Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 AM

30 posts, read 107,890 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old junior liberal arts major at a mediocre state university with an above average, but not spectacular GPA. I have 30K in student loans already, and 4K in credit card debt. I work a job 30 hours a week making slightly above minimum wage in fast food. I feel like the epitome of a loser going nowhere fast. I couldn't land an internship; employers literally would not talk to liberal arts majors at my career fair on campus, and I've exhausted every online/in person resource available. Nobody wants anything to do with me.

I'm not wallowing in self pity as I did a lot of this to myself. I failed math in high school and have a non existent math background, thus limiting myself to a liberal arts major. I could have a 4.0ish gpa to offset this and try the law school thing, but I didn't pull it off. Frankly, I'm scared and without a clue. I think of nothing but my future all day to the point of obsession with no light at the end of the tunnel. I feel I have no future, no options. I get partial scholarships, yet I don't even know if I should go to school next fall. Tons more debt to finish this thing, and for what? So my parents can feel proud while I remain unemployable and without an employable skill or talent?

Should I spend another 15K (min) in student loans and finish off my bachelor degree in liberal studies, or should I start a trade at a a community college this summer? Something else?

Any thoughts or general ramblings are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
I would say it really depends on what you want to do. It is really tough for liberal arts majors in this economy however, chances are it will not always be that way. On the other hand if you do want to go into a trade and that would make you more happy you should do that. The debt for me would be the main concern. If you want a liberal arts degree then you should go for it, especially considering you seem to have a lot invested in it already. However, if you feel its the wrong direction that is your decision as well. My advice would be to meditate on this and not act out of fear or panic you should definitly weigh your options very carefully.

Additionally I would not write off law schools right away if that is indeed what you want to do. I do not know what your GPA is, but if it is anywhere near a 3.25 (you don't need a 4.0 for law school) contingent on your LSAT score you could probably get into a law school, perhaps not a top law school, but a legitimate accredited one. Now that would potentially mean more debt, and a lot more work, and I have heard rumors that attorneys in some areas may be hitting a rough patch, but in all honesty my belief is that is a temporary thing after all how many attorneys have you heard of that are unemployable.

However, law school is a lot of work and you should probably be committed to doing that if you attempt it, but seeing as how you mentioned it as potentially an avenue I figured I would touch upon it as I honestly do not have a clue as to how trade schools work and somebody else will have to lay out the potential pluses and minuses of that particular option.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I would say it really depends on what you want to do. It is really tough for liberal arts majors in this economy however, chances are it will not always be that way. On the other hand if you do want to go into a trade and that would make you more happy you should do that. The debt for me would be the main concern. If you want a liberal arts degree then you should go for it, especially considering you seem to have a lot invested in it already. However, if you feel its the wrong direction that is your decision as well. My advice would be to meditate on this and not act out of fear or panic you should definitly weigh your options very carefully.

Additionally I would not write off law schools right away if that is indeed what you want to do. I do not know what your GPA is, but if it is anywhere near a 3.25 (you don't need a 4.0 for law school) contingent on your LSAT score you could probably get into a law school, perhaps not a top law school, but a legitimate accredited one. Now that would potentially mean more debt, and a lot more work, and I have heard rumors that attorneys in some areas may be hitting a rough patch, but in all honesty my belief is that is a temporary thing after all how many attorneys have you heard of that are unemployable.

However, law school is a lot of work and you should probably be committed to doing that if you attempt it, but seeing as how you mentioned it as potentially an avenue I figured I would touch upon it as I honestly do not have a clue as to how trade schools work and somebody else will have to lay out the potential pluses and minuses of that particular option.
Thanks a lot for this. Very reasoned post. I'll clarify a couple things. First, law school probably isn't for me. My transcript is hideous(lots of W's, part time, random semesters off, etc) and my gpa is barely a 3.0. Provided I don't nail the LSAT out of the park, it's not looking good.

As to what I want to do: No clue. Honestly, I've somewhat moved past using this as a primary tool for career searching. As depressing and weak a move as that may seem, I think, given my limited resources and skills(all math/science careers out of the question as I literally have not even a high school alg background)I think survival is a more practical goal. I just want to make a livable wage and have a skill. Two year trade, MSW, etc. Whatever.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:11 AM

FWIW, I've looked into court reporting programs at a local 2 year college.

Anybody have any input on this field?

Old 03-21-2009, 05:30 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Andrew, What is your major? It's not as if you are actually majoring in liberal arts. You need to go to the career services department at your college and talk to someone there about career possibilities.

Do some research on the internet and look in the library. My son is an English major and I picked up a book at Barnes and Noble Amazon.com: What Can You Do with a Major in English: Real people. Real jobs. Real rewards. (What Can You Do with a Major in...): Shelley O'Hara: Books There is a career out there for you and I'm pretty sure that you are going to need a degree to just get your foot in the door. I would finish out the degree if I were you.

This is a rough time of year - everyone is having a hard time nailing an internships and/or summer jobs. Don't feel so alone, lots of juniors and seniors in College are having the same stresses and worries, but now is the time to reach out and get some help.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
What specifically is your major, and why did you chose that major in the first place?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Andrew,

Don't be a FOOL- stay in SCHOOL. No one ever regretted getting too much education. My only regret is that I didn't go for a PhD when I was offered a program.
Take a look at this- you can get your loans forgiven. Do you think you could teach in Appalachia or somewhere for a awhile? By the time you've finished, you will have done some good and might also have a better idea of what you really want to do. If you major in ED your final year, some southern states will take you with a BA.

Your Student Loans Forgiven - Kiplinger.com

Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Andrew, What is your major? It's not as if you are actually majoring in liberal arts. You need to go to the career services department at your college and talk to someone there about career possibilities.

Do some research on the internet and look in the library. My son is an English major and I picked up a book at Barnes and Noble Amazon.com: What Can You Do with a Major in English: Real people. Real jobs. Real rewards. (What Can You Do with a Major in...): Shelley O'Hara: Books There is a career out there for you and I'm pretty sure that you are going to need a degree to just get your foot in the door. I would finish out the degree if I were you.

This is a rough time of year - everyone is having a hard time nailing an internships and/or summer jobs. Don't feel so alone, lots of juniors and seniors in College are having the same stresses and worries, but now is the time to reach out and get some help.

Liberal Arts can and probably is his actual major.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Liberal Arts can and probably is his actual major.
Saying liberal arts is your major is like saying 'science' is your major...

Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
^^ Very true but such majors do exist.

I would suggest finding something that interests you at a local community college. It will be VERY hard to find employment with a major like liberal arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities