Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 04:42 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Do some universities allow cooking in dorms? Would an induction hot plate be allowed? Would a toaster oven or electric skillet be allowed? If they allow a microwave, is that included with a small dorm refrigerator or would they have to provide their own microwave? Cousin may be starting college and has said he’s considering living in the dorms. These are potential gift ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 05:15 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,276,133 times
The answer is almost certainly on the school-specific website. If not, a phone number for Student Affairs will be.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Dorm life has changed a lot lately. Gone are the days where all rooms are just a bed/desk and little else. Some dorms are more apartment style and have full kitchens in them. Others may have access to a larger kitchen on the floor or among several rooms. I would wait to see what type of dorm the cousin is in before purchasing anything. Most do not allow hot plates but do allow a fridge/microwave. That said, if he is in a dorm that already comes with a full-size fridge, there is likely no need for an individual one.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:32 AM

410 posts, read 343,569 times
The university that your cousin will attend will very likely have a webpage devoted to student housing and what items are permitted in a dorm room and which are not.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:15 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Assuming that it is a room and not an apartment or suite, I would be shocked if they allowed any cooking implements other than a microwave in the room. Don't expect it to be provided. A micro-fridge may be provided. You need to wait and see if your cousin actually goes to college, and then see what that college's rules are regarding your question. If you know what college they will attend, all of the information should be online through Housing and Residence Life. If you can't find the answer to your question, a phone number will be listed.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:56 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
The dorm I lived in, each floor had a center lobby, including a small but complete kitchen (no dishwasher, if I recall). At any rate, a fridge, stove top, oven, and microwave. I'd guess that's not unusual. Maybe there's a shared kitchen for an entire dorm. It's going to totally depend on the individual dormitory in the individual school.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:39 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
The dorm I lived in, each floor had a center lobby, including a small but complete kitchen (no dishwasher, if I recall). At any rate, a fridge, stove top, oven, and microwave. I'd guess that's not unusual. Maybe there's a shared kitchen for an entire dorm. It's going to totally depend on the individual dormitory in the individual school.
^^ this

But, a small refrigerator is a good idea. My son's senior floor had a bunch of foreign students who stolen food.

Most likely, a toaster or any heating element would not be allowed.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:59 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
All depends on the school and may even be dorm specific depending on when they were built. Our oldest dorm required a micro fridge if you wanted a microwave. Wouldn't allow separate fridge and microwave. There were full kitchens if you wanted to cook. I think she and her friends did full Thanksgiving dinners and such. They also allowed items like a kuerig.

Son's dorm sort of looked the other way on induction plates and crockpots but not hotplates.

A lot of older dorms just don't have the electricity for modern needs like computers and printers so limit high current applisnced

Old 10-23-2022, 09:47 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
The university that your cousin will attend will very likely have a webpage devoted to student housing and what items are permitted in a dorm room and which are not.
This is the answer. It depends on what kind of living situation the cousin will be in. Older dorms might still have rooms that are a bed and a desk, with a shared kitchenette down the hall. Newer dorms might be apartment-style with an in-unit kitchen. Most universities don't want students cooking with equipment that would be a fire hazard in their rooms--when I was in college at the turn of this century, I don't know how many times we had fire alarms because people put metal in the microwave or left their illegal hot pot on.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:18 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Depends on the school and their dorm situation. We had a full kitchen in our dorm apartment. Just needed to provide silverware/plates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities