30 hours a week and also managed to graduate with honors in 3 years. There has to be a ton of people with serious debt. Mine isn’t “horrible” (45k), but I stress about it all the time. My parents did assist with paying for my car insurance and housing bills, and I’m very thankful for them doing that.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 AM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
It’s really nice to see more people like me. I went to school out of state, and because of that, I wasn’t eligible for scholarships. I would have gotten my entire education paid for if I had graduated in the state where I went to school.

I worked roughly 30 hours a week and also managed to graduate with honors in 3 years. There has to be a ton of people with serious debt. Mine isn’t “horrible” (45k), but I stress about it all the time. My parents did assist with paying for my car insurance and housing bills, and I’m very thankful for them doing that.
That's the same decision both our kids made, with us fully participating in the decision. It was a conscious decision that even with debt, the out of state school provided a better education than the in state school.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 9,487,472 times
Never got a penny from my parents, used the GI BIll

The ironic part is the majority of people who have the GI Bill, won't use it. Go figure.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
It is not at all unusual for adult students to pay their own way (whether adults at age 16 or at age 36). 100% of our family has done that for generations. Most of our peers do / have done the same, for themselves, for their families. (i.e. student uses many ways to save / pay for their own college.) Mine got very small loans and also high risk / high skilled jobs during college. (Wildfire fighting and Alaska fishing). If your college debt was 10 yrs ago, your loans were very inexpensive and could / should have been consolidated @ ~3% when the deal was presented. So why has your interest 'increased'? How much are you paying towards principle? Most people pay (waste) more than $12k every yr on their home interest. (which they consider an investment (?), as is an EDU.

What is the outstanding balance?
What is your repayment plan? (There are still employers and Service jobs (usually Federal Gov gigs) that forgive college debt in exchange for your services)

(We all have to address those steps for EACH of our obligations). No shortage of obligations in life. Paying their own way through college was not my kid's first obligation. They had been financially on their own long before college. As with my parents... it was MUCH cheaper to go live somewhere else than to stay @ home! (I left home at age 15, living a lot of HS from the back of a pickup truck, in between jobs and school). I accrued NO DEBT for college. I worked 3 jobs (as usual) during college. And before and after college.... for decades after college.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,580,035 times
You are not alone there my friend, I paid for my own college tuition. I worked my ass off as a full time employee while attending school full time as well.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:51 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,619,869 times
My parents paid for their entire college education. Can't say the same for myself though. The divorce agreement forced my father, mother, and me to each pay 33% respectively. Talk about a wonky way to win from a bad situation!

Old 05-07-2018, 06:44 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
I am very proud that I have paid for every single penny of my own education. Used G.I. Bill, used student loans, etc.

I never got this attitude by some that feel parents have some sort of responsibility to fund their kid's educations, and end up taking out second mortgages and other nonsense to fund this education. How about working while going to school? How about going to community college for a few years to save costs and then getting scholarships? How about joining the military?

Hey, if the parents have a lot of spare change lying around to pay for their kid's education, more power to them. But I am proud that I did it all on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities