Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,815,584 times

Advertisements

I mean in terms of caliber of institutions and scholarships.

Here's a little bit about me:
>Age 22, white, single, male
>Newly graduated from a third-tier doctoral research university in Kentucky
>Born, raised, and still living in a small, rural community
>Have held a diversified array of state government (executive and legislative branches) and law office internships
>Currently work in retail as an hourly (have interviewed for several jobs and applied to well over 150 but to no avail; I'm either over- or underqualified, generally)
>Graduated with 3.3 GPA
>Major: Political Science
>Goal GRE total: 1500 (780 Quantitative, since I'm better in math than verbal, anyway; 720 Verbal)

Will such criteria place me in the running for the Ivy League? Top-tier public (think Michigan, Berkeley, Texas, UCLA?) Or otherwise? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,845,768 times
Default 1500 GRE, 3.3 GPA will qualify me for what?

It will qualify you to post that information on this forum, but don't count on it being useful in the real world.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,144,650 times
that and five dollars will get you a cuppa cawfee [including tip]

Old 02-07-2009, 01:38 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,255,715 times
What do you want to do?? Are you talking about a specific grad program?

Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,260,617 times
Your GPA alone will keep you out of the Ivies, but I am not too sure about the rest, it will also depend on what you want to study in grad school and how competitive that program is.

I wouldn't worry about going top tier grad school, but if you do your homework you can find a really good grad school that you will qualify for.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:02 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,815,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
What do you want to do?? Are you talking about a specific grad program?
Yes. Urban planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Your GPA alone will keep you out of the Ivies, but I am not too sure about the rest, it will also depend on what you want to study in grad school and how competitive that program is.

I wouldn't worry about going top tier grad school, but if you do your homework you can find a really good grad school that you will qualify for.
There are not that many urban planning programs out there that are accredited. It is an expanding field, per se, and universities are gradually implementing more planning programs as the demand for planners grows. Many of these programs don't even have GRE requirements.

I know I couldn't probably be accepted into a Harvard, UPenn, or even USC or Michigan. If I was accepted, my chances for scholarship or grant money would be slim to none. I'm not worried about the Ivies, but just figured I'd ask.

I'm primarily looking at schools that still have respected programs and (apparently) strong alumni networks--Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo and Hunter College (part of NYC's CUNY system) are two such examples. I'm pretty confident I could be accepted into either of those u.p. programs now with just my GPA alone, considering they don't require the GRE. But what I'm interested in is scholarship or grant money, or at least an out-of-state tuition waiver.

Texas A&M, Univ. of Texas-Austin, and Univ. of Washington are three other very good public schools with very good u.p. programs that, with a 1500/3.3., shouldn't be a problem to be accepted into. (They do require the GRE.)

Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,693 times
Here's a link to an urban planning site that lists the top grad schools. They also publish a guide to graduate programs in urban planning.

The Top Schools For Urban Planners | Planetizen

As for getting into a top tier school, it's hard to say. It depends a lot on how many applicants they get, how many people they accept, etc. Each school approaches things differently. If you have great GRE scores, write a solid personal essay, and have some strong references...those can definitely trump gpa.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:44 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,931,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Yes. Urban planning.

There are not that many urban planning programs out there that are accredited. It is an expanding field, per se, and universities are gradually implementing more planning programs as the demand for planners grows. Many of these programs don't even have GRE requirements.

I know I couldn't probably be accepted into a Harvard, UPenn, or even USC or Michigan. If I was accepted, my chances for scholarship or grant money would be slim to none. I'm not worried about the Ivies, but just figured I'd ask.

I'm primarily looking at schools that still have respected programs and (apparently) strong alumni networks--Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo and Hunter College (part of NYC's CUNY system) are two such examples. I'm pretty confident I could be accepted into either of those u.p. programs now with just my GPA alone, considering they don't require the GRE. But what I'm interested in is scholarship or grant money, or at least an out-of-state tuition waiver.

Texas A&M, Univ. of Texas-Austin, and Univ. of Washington are three other very good public schools with very good u.p. programs that, with a 1500/3.3., shouldn't be a problem to be accepted into. (They do require the GRE.)
Dont know much about Urban Planning, but I know UIC has a program.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:19 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,088,512 times
I wouldn't even aim for the Ivy unless my scores were such that I was a shoe-in and likely to get a scholarship - I wouldn't want to pay for it on my own.

A lot of schools consider more heavily your letter of intent, community involvement, and leadership experiences. They also like someone who specializes and knows what they are going for - no jack-of-all-trades types.

You should be able to get into most state schools, which can be good schools and affordable.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,529,061 times
Cal-Berkeley's School of Environmental design is probably tops but unless you have something else of note in your resume, you won't make it. The Texas Schools are decent. Buffalo has the most interesting architecture for a mid sized city - its like a museum - wonder if State U NY Buffalo has a program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities