Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2023, 07:49 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
They are paying for an education. If they can’t do the work, they weed themselves out.

You complain about the supposed weed out process, but you seem to forget that every student who successfully completes those degree programs has somehow miraculously made it through what you claim is a weed out process. Employers will of course make the rational decision to hire those that can not only successfully navigate a college education, but can do so while excelling, not just getting by.

How many just-out-of-high-school, no-skill and no-education interns are you hiring to do engineering and accounting work at your place of employment? You know, that which you expect everyone else to do?
I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree. Nothing you say will convince me that you are right. Nothing I say will convince you that I am right. We are just wasting our time and everybody else's time. The topic is Tips for College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 07:58 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I never said hire only interns. Employers would also hire post-college "adult" employees.

Maybe the internships can be unpaid.

Again, maybe the internships can be unpaid.

I disagree.
Exactly who is going to feed, house and pay for all living expenses for these interns until they figure out what they’re suited to do? I’m sorry, but as a parent I’m not taking that on having zero clue how long I’ll be footing all the bills. I told my kids to get through college in 4 years with no summer school. And they did. At the end of that time, they had full time well paying jobs and were off my payroll. Your plan would make parents responsible for who knows how long and with no end date if their kid keeps changing internships. No thanks.

But none of that matters because most companies are not going to hire people who know nothing and take years to train if they can even be trained.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:00 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
And the point I've made many times is the people that we meet are not a random sample of the population.

Have you ever had a full time, non-unionized, private sector job?

Just seems like so many of your comments are clearly from somebody who has never worked in the private sector.
No, but your experience living in the same area of the country (which you admit is a high COLA) for your entire life limits your experience to the people who are from and/or have moved there. A person who has lived in different states, countries, etc will likely have exposure to a larger variety of people. Says a person who has worked in the private and public sector.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Why should college students pay to be weeded out? College students are not getting an education, they are being weeded out. Since business owners are the ones who allegedly benefit from the weedout process, they should be the ones paying for the process. Not the students.
A kid who comes into college as a pre med major should get weeded out if they can’t pass Chem 101. Kids who aren’t capable of succeeding in what they think will be their major should pick another one. And that’s what most of them do. They don’t drop out. They also don’t spend decades moaning that they could have been a neurosurgeon if only they hadn’t gotten weeded out by some professor. Most have enough self awareness to get it’s all on them.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-12-2023 at 08:19 AM..

Old 04-12-2023, 08:09 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
Isn't the overall college dropout rate something like 40% (or higher)?

Old 04-12-2023, 08:09 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
And the point I've made many times is the people that we meet are not a random sample of the population.
Have you ever had a full time, non-unionized, private sector job?
Just seems like so many of your comments are clearly from somebody who has never worked in the private sector.
I suppose you don't consider farming a job either. Or the military.

Bottom line is you haven't had to hire or manage or be responsible for others. You don't have breadth or depth.

Here's some tips.

a. Go to the best, most challenging college you can.
b. Live in a dorm.
c. AP out of the gen eds, but don't AP out of the weed-out classes. Take the weed outs because they will prepare you for the material and challenges that are coming up.
d. Take the 8 AM classes. Often a lot of people won't so the class is smaller and more open to discussion.
e. Get out of your comfort zone and apply to jobs around the country. Broaden your experience.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Isn't the overall college dropout rate something like 40% (or higher)?
In aggregate perhaps, but it varies by type of institution. For profit colleges have much higher dropout rates. So do community colleges.

It also varies by university. For example, the graduation rate at Harvard is 98% while Ole Miss has a graduation rate of 67%.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-12-2023 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-12-2023, 08:39 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree. Nothing you say will convince me that you are right. Nothing I say will convince you that I am right. We are just wasting our time and everybody else's time. The topic is Tips for College.
You don’t have to try and convince me that you're right, just answer the simple question. It’s easy, give it a shot. Here it is again, in case you forgot:

Quote:
How many just-out-of-high-school, no-skill and no-education interns are you hiring to do engineering and accounting work at your place of employment? You know, that which you expect everyone else to do?

Old 04-12-2023, 09:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
A student(?) who has completed HS, and is yet unskilled and uneducated, and incapable of demonstrating initiative and performing entry level skills in a pertinent career field has missed the boat, due to his schools, parents, personal incentive. (Maybe mommy has already paid too long). My international friends who grew up without a garage to tinker in, took engineering and mechanical skilled positions in HS so they would not be sitting on their thumbs after graduation.

Even my Fire Chief friend was working night shift in a Machine Shop during HS, another was Rod Man on a survey crew, several worked facilities jobs in hospitals, some front desk at insurance or accountants, others cleaning at night for Dr and Dentists, many turning wrenches and welding at auto and fabrication shops. I was cleaning 26 toilets at my soon to be employer. (I already had done the drafting, welding, structure design gigs by HS graduation, and had my objectives purposed on a job the had upward mobility and who would PAY 100% for college.). After 3 months of grunt janitorial work, the Machine Shop manager asked me to apply for a position that was freeing up when a teacher was leaving to return to the classroom. I had been a teacher's aid for that instructor during l my HS years, because I knew how to weld, machine, forge, cast, draft, read blueprints... And more importantly.... Knew how to teach my peers. (Because I came from a country school where that was a requirement.)

Hints for college:. Start your career, skills, interest search AND relevant experience, long before you're registering. (I didn't even make it through registration my first year, the next year, my records reported "No Show", that's fine.... I had earned and learned plenty in the absence of college + I was newly 100% responsible for the medical and financial needs of a recently disabled parent.)

Hints for college: other, more important responsibilities may unexpectedly take precedence. Such as a war, or natural or personal disaster. Be prepared.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Hints for college:. As this thread clearly illustrates, perpetual arrogance thrives in academia. Fortunately, it dies in careers that require daily measurable performance.

Be prepared, there are a lot of jerks locked into themselves in academia. That's fine, leave them behind when you graduate, you have a higher purpose and social contribution to achieve. I.e. you better have your values formed long before college. Age 12 is about correct for knowing and demonstrating right from wrong, and was previously considered the age of accountability, before the USA became so 'smart'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities