Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 10:31 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times

Advertisements

Is this what the future holds for the law? Footing a bill at Yale $$$$ and brainwashing the future lawyers?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/yale-law-...-speech-police
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 11:25 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Okay, I saw the video, and it shows a fairly noisy confrontation.

The statement from Yale also says that once the free speech policy was read to the students they dispersed and the event continued, although the video stops before that happens. This makes me suspect that someone is editing the video with the intent of giving an inaccurate impression of what happened.

When I was a left-wing student at one of the top law schools in the country we did not attempt to disrupt speakers we disagreed with, even when Gerald Ford came to speak there. I do not think it's a credit to these students to attempt to prevent this event from happening, but I also think the story from Fox is distorting what happened.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:19 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

The statement from Yale also says that once the free speech policy was read to the students they dispersed and the event continued, although the video stops before that happens. This makes me suspect that someone is editing the video with the intent of giving an inaccurate impression of what happened.

When I was a left-wing student at one of the top law schools in the country we did not attempt to disrupt speakers we disagreed with, even when Gerald Ford came to speak there. I do not think it's a credit to these students to attempt to prevent this event from happening, but I also think the story from Fox is distorting what happened.
Fact-checking news "sources" like these is important.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:15 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

That's a tidily sanitized version of the story. The disruptive students most certainly did not head straight for the door once read the policy. Per the video the Fox story is much more in line with what happened than Yale's marketing-like follow up.

I get that it's in the collective leftist DNA to squelch the speech of anyone who does not fall in line with current orthodoxy. It's gutless, anti-intellectual, dangerous and common.

Old 03-17-2022, 08:27 PM

84 posts, read 58,296 times
sounds like Sept 2015 article:
THE CODDLING OF THE AMERICAN MIND
In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.

By Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...n-mind/399356/

later they published a book about this subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Co..._American_Mind

Old 03-18-2022, 08:57 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Is this what the future holds for the law? Footing a bill at Yale $$$$ and brainwashing the future lawyers?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/yale-law-...-speech-police
Not just Yale, its all major universities and colleges.

Old 03-19-2022, 01:22 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Federal judge impression of protestors:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/federal-j...e-speech-panel

Old 03-19-2022, 01:39 PM

7,810 posts, read 6,387,950 times
This will just contribute to future civil conflict when these freaks become judges and decide that Whites and Asians have no rights whatsoever, everyone has to pretend that chicks with wangs are really women, speech is violence, and all of the other nonsense that they believe to be fact.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:13 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
This will just contribute to future civil conflict when these freaks become judges and decide that Whites and Asians have no rights whatsoever, everyone has to pretend that chicks with wangs are really women, speech is violence, and all of the other nonsense that they believe to be fact.
I guess that day will happen on some other planet. Won't happen here.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:26 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
An incredible lack of maturity and restraint (perhaps, at least relative to school policy) is hardly indicative the future of law is at stake. To the contrary, the freedom to dissent is at the core of free speech, particularly relative to college campuses i.e. it’s what students do/have done for decades, lol.

That said, re: ‘brainwashing’ - you’re thinking of a cult, not college. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities