Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 02:16 PM

9,336 posts, read 16,723,792 times

Advertisements

Grand daughter's school reopening but single rooms, no socializing in others rooms, on line courses, quarantine for first two weeks in dorm room with food delivered. With the cost of tuition, it's more like being in a prison. She is not returning rather chooses to take online courses locally, which is a lot less expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 02:21 PM

515 posts, read 362,872 times
Colleges are not going to make it very far. A month tops before an outbreak. Hopefully they are prepared with a quarantine dorm. Students will socialize in the dorms, you can't stop them outside of the dorm being like a prison. So if kids want to go to a college under those circumstances go ahead. If I was a young person, it would be gap year or online from home.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:59 AM

9,451 posts, read 14,408,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
Colleges are not going to make it very far. A month tops before an outbreak. Hopefully they are prepared with a quarantine dorm. Students will socialize in the dorms, you can't stop them outside of the dorm being like a prison. So if kids want to go to a college under those circumstances go ahead. If I was a young person, it would be gap year or online from home.
I agree, all those "plans" and "guidelines" do not actually work as planned.

And the first ones to make it unworkable are those who come up with the "plans" and "guidelines".

The best realistic plan is to stay at home until all these "plans" and "guidelines" are no longer necessary.

I'm thinking fourth quarter, i.e. March 2021, but I may be optimistic.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:07 PM

5,746 posts, read 2,797,630 times
My kid will be attending a U Cal school this fall. All the classes are going to be online. Housing is the issue. The school wants them to come down and dorm up in doubles with appropriate distancing, food service precautions, etc.
So why go down? We have until Friday to cancel the housing contract. Looking at it now the choice seems simple to stay at home but what about Winter quarter? What if they decide to go back to in person class, but there is no room at the dorms? Students in the dorms get dibs.

So either spend 5k on a housing contract that will be more like prison, or cancel it and take the risk we don't get in winter or spring quarter if we need to.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:27 AM

7,267 posts, read 7,141,928 times
That is a dilemma. DD's school also cut housing availability. I don't know what we'll do for spring semester but she's staying home for fall.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:45 AM

841 posts, read 558,913 times
My university started back today. Oddly enough, our enrollment is up 7%. Obviously we will have to wait for the final enrollment number that doesn't come for a few weeks, but we are optimistic. Lots of recruiting this summer. We offer Face-to-face, hyflex with synchronous and asynchronous, and online only in the same format the course had always been taught in.

Changed out times - classes are longer, but meet fewer times per week. Large meeting rooms are being set up for larger classes. Suggestions are that half of the class attends one day a week, the other half attends the other day. We have large tents set up outside with tables set up to promote social distancing. We have housing set aside to isolate/quarentine anyone needed that will include meal delivery and trash pickup. We are getting sent 1300 free tests each month for students. (14K total enrollment, with many of those already online only.)

I'm a bit excited to see where we are in a few weeks. Lots of planning. We've been back at full staff since the beginning of July. (Faculty are normally off during the summer unless teaching.) There were a lot of students out there who still wanted to get some of the true college experience and that is what our univesity is trying to do - balance that with safety. Will it actually work? Guess we'll find out.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:26 PM

6,651 posts, read 4,380,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
My university started back today. Oddly enough, our enrollment is up 7%. Obviously we will have to wait for the final enrollment number that doesn't come for a few weeks, but we are optimistic. Lots of recruiting this summer. We offer Face-to-face, hyflex with synchronous and asynchronous, and online only in the same format the course had always been taught in.

Changed out times - classes are longer, but meet fewer times per week. Large meeting rooms are being set up for larger classes. Suggestions are that half of the class attends one day a week, the other half attends the other day. We have large tents set up outside with tables set up to promote social distancing. We have housing set aside to isolate/quarentine anyone needed that will include meal delivery and trash pickup. We are getting sent 1300 free tests each month for students. (14K total enrollment, with many of those already online only.)

I'm a bit excited to see where we are in a few weeks. Lots of planning. We've been back at full staff since the beginning of July. (Faculty are normally off during the summer unless teaching.) There were a lot of students out there who still wanted to get some of the true college experience and that is what our univesity is trying to do - balance that with safety. Will it actually work? Guess we'll find out.
Evidently, it is not working at many universities. My guess is university administrators had a pretty good idea there would be many cases (some resulting in death) when they elected to bring students back.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...da31eeed7d565d

Old 08-21-2020, 09:55 AM

7,267 posts, read 7,141,928 times
I've been watching how college students aren't following the rules.

*shock*

*NOT*

I'm glad we decided to stay home and e-learn. My current bet is her campus won't make it to Sept 30th without major disruptions.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:14 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,236,452 times
The first mistake was to expect a bunch of college-age kids to follow social distancing rules. From all reports that I've read, it ain't happening. You can't enforce the unenforceable.

Old 08-21-2020, 02:52 PM

10,941 posts, read 5,788,691 times
We started back yesterday. A student in one my classes just found out that a roommate has tested positive, and he is now quarantining.

Didn't take long. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities