Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,985,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
If you enjoy restaurants, why not just stay? I also question whether you're really working fine dining. Fine dining is isn't a cash business, ime. My dh was a fine dining waiter for ~15 years. It's probably 80% credit cards, where servers must pay taxes. Fine dining servers have to be careful since taxes aren't normally taken out every night, but they are reported to the IRS.
No, it is not like that at all. There is no "must" as not all restaurants pay in checks. Some, like mine, pay the servers five dollars and hour with tips factored in as a average, and we are only taxed at an average rate out or our pay checks, which end up being about thirty dollars. The rest is in cash, as in, at the end of the night, after a shift report is run, we hand that into the manager who gives us the cash that we are owed (from the charge tips) at the end of the night.
Hence, because the tips we actually make are allot larger than the average we are estimated to make in tips, we end up paying allot less taxes. Many restaurants are "cash out at the end of the shift" as opposed to "declare each charge tip and get a check with EVERY LITTLE DIME" taxed out, and it's perfectly legal.

Unless the IRS wants to send in an auditor to stand over every server's shoulder for a week and count how much they are making, there is no way they, or even the restaurant it's self, could know that the average is allot less than the actual average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 09:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,361,273 times
I took the lowest most basic algebra class in college that I could get into, and it was pretty easy I have to admit. Even for me, who did not do well in math in high school. I thought other classes were way harder. They had a student assistant to help out. You should do it, and get a tutor if you need one. No way out of it.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 PM

Sad indeed, but the article never mentions the alternative...

Since You Asked - Salon.com

Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 PM

768 posts, read 943,699 times
It's one thing to major in the social sciences. Sure it's generally useless regurgitation of what a random professor deems noteworthy/time better spent googling these things on your own, but at least it's easy. It takes a special kind of stupid, like, me, to major in physics-a degree that is not only borderline useless to employers, but also exceedingly difficult.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 PM

784 posts, read 2,731,147 times
Seems to me like the OP is okay with being a server for the rest of his life, working until the day he dies.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Seems to me like the OP is okay with being a server for the rest of his life, working until the day he dies.

Being a server the rest of my life, no...but working until the day I die? That is my goal: a job that I do not have to retire from, hence, that is why I do not want to work at a restaurant my entire life. I mean, behind a desk at a school or a psychologist is something one can do until they are in their 80s (since social security is no longer going to exist soon enough, older workers will be the norm by the time I'm that old) but running around a restaurant? I would have to stop at age sixty maybe and from there, what? Just sit around and wait to die, that is exactly what retirement is.

That is why I HAVE to get a job I can enjoy that will not have too much tool on my body. Because retirement scares me only slightly less than death it's self. I am a workaholic, and need to work. Without it, I don't know what I would do, no matter how much money I had.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,831,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Sad indeed, but the article never mentions the alternative...

Since You Asked - Salon.com

There are plenty of alternatives besides a cube. Go find an adjunct or lecturer in your field and see where they are sitting. Chances are it's a cube. I'm not telling you what to do either way. That is your choice. You should know what you're getting into though.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:03 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
No, it is not like that at all. There is no "must" as not all restaurants pay in checks. Some, like mine, pay the servers five dollars and hour with tips factored in as a average, and we are only taxed at an average rate out or our pay checks, which end up being about thirty dollars. The rest is in cash, as in, at the end of the night, after a shift report is run, we hand that into the manager who gives us the cash that we are owed (from the charge tips) at the end of the night.

Hence, because the tips we actually make are allot larger than the average we are estimated to make in tips, we end up paying allot less taxes. Many restaurants are "cash out at the end of the shift" as opposed to "declare each charge tip and get a check with EVERY LITTLE DIME" taxed out, and it's perfectly legal.

Unless the IRS wants to send in an auditor to stand over every server's shoulder for a week and count how much they are making, there is no way they, or even the restaurant it's self, could know that the average is allot less than the actual average.
Again, this sounds odd to me. Who walks around with a couple of hundred dollars for dinner? A two top is between $100-200. A 4-5 top would go into several hundred dollars. Tho, I suppose it depends on on where you are. Boston/Cambridge is pretty expensive, but I figure most metropolitan areas are. I went to my husband's restaurant on Valentines day once when he working, and while I was comped, between the wine, appetizer, dinner, and dessert, my bill was close to $100. Even when we go to a 2-3 star restaurants, we'll drop $200 (in the past, not any more) Plus, his restaurant catered to a lot of business clientele being so close to Harvard. Of course, that is all done with CC's.

The servers also pooled their tips; tipped out the food runners, bar tenders, bussers, etc. They were given cash at the end of the night, but it was tallied primarily from CC receipts. And since it was mostly on CC's, the restaurant has to report that income due to the paper trail. That's the key point in my concern for fine dining servers. No way would would the restaurant pay the taxes on that (meals and room tax as well as income). It's left up to the servers, and that's where they get the screw if they're not organized. Servers earning more than $50k are paying taxes on that. If they're smart, they pay quarterly, if not, they're left with a tax bill at the end of the year.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
It's one thing to major in the social sciences. Sure it's generally useless regurgitation of what a random professor deems noteworthy/time better spent googling these things on your own, but at least it's easy. It takes a special kind of stupid, like, me, to major in physics-a degree that is not only borderline useless to employers, but also exceedingly difficult.

The TA for my physics lab ended up going into cancer research. I would imagine a physics degree, while more difficult than other science degrees imo, provides the same opportunities as any other science degree. Where I work, while not a prized industry, we have a range of backgrounds (physics, chem, one woman has an ecology degree, etc). I suppose it is a matter of selling out, but the need to survive kicks in as we get older. A buddy of mine who has a physics degree is now teaching HS, but prior he was at Nasa.

Quote:
... but running around a restaurant? I would have to stop at age sixty maybe and from there, what? Just sit around and wait to die, that is exactly what retirement is.
That's exactly why I encouraged my dh to finish his degree. OTOH, you could look into management. I think it would be pretty cool to be a wine steward. They don't earn as much, but there are a lot of perks from what I understand (travelling to vineyards and the like).

Old 11-29-2009, 06:31 AM

15,874 posts, read 21,463,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post

Said by someone who has obviously never taken a social science class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities