Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,245,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Fixated? No, I just like to correct people when they are wrong. Especially since you have "stringent" standards regarding something you seem not to know very much about (the quality of particular schools). Now you know that not only is the U.C not a school, but a system, but also that it is the best public university system in the world, and not merely "okay." Because of me, you know have that much more knowledge. You're welcome.

Sure you will get higher quality students on average, but that's irrelevant because it ignores the purpose of a community college. It also doesn't matter, because those lower quality students don't assess into the transfer level classes.
I knew that it was a system prior to you. I know people that went there and it has been discussed on this forum many times. I refer to it as one big school. You sure do want to take the credit though. Yes, fixated... because you keep bringing up ratings about a specific school system. It's as if you're trying to sell it to me. I wouldn't go there. I already went to a college.

The only reason I have more stringent standards than you is because you have low standards (not talking about UC specifically)... just like many people.

I don't know how CCs are in CA, but on the east coast they don't separate lower quality students and higher quality students in CCs as long as they meet the requirements for a particular class. So the OP teaching, say, HCI 101 would have a mix of lower and higher quality students. Whereas they would be filtered out at a good 4-year university.

Last edited by NJBest; 05-01-2012 at 12:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,049,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I knew that it was a system prior to you. I know people that went there and it has been discussed on this forum many times. I refer to it as one big school. You sure do want to take the credit though. Yes, fixated... because you keep bringing up ratings about a specific school system. It's as if you're trying to sell it to me. I wouldn't go there. I already went to a college.

The only reason I have more stringent standards than you is because you have low standards (not talking about UC specifically)... just like many people on this forum.

I don't know how CCs are in CA, but on the east coast they don't separate lower quality students and higher quality students in CCs as long as they meet the requirements for a particular class. So the OP teaching, say, HCI 101 would have a mix of lower and higher quality students. Whereas they would be filtered out at a good 4-year university.
Anything less than ivy league is a low standard? My, you are a hoot. Where did you go to college, anyway?

You know it's a system, but you like to confuse everyone by calling it a school? Um, okay... gotcha, your secret is safe with me.

Last edited by rimmerama; 05-01-2012 at 01:25 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,546,738 times
Quote:

The only reason I have more stringent standards than you is because you have low standards (not talking about UC specifically)... just like many people.

This

Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,546,738 times
Quote:
Anything less than ivy league is a low standard? My, you are a hoot. Where did you go to college, anyway?

You know it's a system, but you like to confuse everyone by calling it a school? Um, okay... gotcha, your secret is safe with me.
I find NJ standards a bit unrealistic but as he went to any Ivy it's his perspective.

UCSB is a fine school. AAU and top 40. When I say lesser schools
I'm talking tier 3 mainly.

CA residents are super defensive about their system. From that SF Gate article there isnt much to be excited about with the CC it seems. The top 4/5 Universities are quite good though.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM

977 posts, read 1,819,712 times
Quote:
My school, UCSB, is the highest ranked public university in the world for scientific output, and ranked 35th best in the world - so even if all schools ranked above it are good (and not merely okay), that means in your estimation, there are only 34 good schools in the entire world? You certainly have some stringent standards.
I don't mean to be a jerk, but since when is UCSB considered a public Ivy? LOL. Berkely, UCLA, and maybe UCSD are considered public Ivies, but not UCSB

UCSB's admission standards are not that high: Avg SAT = 1230, acceptance rate = 46%. It's a middling UC on par (at best) with Davis and Irvine. Decent school, but that's it.

Who ranked it 35th? US News has it ranked 42nd in the US and that doesn't even count liberal arts colleges or colleges outside the US.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I don't mean to be a jerk, but since when is UCSB considered a public Ivy? LOL. Berkely, UCLA, and maybe UCSD are considered public Ivies, but not UCSB

UCSB's admission standards are not that high: Avg SAT = 1230, acceptance rate = 46%. It's a middling UC on par (at best) with Davis and Irvine. Decent school, but that's it.

Who ranked it 35th? US News has it ranked 42nd in the US and that doesn't even count liberal arts colleges or colleges outside the US.
Avg sat for admittance is 1923, avg gpa is 4.07.

Amazon.com: The Public Ivies: America's Flagship Public Universities (9780060934590): Howard Greene, Matthew W. Greene: Books

Times Higher Education World University Rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM

13,256 posts, read 33,635,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Hi,

I'm a community college instructor. I am applying to a PhD program, mainly because my long term goal is to teach at a four year university.

I'm wondering is there anyone here that has had significant experience at both levels. What can you tell me about the differences. As a student I only have experience at four year universities, I have only taught, never attended community college.

My main reason I would say for wanting to teach at a four year university is the quality of the students. I know four year universities have issues with frats/drinking, etc., etc. and yes I know there is the issue of having to "dumb down" the material at the 4-yr level, but it seems to be the little bit of admission requirements and the fact that it takes a little more effort to get in, would weed out students that truly are not prepared.

Now keep in mind, andy comments about community college, for the most part does NOT apply to night classes and summer classes, there the quality of students are more adult or just more mature.

There are other reasons. I like having a real department, with faculty you see all the time, just a much greater intellectual atmosphere, more "community" at the four year level.

So what are your experiences? Is there anyone here that has had a better experience at the community college level.

I'm interested in hearing any and all input.
Let's stick to the OP please. Off topic comments will be removed and infractions may be issued.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,245,929 times
Quote:

Princeton University (Princeton University - Welcome). It's not quite as big as your school, but ranks fairly well. My school is irrelevant though. Just as is discussing your school.

The OP will be around more intelligent people at a 4-year university. You'll have students that are involved in research and are working towards a bachelors thesis. It's a completely different environment.

CCs tend to be very similar to highschool in that they tend to teach out of textbooks and in many cases only have one textbook. In 4-year universities students learn critical thinking by reading texts from various authors, institutions, etc. that often contradict eachother. The student is left to put the pieces together and form their own conclusions about the subject. A 4-year university is not just about learning material and taking a test.

So, as a professor, I think you'll be entertained with intelligent and meaningful discussions led by the students.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Princeton University (Princeton University - Welcome). It's not quite as big as your school, but ranks fairly well. My school is irrelevant though. Just as is discussing your school.

The OP will be around more intelligent people at a 4-year university. You'll have students that are involved in research and are working towards a bachelors thesis. It's a completely different environment.

CCs tend to be very similar to highschool in that they tend to teach out of textbooks and in many cases only have one textbook. In 4-year universities students learn critical thinking by reading texts from various authors, institutions, etc. that often contradict eachother. The student is left to put the pieces together and form their own conclusions about the subject. A 4-year university is not just about learning material and taking a test.

So, as a professor, I think you'll be entertained with intelligent and meaningful discussions led by the students.
My school was relevant for the point I was making.

Regardless, I have to say, it sounds like CCs are different, because the CC you went to is not like the CC I went to (teach out of a single text book, like high school, for example).

The OP will only be at a CC for 2 years - taking classes that are essentially the same, because they are the G.E classes, for the most part. I can really only speak anecdotally - at transfer levels, the students really aren't that different, and here in California, I saved roughly 20,000 dollars by going to a C.C for 2 years.

As a professor, my father preferred teaching at a community college - less political b.s (but still too much, in his opinion), and none of the publish or perish thing, which, if that's your thing, you should take into account - but if what you want to do is teach, and not worry about coming up with some regurgitated publications no one will read (which seems to be the going trend for liberal arts majors, but hey, if liberal arts, does it really matter?).

All the same, you'll enjoy teaching at either, my brother quite enjoys being a professor at a 4-year - nice schedule, either way...

Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM

578 posts, read 1,298,494 times
Quote:

I had classes in both community college AND university that were like that. A majority of classes in both types of colleges were not like that and were focused on critical thinking ... how recent was your experience?

I found that in university, we agreed more than in community college, especially with major classes. It was the lower level classes where we had the most conflict, the same ones at CCs. I also had classes at a 4-year that were 100% memorization and test taking. It's erroneous to believe that a class like biology will be about critical thinking at any level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities