Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times

Advertisements

Asian Americans drive Army recruiting boom in L.A. -- latimes.com

I saw this today and couldn't help but wonder.

It sure does seem like an interesting coincidence. On one hand, you have a very scary economy, weak/no job growth and spiraling tuition costs (on top of not being able to discharge student debt in bankruptcy). On the other hand, the army seems to conviently skirt all of those issues. Able to lure an 80% increase in Asian enlistments last year.

-The biggest recruiting year in two decades by the Southern California Recruiting Battalion.

-"For Asian Americans, the greatest appeal is the college benefits," said Ly, who joined the Army over his parents' objections to avoid heavy college debt during a down economy. "Especially with the price increases for the UC system, it's definitely not a good time to take out student loans and go into debt."

Is the idea to make college unaffordable, or too scary of a prospect, and thus almost by default you have to go in the army. And the "war on terror" will continue to get a steady stream of troops. If you can give such generous tuition aid to army enlistments, why can't you give that to regular people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:17 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Uh, military's always benefited during economic downturns. Steady paycheck, job security, will take almost anyone who's physically qualified. If anything I'd say the "military if nothing else" option has declined over the past few decades due to a greater variety of financial aid options. I really don't see it as some giant conspiracy that you're making it out to be. People get tuition money because they commit to x number of years of military service. They're not getting it for free.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Did I miss the time when college tuition actually went DOWN?

I graduated from college over 25 years ago, I know tuition at my alma matter has gone up every year since ( and went up every year while I attended)

The last part of your conspiracy theory is truly ridiculous though.

"If you can give such generous tuition aid to army enlistments, why can't you give that to regular people?"

Why SHOULD "regular people" get the benefits given to service veterans????

I'm sorry, but if someone is willing to give up several years of their life at the risk of life and limb to SERVE THEIR COUNTRY then by all means they should be entitled to college benefits like the GI Bill.

By what rationale should someone that was NOT willing to risk their life in service to their country be entitled to the same benefit????

Many otherwise "free" countries REQUIRE military service of all their citizens, our country does not....

If you are anti military or just don't want to take the risk entailed by serving don't whine about the lack of benefit...

Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
I think the conspiracy theory has some merit.

-The article said that historically asians join the military at the lowest rate among all races. Here on the westcoast, asians are a large percentage of schools like uc irvine, ucla, berkley, etc. How do you drive academically oriented asians in the military?

Do you make college increasing unaffordable and risky to go to? Is it a coincidence that uc and cal state fees are going up in double digits (30% increase in uc fees), how else would you drive California asians in the military?

-Anyone who goes in the military should get benefits way above and beyond everyone else (for putting their life on the line). There's no doubt about that.

The article says they get up to $80,000 in tuition aid. Where's a fraction of that money for every other student in california?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,191 times
Quote:
The article says they get up to $80,000 in tuition aid. Where's a fraction of that money for every other student in california?
CA students get some. It's called Cal Grant.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think the conspiracy theory has some merit.

-The article said that historically asians join the military at the lowest rate among all races. Here on the westcoast, asians are a large percentage of schools like uc irvine, ucla, berkley, etc. How do you drive academically oriented asians in the military?

Do you make college increasing unaffordable and risky to go to? Is it a coincidence that uc and cal state fees are going up in double digits (30% increase in uc fees), how else would you drive California asians in the military?

-Anyone who goes in the military should get benefits way above and beyond everyone else (for putting their life on the line). There's no doubt about that.

Look at this graphic, you will see that the proportion of Asian-American male recruits is only slightly lower than the Asian-American male population between ages 18-24.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/NationalSecurity/images/CDA08-05_table2.gif (broken link)

I really don't see how you're drawing the line between tuition increases in California and it being due to a greater desire for more Asians in the military.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:30 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It sure does seem like an interesting coincidence. On one hand, you have a very scary economy, weak/no job growth and spiraling tuition costs.
Tuition costs have never changed. I still pay the same rate as i did 1.5 years ago. The scarry part are the paper mill universities popping up around the united states and the lack of personal integrity control, in turn; reducing the integrity of what an education means in the United States. I am old school about morals and responsibilities.

At least that's how i feel seeing half my class failing trigonometry because they were to busy worrying about the next video game or the next party.

About the asians joining the military it is not anything new. Go to any ROTC program with a city of high asian population in it, you have a high enrollment of ROTC folks. My 3 roomates 4 years ago, all asian, were all ROTC.

Last thought. LA times seems to like targeting specific groups to do stories like it is new or something everyone should be concerned about or maybe to push out a specific nationality on the front page.

The best commit that says everything about the LA times:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyaphotographer (12/19/2009, 10:59 PM )
sort of like the low bar for low paid Times hirings ?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:09 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
I would say the Military recruitment has about hit it's peak. I honestly can't think of one person I know that would consider the Military, even in this economy. There are all of these unemployed college grads running around yet the Military is having to really amp up their Officer recruiting in order to meet numbers. Have you noticed that most Army commercials now are aimed at Officer recruitment? OCS is hard and you can't pick your branch, therefore most aren't going to even consider it

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I would say the Military recruitment has about hit it's peak. I honestly can't think of one person I know that would consider the Military, even in this economy. There are all of these unemployed college grads running around yet the Military is having to really amp up their Officer recruiting in order to meet numbers. Have you noticed that most Army commercials now are aimed at Officer recruitment? OCS is hard and you can't pick your branch, therefore most aren't going to even consider it
Army OCS seems to be the only one having trouble...

Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,244 times
Well of course, they need the more warm bodies as they they are the largest branch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities