Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:46 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I

Hey, if the parents have a lot of spare change lying around to pay for their kid's education, more power to them. But I am proud that I did it all on my own.
I understand if parents don't want their kids to start off with student debt or work full time to pay off their student debt while attending school.

For most parents like mine, it's simply not realistic. Once you leave the house, their financial obligation for your welfare is over.

I'm young but down the line should I have kids, I don't think I would allow them to have so much debt without paying for atleast a portion of it. Helping your kids like that may help them stay out of your house, as opposed to having to move back in because their finances are jacked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
My parents paid for private school and college. According to my dad it was the best money he ever spent. Got rid of us when we turned 18 and we've not been back to sponge off of him since!
Well, he did pay for college, so he didn't 'get rid of you' as you state, at 18, he was still paying for 4 more years. As well as already paying big bucks for private school before he paid for your college.

Apparently while you were still on his nickel you weren't actually living under his roof, but you were still "sponging off" him as you deny, but not so cheaply as those who actually live with their parents. More expensive "sponging", but from a distance.

That's not really braggin' rights if you go away from home and dad is still paying your way, Sydney.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
I've read that about 75% of college students fully or partially fund their education. That's a lot.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
You're not alone. My parents also did not pay for my college. And I never skipped a class because I knew exactly how much each class was costing me. .
My parents paid my full tuition, but I never skipped class either. Made Dean's List several semesters.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:56 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My parents paid my full tuition, but I never skipped class either. Made Dean's List several semesters.
You did much better than most of my friends who had a "full ride via parents"-- a lot of class skipping amongst friends.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:06 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,103 times
Default College expense in "a-by-gone-era"

My college years:..1950 through 1954. Different World!!!
Father died before I graduated Grade school, thus my wonderful Mom did what she could.....Every couple of weeks I'd get a letter from Mom with $5. ( I went to college at a small Catholic College out of state 188 miles away, & they took into account the family circumstances to a certain degree.)
From 6th grade on through high school and college, I had a part time job of some kind during the School Months.
During the non school summer months, I worked full time jobs......the last 4 college years in summer, I worked on an Asphalt Paving gang, drawing Union wage.
During college school months, I had 2 jobs: worked at a Shell Oil gas station nights and most week ends......however the best job I had during those college years was being the "On-school-campus" representative for the largest Floral Shop in town!!!
In those days any guy that had a girl friend, would buy her a Corsage for virtually any date:...Football games;.. dances;....movies;.... local social functions etc, etc, etc.
.....I GOT 50% OF THE COST OF EVERY SALE!!!!!!.....
HOME COMING WEEKENDS EVERY YEAR, I 'd make up to $300.
I ran a cash only business out of my dorm room.
I had to pick up all the corsages from the shop....take them to my room and keep accurate records.....GREAT, GREAT JOB FOR A YOUNG GUY WORKING HIS WAY THROUGH SCHOOL.
It also was how I met the girl who would end up being my wife for 51 yrs(local Girls College 12 blocks away).........some times Good Things happen to Good Guys!!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Never got a penny from my parents, used the GI BIll

The ironic part is the majority of people who have the GI Bill, won't use it. Go figure.
My husband served during a time he didn't qualify for the GI Bill. He wishes he had. He earned an (expensive, for-profit school) associates degree in his 30s and would have loved to have gotten a bachelors or beyond but it wasn't in the cards for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
My parents paid for private school and college. According to my dad it was the best money he ever spent. Got rid of us when we turned 18 and we've not been back to sponge off of him since!
I went to public school and paid my way through college and haven't been back to "sponge off" parents since, either!

Old 05-07-2018, 11:30 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
You did much better than most of my friends who had a "full ride via parents"-- a lot of class skipping amongst friends.
My parents fully paid for my college. In four years, I never missed a class - not one! I appreciated the hard work my parents put into paying for college. Neither one of them went to college, and it was important to them that their children get a higher education. They raised me to be grateful, and I was.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Am I the only one?! I feel like it. I come across sooo many people who were lucky enough for their parents to pay for college. My loans have increased $12,000 in interest since the 8 years I’ve been out of college. It just sucks....
Seems like you didn't get a very good education, either, since you don't know the difference between "who's" and "whose".

Old 05-08-2018, 08:32 AM

227 posts, read 247,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Seems like you didn't get a very good education, either, since you don't know the difference between "who's" and "whose".
Oh look! Here is the Grammar Police!

I graduated high school in 3 years and college in 3 years, both of which I made top honors. I now work for a Fortune 100 company. Apparently they didn’t care if I made a grammar mistake here or there.

Get a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities