Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 29,931 times

Advertisements

Housing may be "cheaper" but it doesn't mean it's always better. In the case of Denver, it's a big city with higher cost of living as is Boulder. With Colorado Springs, tract housing has become a huge trend in this town, I think for the worst. So many people were sold on zero down mortgage loans directly from the builders that many got in too deep and couldn't recover. There's a rash of foreclosures right now, especially in the newer developments.

I disagree about housing being cheaper. If you want a safe place to live that's not an apartment you gotta pay for it. Many landlords are trying to pay off their overpriced homes by resorting to jacking up the rents around here, especially the newer homes, and tenants are often the victims of misrepresentation of the true reality of what their rent is paying.

Don't buy the hype about cheaper housing. I'm a military spouse with pets and I've met a lot of people who hate pets and aren't as kind to military people (especially the property management companies).

So, I guess the housing in C Springs is cheap given that there's a lot of tract housing with very small homes, cheap wiring/contracting by illegals, and overdevelopment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 AM

70 posts, read 227,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjem24 View Post
Don't buy the hype about cheaper housing. I'm a military spouse with pets and I've met a lot of people who hate pets and aren't as kind to military people (especially the property management companies).

After 24 years in the military, I never once ment a landlord or management company that treated me with nothing but respect, even overseas. I've read your post and you think because your military and an officers wife, you deserve some sort of special treatment; NOT SO.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 PM

18 posts, read 36,367 times
Default hOUSING

I'm originally from Indianapolis, which is a medium sized city. When I first arrived in COS, I was shocked by the housing costs. Rentals didn't seem too outrageous. In terms of salary versus housing, I'm not sure what people are doing to afford these homes! For instance, an average salary in Indy is around 40k. A moderate 4 bedroom home with 1.5 baths and a .5 acre are around $100-$200k depending on the area. I actually own a 1300 square foot home on a .5 acre, all brick ranch and paid $100k. Here, a friend of mine owns a home very similar and she bought it for $250k (with very little land). Yet, finding a 40k job here is much more difficult than a bigger city.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,802 times
And here I am in VA and forking out 1600 a month for a 3 bedroom townhome with 0 yard. For 1600 a month in COS I could rent a large house! In fact, my 5 bedroom house just sold for 153k in September.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM

55 posts, read 120,289 times
for better or worse. colorado springs is the definition of suburbia. if you like suburbia you will like springs, as it's suburban living with a nice view and nice weather. if you want the classic american dream of house, dog, kids, lawn, and going to church then everything is decently affordable and accessible in springs.

if you're young and hipster, this is not an ideal place. if you like citylife, you're looking at the wrong place. if you like citylife once in awhile, then you may be okay as denver is somewhat close. if you're a young professional you will find most young people in this town are military affiliated. nothing wrong with that, just a fyi. if you're a liberal, you might feel out of place and be occasionally upset. if you like growing fruit, this is not the right place.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
I am a military wife from Texas. I have found, living in the Springs, that the housing rentals and apt. rentals are beyond overpriced for the quality of the rentals. For a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath here , ranges from 1000-1500 and when you go to see the homes to evaluate the area. They are old houses built in the late 70's or 80's the inside looks like the inside of a trailor home. For that much money I was living in a suburban subdivision area of San Antonio, all new appliances, wood flooring, quality materials and fixtures, big backyard, and nice landscaping. I too am shocked as to how some home owners feel their ugly old houses are worth as much as they are asking for. Whats sad is , just to live as my family was back home , is well beyond our means here. Colorado Springs, home of overpriced houses and rentals. I can't wait to move!

Old 12-25-2010, 09:52 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesg2010 View Post
I am a military wife from Texas. I have found, living in the Springs, that the housing rentals and apt. rentals are beyond overpriced for the quality of the rentals. For a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath here , ranges from 1000-1500 and when you go to see the homes to evaluate the area. They are old houses built in the late 70's or 80's the inside looks like the inside of a trailor home. For that much money I was living in a suburban subdivision area of San Antonio, all new appliances, wood flooring, quality materials and fixtures, big backyard, and nice landscaping. I too am shocked as to how some home owners feel their ugly old houses are worth as much as they are asking for. Whats sad is , just to live as my family was back home , is well beyond our means here. Colorado Springs, home of overpriced houses and rentals. I can't wait to move!
I think you'll be disappointed with a lot of areas home prices if you are comparing them to San Antonio.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:00 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Jes, I suspect you're not looking at the area as a whole.

I see a 4/4 with 3-car in a top school district (20) that was built in 2000 and is offered for rent at $1325.00/month, in the Briargate area. Google the address to see a realtor site: 7953 Ultra DR, 80920 (our rules don't allow linking to websites of specific realty firms).

To find another half dozen SFH's in Briargate, go to the local realtor assoc website, then click on the FOR RENT icon, then click on Briargate, then follow the step to draw a search block, then fill in the number of BRs and Baths, set the MAX price at $1500/month, then hit search and you should get about six hits.

Tell us where it is in/around town that you are finding all the undesirable homes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs