Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 05:55 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,883 times

Advertisements

I’m looking for a friendly and kind response to say when people make odd or disparaging remarks about the school that I went to.

For example, I have one sibling, “Pat”. Pat and I are probably equal in intelligence (although Pat might be a bit smarter; I don’t know). We’re both middle-aged adults. Pat has done extremely well; Pat made tens of millions of dollars in business and retired around age 40. I’m still working.

I went to an Ivy League school- one that basically everyone has heard of, and even when I worked abroad, people definitely knew the name. Pat went to a large state university, in a very hard program, even though the school is not well-known.

Whenever Pat sees a mention of another Ivy League school, Pat makes a big deal out of the other ones, saying, for example, that the other school is so amazing, and Pat goes on and about how great the other school is. Pat consistently does this.

I think that Pat is looking to get a rise out of me, but why would I care? I usually say something like, “Yes, that’s a great school.”

I’m not sure what’s driving this. My parents favored Pat and thought that Pat was so amazing and always made it clear that they thought that I was dumb, so it can’t be that. When people ask me where Pat and I went to school, people sometimes comment that Pat must not have done as well, but that’s false; maybe people say similar things to Pat.

Next time Pat starts going on and on about how great other Ivy League schools are, I’m planning to say, “You would easily have gotten admitted into mine, but back then, it didn’t have the programs that you were looking for, so it would have made no sense to go there. But I hope that your children would consider it when they start their college search.”

Would that be a good response: aiming to be affirming and supportive and aiming to show that Pat’s comments don’t bother me?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 07:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
No verbal response will change Pat's "superiority syndrome", a learned and supported behavior from birth. Pat will always come back with a superior response. Let them have their day. "Do not respond to a fool according to their folly, lest you be like them" Proverbs.... I spent a 40 yr career working with and for fools. Get used to it, some USA regions and career fields are full of self absorbed fools.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:14 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
If you have a middle-aged sibling acting like a child, nothing you do is going to change that. The best I could probably manage is, "whatever."

Old 09-12-2022, 07:22 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I’m looking for a friendly and kind response to say when people make odd or disparaging remarks about the school that I went to.
Why would you even engage with someone who makes such remarks?

Old 09-12-2022, 07:25 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Nothing to add other than adults who still obsess over colleges make me LOL.

Take that for what you will.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:25 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
How is Pat saying school X is great putting you down? Aren't all Ivy league schools great?

Old 09-12-2022, 09:01 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Good response when people put down where you went to school?
Quote:
I don’t think there’s anything you can say to change others’ odd behavior/their need to express disparaging remarks; it speaks to their own issues, not yours. That said, are YOU happy with your career choices/life relative to such? Did you attend (any) college relative to your personal satisfaction/career goals/education, or was it for others’ approval? In other words, there will always be people who disagree with (or find negativity in) what you do; if you aren’t happy/accept yourself for who you are, you’ll never (emotionally) stand up to such i.e. living well (and the promotion of education, as a whole) is the best ‘response’.

Quote:
Would that be a good response: aiming to be affirming and supportive and aiming to show that Pat’s comments don’t bother me?
Why be supportive of (or give consideration to) anyone who is not supportive of you? Learn to let go of (or laugh at) the nonsense/pettiness, you’ll be much happier regardless of where you did/didn’t go to college.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:24 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How is Pat saying school X is great putting you down? Aren't all Ivy league schools great?
Pat will specifically say that other Ivy League schools are better than mine.

Even though USNews says otherwise.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:34 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
OP, Pat must feel insecure on some level to react so predictably whenever any Ivy League school is mentioned, not just yours. It's not unusual for people who were unfairly favored as children to be aware that the favoritism was not deserved, or to have felt like imposters the whole time.

In Pat's case, it's surprising he's still manifesting signs of insecurity, after having been so successful in life. Perhaps he's resentful of the fact that his school, which you say had a very strong program in his field, has never gotten public recognition for that program in the same way the reputation of the Ivy League schools is known not only nationally, but globally.

In any case, rather than get annoyed at these predictable displays, feel sorry for him for his lack of maturity. Clearly his mind is burdened by the lack of respect his school gets, which is a heavy and unnecessary burden to carry around. His issues are self-inflicted.

Actually I think your planned response would be a kindness. You could add, that the program he completed was a very challenging one, and obviously prepared him well for success in his field. It probably does get a lot of respect in that field. I wouldn't mention anything about where his kids could or should go to school.

Did any of the Ivy League schools have his program? If not, you could throw that in as well. And you know, even if some of them did, it doesn't mean they were top-notch programs in that field. Schools have their strong departments and their mediocre departments. I could have gone to UC Berkeley, but didn't, because another school had a higher-rated program in one of my fields of interest. For that matter, only one of the Ivy League schools measures up in that field, to the school I attended. Ivy League schools aren't the be-all, end-all across the board academically. Employers in specific fields don't automatically go to the Ivy League schools in their recruiting tours. They go to the schools they know produce graduates who have the strongest skills. That leaves Harvard, Yale and Stanford out in some fields.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-12-2022 at 09:44 AM..

Old 09-12-2022, 09:34 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Pat will specifically say that other Ivy League schools are better than mine.

Even though USNews says otherwise.
Are you sure this isn't something you embody? Not the other way around?

So where did you go? Cornell? Dartmouth? Brown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities