Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:41 AM

52,246 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

Once your working and doing the real thing no one give *** what your gpa was in college. The real test is can you perfom in work.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-31-2009 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: inappropriate language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Once your working and doing the real thing no one give two shyts or crap what your gpa was in college. The real test is can you perfom in work.
Yes and no. The path to the top can be much longer.

Merit is a long-run equilibrium concept. In the long-run, it is about performance. In the short- to intermediate-run, strategy and tactics are just as important.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Do you know what they call a guy who passes his medical exams with a 70?
"Doctor".

Yes, you can be a doctor or an engineer with just barely passing grades. But would you REALLY want a doctor working on you who just barely passed, or a chem engineer mixing up potentially lethal chemicals who didn't apply himself to his studies? Or an engineer dealing with sewage systems to get the drainage and runoffs right 70% of the time? I don't think so!
You could go one step further and say that 50% of all doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class

I don't care what grades he got if he can do the job. There are too many book smart people out there that can graduate with that 4.0 but can't apply it to anything in the real world. Engineering is no different.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,903 times
If someone with lower than what should be expected GPA or test scores can graduate then what does that say about that person? He/she has other things on their mind or maybe the school is too tough.... I have never come across a person PhD, MD or one who has achieve a Masters Degree to have a lower than 3.0 GPA....

My former university would not consider a candidate for a Masters Degree with under 3.0 GPA or a PhD candidate with a GPA under 3.5.....

Yes, some colleges and unitversities are tougher than others but if they are too tough why attend when one doesn't understand the course curriculum. There are some such as my wife who has the smarts and common sense for a 4.0 sfrom the Univ of Penn. I on the other hand tried much harder to get a 3.75 in Undergrand and Grad school.

Some are just gifted in the fields of common sense and understanding life in general.

I still take a good look at GPA when selecting employees worthy of my company. My dad was an Engineer and he always said you gotta do good while training in college and I still believe it to be true. Many people change and it is our lifeblood but I would rather see how one propels themself before I hire them. ....Attitude means a lot. You seem to have a great perspective in life.

Good luck I think a good attitude during an interview will propel you.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM

339 posts, read 975,831 times
If you are a recent undergrad it is very important. When my husband was hired right after he graduated collage the company was only considering 3.0 or above because he was been hired into a program that required him to complete a MS in Engineering.

I already had my graduate degree when I was hired so GPA was not that relevant (it was already implied it was good).
Also in my field/industry very rarely you stay with only a BS, most engineers nowadays will pursue a graduate degree and in order to be accepted at a decent school you will need at least 3.0.
So yes it is important, specially early on in your career.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Depends on the company/position. High GPA's can be impressive to big intl. corporations hiring for engineering, product design, IT depts.... I run a small company and hire engineers only for sales/support positions. I require an undergrad degree in engineering but am less focused on GPA. For sales, I look at technical expertise/GPA but am more impressed by social/interpersonal skills and extracurriculars/job experience. Some of our best sales engineers have had lower GPA's in engineering school but have been stars at networking/customer relationship building.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-01-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I've heard that generally employers dont really look at your gpa. Does this hold true in the Engineering field?

I mean as long as your have your degree, does it matter if you have a like a 2.5 gpa?
I know for a FACT that some companies won't even look at you if you do not meet a minimum GPA requirement and you didn't go to a school with reputable accreditation.

I've seen some places that wouldn't look at you unless your GPA was 3.8 or higher but they are few and far between. The majority I've seen that have min GPA requirements are set at 3.0 to 3.5 range. The company I went to work for out of school had a 3.0 minimum if I recall.

But they don't JUST look at GPA...they also look at your activities and in interviews they try to cut out the folks who lack social skills, have problems with organization, show little or no business etiquette, etc.

There are some companies out there who don't pay much attention to GPA's...but I don't think I interviewed with any like that.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:25 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,008 times
Quote:
I've heard that generally employers dont really look at your gpa. Does this hold true in the Engineering field?

I mean as long as your have your degree, does it matter if you have a like a 2.5 gpa?
Yes it does! I work with a colleague who has an Electrical Engineering degree and cannot find a job to save his life. He's been out of school for about four years, and has a GPA in the 2.7 range.

He says that he's looking for a job that deals with RF design, but by the way the he's going he'll be lucky if he can find that type of job by the time he's 30.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:26 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Definately in the first 5 years out of engineering school. Not so much after that...

Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

Only for the first job. After that, what you accomplished on the job matters more than your GPA.

I had a GPA of 3.8 and can't buy a job in this market. I'm pigeon holed as an automotive engineer because that's where my experience is and there are few jobs to be had in the automotive sector and those are highly specialized. I WISH GPA mattered longer than for 6 months after you graduate.

At the moment, I'm teaching chemistry and physics making less than half of what I made before as an engineer. You do what you have to in a tough economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities