Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you pick your college major?
I liked the job prospects 1 4.35%
I was interested in the topic academically 15 65.22%
Both 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 PM

943 posts, read 3,162,390 times

Advertisements

Recently I have had a chance to interview quite a few recent college graduates for jobs. One question I always ask is how they happened to pick their major in school. Most said they did because they thought that there would be lots of jobs for them. That seems like a logical answer. BUT!!

I chose Accounting as a major because I was told that most businesses with over 100 employees in America has an accountant working for them and if you were an accountant you could live in almost any town of your choice and likely find a job. So I started my course work in accounting. I hated every class and did poorly. I kept at it because I was told by my parents that everyone hated their jobs but you had bills to pay. Eventually I flunked out and learned a valuable lesson. While a job is a good goal at graduation and picking a career orientated major will help, you would be better served by picking a major and eventual career you liked.

How about you, why did you chose your college major, interest or job opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,796,885 times
I'd say a mix of both.
I like the topic of Sociology [which is my current major] and I love Spanish and speak it well.
Right now my majors are Sociology and Spanish.
I considered Public Administration but didn't like the fact that I had to take Accounting and Economics classes. The economic class I can handle but accounting...ugh.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,013 times
I choose political science because it was interesting to me and did pretty well, I ended up just .04 GPA away from graduating with honors. Besides the plan for me has always pretty much always been law school, and political science was one of the majors people took for law school.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
me: biology because I loved it
husband: physics because he likes it and is good at it
daughter: optics (engineer) because it intrigued her
son: media arts because that is all he wanted to do ever since he had use of a computer

Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,539,388 times
Mix... enjoyed it enough and was good enough to do it, pays pretty well,... hated it as a career though and doing it day in/day out, plus the industry and salaries, h1b's, different skills, different technologies, outsourcing has changed substantially since I started in 1999 (referring to IT)...My personality, tastes and views on life have also changed dramatically from being 17 to being 28... doing something else now.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:49 PM

275 posts, read 708,242 times
I started out as a science major (biology) because I was good at it. After a year of the intensive program, I quickly discovered that I never wanted to be a Dr, didn't want to teach high school bio, and really wasn't passionate about it.

About a week later I changed my major to Photography and never looked back.

So now I have a BFA in art/ Photography and the only real hope of "using my degree to make a living" is to go BACK to school and get an MFA. Probably what I will do, but I am passionate about photography.

Just wish there were more jobs for those of us with BFA' s in art in this area. Economy is hard now, which is really affecting us artists. I'm making due though. Getting my name out there, and once I get a higher degree, hopefully I'll be able to impact the world moreso with my art and maybe teach some future artists.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,539,388 times
hey at least you figured that out while you were still in school, some of us stuck it out, plus started a career to finally pound it through our heads it isn't for us

Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,279,641 times
I have a bachelor's degree in a social science field. I chose it because I was interested in it. I was able to work in it for about 5 years after college. (social services in a hospital) Since then, however, it has been very difficult to find work within this field without a master's degree. I wish I had chosen something where the job prospects were a little better. ( My neighbor has a master's and she still had problems locating a job in social service here in Dallas. She said in the northeast, it was a little easier to get a job in that field.)

Old 06-07-2009, 12:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Went with my interest and talents (analyzing literature and writing), and picked something I was academically interested in and gifted at doing. Didn't know much about the marketability, just figured if I was smart enough to complete an English major with honors, I was smart enough to find a way to parlay it into future jobs. I was right.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:36 AM

242 posts, read 789,292 times
I would say a mix of both. My current major is Speech Pathology and Audiology. I almost chose nursing because I liked the curriculum but found out early that I didnt like all the physical work nurses do and all the stress the job entails. After volunteering at my sons school with the speech therapist I found what I wanted to do and fell in love with the children. To hear kids that were non-verbal at the beginning of the year to hearing them talk in complete sentences by the end of the year. It is such a rewarding field and to see the joy on the parents faces, its priceless. I am glad I changed my major just in time because I will be starting school in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities