Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,359 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to buff out my undergrad studies to get my AA and since my major is Business Administration, the majority of courses I have left complete are closely related to that major. Two of the courses are Managerial Accounting and Financial Accounting. The college I'm attending currently only offers one of these two courses as an online course, the other may be on-campus or blended with campus & online.

The one course I've signed up for, the professor has received awesome reviews on RateMyProfessor.com, but with alot of mention that the course is pretty intense as it's alot of material to cover - not to mention I will be taking this over the summer, within about 10 weeks or less.

For those of you who have taken these course, would you say it is do-able to take both Managerial and Financial accounting simultaneously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 29,304 times
At my school you can't take Managerial Accounting if you haven't taken Financial Accounting yet. I'm not a business major, though...sooo I have no idea what the workload is like, but my roommate is one and always has tons of Financial Accounting homework to do. Personally, I wouldn't try taking the two at the same time especially over the summer when they have a lot of material to cover in less time than a normal semester.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 AM

523 posts, read 1,679,800 times
I concur with the above poster - especially since you'll be doing one in a summer/condensed semester. Do one, then the other. This way, you'll have a better chance of doing well in both.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 64,393 times
Default Accounting

I was an accounting major so taking two accounting classes at the same time was something I had to do every semester. I still hated the classes but I got through them somehow. It all depends on how good you are at it and whether you feel comfortable getting them over with or spreading them out to make it easier on yourself. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:45 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
Not unless you really love math and are quick at it.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
If....

...they have time to dedicate themselves to the coursework....

...one class is not a pre-req for the other...

...and they are familiar with what it's like compressing a full semester course into a summer term....

...why not?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:29 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
I think Managerial Accounting requires some of the building blocks learned from Financial Accounting. You may encounter difficulty when terms are used that you don't yet understand. The only way I'd do it is if you can take them the same semester in sequence. That is, finish the Financial Accounting in the first half and then complete the second course in the second half.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,976 times
I would not think twice about going for the two courses at the same time. Some of my undergrad and masters programed courses were rather slow for me so I wish I could have had the opportunity to do what you can. ...Just think about each course as a totally different subject and you may find it tougher than others because one kinda builds on what you should already understand...Good luck

Old 04-15-2009, 12:41 PM

242 posts, read 788,675 times
It depends how well you can handle the courseload it may be difficult but I'm sure with no life, no times with friends you will do well...lol. Last year I took Human Anatomy and Physiology at the same time I swear I had NO life but I was happy in the end that I knocked out those intense classes in one semester.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:33 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,909 times
Accounting major as well and I've taken both courses. Financial accounting and managerial accounting both have their similarities but I would say you don't need to take one or the other first.

Managerial accounting is more abstract while financial is more regulated oriented.

Quote:
Not unless you really love math and are quick at it.
haha, I always love when people say this. This is what someone says when they know absolutely nothing about accounting. "Oh you're an accounting major, you must be good at math." The fact of the matter is that accounting math is not even hard. Hell, I rarely use algebra in my accounting classes. The highest math you have to learn is calculus and I would say that is over kill. You need to just be able to think quantitatively. Knowing all the little geometry formulas or calculus equations won't do much for you. Also a big part of accounting is learning to talk and interact with others. If you can't talk with others in a professional manner, you won't get very far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities