Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 07:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, thank you. Excellent post. Also, socialize and develop relationships which is also very important.
depends...

*If you are going into politics..., 'college socialization skills' Might be a plus (if you were lacking that skill... forgot to nurture it in Jr High...)

*Relationships in College are GREAT if you meet a buddy to help with your business /career / community contribution. As in all relationships... there are those that take you forward, and those that take you DOWN. (more college relationships are in the later category. YMMV

https://www.forbes.com/sites/learnve.../#ac43d632a920
https://www.businessinsider.com/10-s...-worked-2011-6
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/coll...gether-n789131

I will venture to GUESS (don't need to guess)... that WORKING relationship might be of more value / career / success than college. Tho I just met (3) partners who got together in NZ for college and have a very nice international business empire. (operations now in 7 countries)

beware who you hook up with.

Nearly all my GOOD relationships in college were with WORKING adults (with families) who were also attending college FT. and VERY engaged in the value / experience of LEARNING. My last trip through college was a disaster of finding out how LITTLE students know and contribute in today's University education. The younger crowd has NEVER worked (as in career). They have about $0.02 value to ADD to the class and learning experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Very true. You might never know who might wrongfully accuse you of a sex crime.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,604,576 times
When the government gives kids a blank check for college then colleges don’t need to worry about cost or tuition amount. That’s why college is so expensive.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 AM

50,866 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
When the government gives kids a blank check for college then colleges don’t need to worry about cost or tuition amount. That’s why college is so expensive.
Yes, it was designed this way, and lobbied for by both colleges (especially the for-profit tech-type colleges that prey on inner city areas) and lenders. Once government declared student loans non-dischargeable in bankruptcy, loans stared being pushed on everyone and college costs started rising and rising, simply because they could. Many of the for profit schools even misled students about them, told them "don't worry about them". It had much more to do with big money interests helping themselves to a new trough than any desire to help kids get an education.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:54 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
No one is getting a blank check. And no that's not why college is so expensive. Makes a nice meme but no correct.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
depends...

*If you are going into politics..., 'college socialization skills' Might be a plus (if you were lacking that skill... forgot to nurture it in Jr High...)

*Relationships in College are GREAT if you meet a buddy to help with your business /career / community contribution. As in all relationships... there are those that take you forward, and those that take you DOWN. (more college relationships are in the later category. YMMV

https://www.forbes.com/sites/learnve.../#ac43d632a920
https://www.businessinsider.com/10-s...-worked-2011-6
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/coll...gether-n789131

I will venture to GUESS (don't need to guess)... that WORKING relationship might be of more value / career / success than college. Tho I just met (3) partners who got together in NZ for college and have a very nice international business empire. (operations now in 7 countries)

Nearly all my GOOD relationships in college were with WORKING adults (with families) who were also attending college FT. and VERY engaged in the value / experience of LEARNING. My last trip through college was a disaster of finding out how LITTLE students know and contribute in today's University education. The younger crowd has NEVER worked (as in career). They have about $0.02 value to ADD to the class and learning experience.

I don't agree at all. And its not deciding about school vs working relationships. Not everything is or should be about "career success". Friendships / social relationships are primarily about fun and emotional support. Life without that isn't worth living.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:00 PM

281 posts, read 812,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

Our local CC is (roughly) $3,000/year for tuition and fees.
Our local 4 year college is (roughly) $7,000/year for tuition and fees.
There is a reciprocal agreement between the two for *most* degrees.
There is much I could say here - I have worked in higher ed for 30 years so am so intimately familiar with this problem I could speak to it in my sleep and the truth is really a mix of what is said. I'm living the issue with my daughter who is a Jr. The answer is absolutely not as simple as many make it out to be. I'll leave it at that.

I did have to note that you are one lucky poster from whatever state has these very low rates for school- our local CC is $5,000 per year for tuition and fees if you are a county resident, if you are out of county but in state it is $8,000 and our in state universities are $11,500 for tuition and fees.

Coming from a state (CA) where it cost much less overall with the CC system included I think these are relatively high.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,112,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJeff View Post

Most kids in college should have accepted offers 3 months before graduation.
God this forum is full of self riteous tools. I graduated with a 3.6 GPA and was on the student council. Had no job offer but got one within a month of graduating. Just accepted a job offer for almost 140k 5 years later.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:50 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBeth View Post
There is much I could say here - I have worked in higher ed for 30 years so am so intimately familiar with this problem I could speak to it in my sleep and the truth is really a mix of what is said. I'm living the issue with my daughter who is a Jr. The answer is absolutely not as simple as many make it out to be. I'll leave it at that.

I did have to note that you are one lucky poster from whatever state has these very low rates for school- our local CC is $5,000 per year for tuition and fees if you are a county resident, if you are out of county but in state it is $8,000 and our in state universities are $11,500 for tuition and fees.

Coming from a state (CA) where it cost much less overall with the CC system included I think these are relatively high.
Excellent post! I also used to work in higher education. My sons' grandmother is an administrator at the local community college. I am in PA...full-time tuition at the local community college is $5K a year for county residents...and about $8K a year for those outside of the county. I live less then 2 miles from the county line...and the surrounding counties have community college that exist....but offer FAR less in regards of majors and course offerings. Even so, the CC in my home county has wide-spread campuses and in order to make progress through your major, you often times need to take classes on mulitple-campuses or online (I earned my graduate degree online and worked in the online division at the college where I was employed; I will be the first to tell anyone that online courses are not everyone's forte). Even then you may need to wait a semester or two until you are able to take required coursework...especially if you are working and you are trying to take classes at night or on weekends.

When I lived in Southeast FL, CC was way cheaper and you had a lot more options in regards to course offerings and locations. Yes, that metro area was larger...however my PA metro is not 'small town'...it's a major metropolitan area in the state.

We address higher education like it is a monolith...and it is not. Truth is you were you live and your economic means will determine your range of options in regards to higher education. This is why the for-profit colleges get so much traction with lower income prospects. The product is bad...but they make it very easy and accessible. Couple that with the fact that many employers won't even consider your resume/application unless you have a college degree....even for entry level positions that don't even require a degree (my company is one of them). So what exactly are people supposed to do? You do what you can with the resources that you have and go from there.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:34 AM

4,979 posts, read 2,719,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Excellent post! I also used to work in higher education. My sons' grandmother is an administrator at the local community college. I am in PA...full-time tuition at the local community college is $5K a year for county residents...and about $8K a year for those outside of the county. I live less then 2 miles from the county line...and the surrounding counties have community college that exist....but offer FAR less in regards of majors and course offerings. Even so, the CC in my home county has wide-spread campuses and in order to make progress through your major, you often times need to take classes on mulitple-campuses or online (I earned my graduate degree online and worked in the online division at the college where I was employed; I will be the first to tell anyone that online courses are not everyone's forte). Even then you may need to wait a semester or two until you are able to take required coursework...especially if you are working and you are trying to take classes at night or on weekends.

When I lived in Southeast FL, CC was way cheaper and you had a lot more options in regards to course offerings and locations. Yes, that metro area was larger...however my PA metro is not 'small town'...it's a major metropolitan area in the state.

We address higher education like it is a monolith...and it is not. Truth is you were you live and your economic means will determine your range of options in regards to higher education. This is why the for-profit colleges get so much traction with lower income prospects. The product is bad...but they make it very easy and accessible. Couple that with the fact that many employers won't even consider your resume/application unless you have a college degree....even for entry level positions that don't even require a degree (my company is one of them). So what exactly are people supposed to do? You do what you can with the resources that you have and go from there.
Yes, an interesting paradox has formed. On one hand, getting a college degree does not open many doors to success any more, yet it has become way more expensive to get one. Diminishing returns as the expense goes up.

Yet on the other hand, more and more employers are requiring a college degree, even for entry level jobs and positions that don't need a degree to be successful in.

So people are forced to get those expensive degrees in the hope of getting a white collar job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities