Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else experienced disrespect from faculty at Universities?
I'm not talking about myself. I'm just wondering about other folks experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Wow, no never.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Oh heck yes.

The community college I just graduated from was great, the most friendly people in the world and they bent over backwards for me and my wife.

The people at the university however were rude from the start. Did not care to assist and basically had the attitude of I was bothering them. It was because of their laziness and ill performance that I missed the summer registration deadline.

The university admissions were so rude in fact that it was the straw that broke the camel's back, my wife and I applied to another university and was promptly accepted.

They gave me such a hassle over my transcripts, they claimed they did not have them even though they were sent from my HS 3 times! After a heated argument, behold! they happen to find them. But by then it was too late, deadline passed and the dopes would not budge on admitting me.

But as I said, it was more than that little incident, the whole admissions process was the biggest pain ever, I have never in my life came across such a beaurocratic mess and such rude people.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
No. No self-important, esoteric, borderline-autistic professor with minimal coping and communication skills has ever condescended to a student. And no student has ever gotten caught up in a unversity's rigid bureaucracy either.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:44 AM

90 posts, read 249,977 times
Of course some professors are rude and disrespectful...they are people, and just like any other people, some are nice and some are jerks. I am a professor, for what its worth, and if someone was consistently having this problem, I'd suggest that they examine two things:

1. Their own behavior. Do they skip class, come in late, not study, ask questions that are clearly covered in the text or in class notes, wait until the last minute to study or do a project, and then whine about their grades while doing the above things? These are some things that are sure to annoy a prof. College isn't like High School. The burden of learning is on the student, not the professor.

2. The kind of school they attend. At some institutions, teaching is an annoying by-product of the job, not the main focus. Especially at a research school, you are likely to get the attitude that you are annoying the professor, because they are focused on cranking out as many papers as they can. I got my undergraduate degree (and am going back to teach at) a liberal arts school that is focused on teaching. The professors went out of their way to do whatever they could to help you learn. If you missed a lot of class, they were even likely to call you to make sure everything was ok. The school I got my PhD at is a huge, top tier research school, and it was a different world in every way. That is something people should really consider when they are choosing a school.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:49 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
professors...no
staff..YES!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
I was in an honors program at my school and the dean of the program was absolutely horrible. Both he and his assistant were not only unhelpful, but seemed to make my life more difficult than necessary. I was appalled. However, the majority of my professors were absolutely wonderful.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No. No self-important, esoteric, borderline-autistic professor with minimal coping and communication skills has ever condescended to a student. And no student has ever gotten caught up in a unversity's rigid bureaucracy either.

Well, hopefully I don't fall into that first category but you are asking a really obvious question, that I believe was already basically discussed in this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/educa...professor.html

Here's to sum it up: People in life will be disrespectful- professors, college students, family, friends, co-workers, bosses and you need to learn how to appropriately handle this disrepect, whether you ignore it, address it with the person, or bring it to their superiors if necessary. That being said, you also need to think as to whether you were treated that person with respect, as many people forget that it goes both ways.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:47 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Your philosophy is wrong.

Ever heard two wrongs don't make a right? As a professional and a more educated person you should work things out with the students not stoop down to the percieved disrespect.

Ever heard of if everybody jumped off a bridge would you also do so? Just because other people behave constantly disrespectful and rude doesn't mean YOU have to follow in their footsteps.

I learned that when I was like 8. Clearly you never did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Well, hopefully I don't fall into that first category but you are asking a really obvious question, that I believe was already basically discussed in this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/educa...professor.html

Here's to sum it up: People in life will be disrespectful- professors, college students, family, friends, co-workers, bosses and you need to learn how to appropriately handle this disrepect, whether you ignore it, address it with the person, or bring it to their superiors if necessary. That being said, you also need to think as to whether you were treated that person with respect, as many people forget that it goes both ways.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:23 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times
BIG TIME! Some professors are real lackluster, at any university and really engaged only in their own lil world. Which is why I seek to become a professor, to intrigue and motivate the minds of our youth. I am not saying there aren't some exceptional professors, I am saying some are just outdated and more into research than their students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities