Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM

6 posts, read 34,155 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, how are you guys?
I'm going to be 24 this July and have never attended a day of college in my life. I decided not to attend college after high school, which was back in 2004.
I plan on attending a community college for 2 years or so before transferring to a university.
I did so-so in high school, I honestly did not have the best of grades and have below average grades in certain subjects like math/science, etc.

I was thinking I can score some credits with CLEP and maybe skipping some intro classes and whatever else is possible.
I ran into a number of sites such as instantcert.com, domeactreview.com, cleptestreview.com, passyourclass.com and speedyprep.com

Do any of you in my similar position have any experiences with these sites and any other ways of learning, studying, prepping, etc. that has helped you pass these tests?
I'm not too big on school but figured it would be something to fall back on and looking forward to going back to school the next semester.
Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. - I plan on attending either Grossmont, Cuyamaca or Mesa here in San Diego and maybe transferring to SDSU or something, any of you here have any experiences with those schools and know if they fully accept these credits, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 05:41 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,571 times
Most people I have known to CLEP test have taken the test at the university or school they are going to attend. I would suggest calling the school you want to attend to see what they accept or do not.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
Well I took two CLEP tests so here is what I know:

--not every school accepts scores for any subject. For example my school only accepted CLEP scores for four of the 26 subjects that CLEP tests. Others will allow you to earn credit for as much as 30 credit hours of coursework.

--'passing' score is different for every school. For most, it is 50 (out of 80, or 62.5%) but some require higher scores.

--after accepting your score, what they do with it is different for every school. Some may award only pass/fail scores. Others convert it to a letter grade (and often drop the score by one letter, which may hurt your GPA)

--Acceptance of a score may also depend on your intended major. Also, just because the school accepts the score doesn't mean you should skip the class. For example, a mere 51 in College Algebra suggests not a mastery of the subject but a mere basic grasp. That may be fine if you are an art major but if you are an engineering major, you may have trouble passing your upper level classes without a better handle on the subject. So you may be better off taking the course where you can study the subject in greater depth over the course of several months, thus giving you a more solid foundation for success with your degree.

--As an indicator of success on the test, you should have had an above average grade in that subject for at least the last two years of high school. The point of the test is to demonstrate that you have already learned a particular subject, not to avoid having to learn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities