Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 14,314 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. So, I've been thinking about where I want to move to in the near future, and was hoping you all would be able to give me some insight into Colorado Springs.

First, a little bit about me. I am a 23 year old from Washington State (near Seattle) and have just completed my Bachelor's in Spanish Language and Russian Language. I am looking for a place to move for a few years while I save up money to get my ESL certification and teach abroad for a few years, so living in Colorado Springs would only be temporary: 3 years tops. More than anything, I'm looking for a laid back place to exprience my early-mid twenties. (Read "experience" not "go through the motions.") I'm not looking for a career in CS, just a job. Something salaried that will earn me upwards of 15,000 a year, nothing fancy. I will have no student debts, and a decent sized egg to get me on my feet, basically no responsibilites. I want to make a move like this before I start to set down roots and establish myself, so I figure no time like the present.

So, I was hoping I could pick your brains a bit. What should I expect to pay for rent? Where do people my age live? Is CS a young city, or mostly for more established folks? How's the dating scene? Is there a Russian or Spanish community in the city? How long does it usually take to find employment? Is being an Aves fan a requirment for living in Colorado, or just strongly reccommended?

I have no family in Colorado, so this will be a gamble for me. Please, be honest with me, I don't want to show up and realize I've made a terrible mistake! Anything else you can think to add that would help me out would be awesome.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by SkankingDevil; 05-20-2012 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:21 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
1. Rent varies a lot. I would say you could a very nice place for $900.
2. People your age live everywhere, but if you're wanting a younger or more urban feel you might look around Garden of the Gods Road, or Old Colorado City perhaps.
3. No, it is not a young city. It doesn't have that feel.
4. I've heard there isn't much of a dating scene. People tend to find each other through activities like sports, outdoor activities, church groups, connections through friends, etc.
5. I think there is both but I think both are small. If you're open to Western hemisphere Spanish speakers your options are much more significant.
6. It can take awhile, or you might get lucky and find something immediately.
7. No, and hockey itself isn't that big around here - once you get away from Canada it fades fast. People care more about the Broncos and the Rockies here. No one seems to care too much about the poor Nuggets. Actually, I'd say people care more about college hockey here than the Avs - Colorado College is a good local team.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,345 times
Personally, I think you'd be better off in Denver. The Springs is a great town and I love it here, but its probably a lil' dull for a young person like yourself. Much more of a cosmopolitan vibe and a nightlife in Denver, especially coming from the Seattle area.

While there are spanish speaking folks everywhere these days, I think you're more apt to find a thriving latin and Russian "community" in Denver. It's much more ethnically diverse.

The trade off, higher cost of living, rent, traffic, etc. While the job market is tough everywhere, I also think there may be a broader job market there. The Springs job market is heavily associated with the Defense industry.

Since you're looking for something simple, I would think a call-center, or entry level IT helpdesk position would be ideal for you. Come in, do your shift, ...leave....or even something you can do from home.

Do yourself a big favor, take a trip for a week, it's a short flight. Rent a car, and visit each place for a couple days before just showing up. It'll help you make your decision and see what's right for you. I admire your courage...seriously....it takes a lot to just pick up and move somehwere like that....Good luck!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
If I were a recent grad with a degree in Russian, my resume would be sent to CIA, DIA, NSA, NRO, and the Army/Navy/USAF intel offices. The cold war may be over, but there is always a need.....pays well, good bennies, and a free ride to exotic locale and duty stations....

There's plenty of Spanish speaking in most of CA, NV, AZ, NM, CO, TX and most larger metro areas these.

There's a small Russian group here, IIRC there is a thread on it, so use the advanced search tool with keyword RUSSIAN and search on titles only.

Highest concentration of young people here are the soldiers at Fort Carson and some college students. Mostly a family-oriented city for established sorts. Not a great dating scene with all the young healthy military guys, Denver isn't much better in that regard. Big dating scenes you should consider is DC and Northern Virginia nearest to DC (gets us back to those agencies in the first sentence); DC has always been a happy hunting ground for men....lots of career women there.

Rents are better here than Denver and much better than coastal cities.

All things considered, I'd go the government route, especially the DC area. The mountains will always be here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkankingDevil View Post
Please, be honest with me, I don't want to show up and realize I've made a terrible mistake
I agree that Denver is a better place to spend three "unencumbered" years in your 20's than is Colorado Springs. I've lived in both cities and prefer Colorado Springs as a place to raise kids, etc. but Denver BY FAR as the place to be young, unattached, and in need of employment. I lived right smack in the middle of it, Capitol Hill, and loved it. Denver is a magnet city for recent college grads of both genders. Colorado Springs is a magnet city for retired military and married couples with children. If possible, visit both cities. I suspect it won't take you long to discern the difference. Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:36 PM

643 posts, read 2,385,093 times
Colorado Springs is less expensive than Denver, so it would help you save money faster. There is amazing scenery with hiking and biking trails in and near Colorado Springs, but as others have said young unattached people would often prefer to live in Denver. Apart from the landscape, much of Colorado Springs could be dropped in the Denver metro area and fit right in as a Denver suburb. I would look towards Old Colorado City or the downtown area if you move here and don't want as strong a suburban/family feel.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM

727 posts, read 1,365,923 times
I agree with Mike. With your degree in Russian language your best bet, whether to settle down or just have an adventure for a while, would be in DC working for one of the "Acronyms" or the "Beltway Bandits" (i.e., consulting firms, defense/intel contractors, etc.) or even on the "Hill." You might also try grad school in Int'l Affairs, etc., at G'town or GWU. In the agencies he listed, you'll earn a lot more than $15K/year, even to start, and the way the entry level jobs are structured in the Fed, you'll move up quickly the first few years. DC is a great place for your demographic (i.e., young, single and educated). Great restaurants and clubs, sports, shows, etc. If you can adjust to the heat, humidity, bugs and traffic, you should do well. I just moved to COS from the Northern VA area (DC metro) 18 mos ago and don't regret it at all, but I'm not in your situation (i.e., educated, yes, but not young and single). If you're looking for a big city night life type environment and want to put your education to use, I'd head to DC as Mike suggests.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 14,314 times
Dang guys, thanks a lot! I definitely appricate all the input, it's really going to help me out. For sure glad I came to these fourms first!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
I agree that Denver is a better place to spend three "unencumbered" years in your 20's than is Colorado Springs. I've lived in both cities and prefer Colorado Springs as a place to raise kids, etc. but Denver BY FAR as the place to be young, unattached, and in need of employment. I lived right smack in the middle of it, Capitol Hill, and loved it. Denver is a magnet city for recent college grads of both genders. Colorado Springs is a magnet city for retired military and married couples with children. If possible, visit both cities. I suspect it won't take you long to discern the difference. Good luck and have fun.
I'm 27 and married without kids. I spent days exploring Denver and CS and found that I had NO interest in moving to Denver and even rejected a good job offer there. I'm very interested in CS. The parts of Denver that I saw had higher prices without any higher pay. The roads were poorly maintained and crowded. Several areas just looked depressing. For the life of me I can not figure out why so many people move there.

CS had slightly lower rent, better mountain views, better street conditions, far less cars, and nicer people who didn't seem to be on the edge of self destruction.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:45 PM

55 posts, read 120,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I'm 27 and married without kids. I spent days exploring Denver and CS and found that I had NO interest in moving to Denver and even rejected a good job offer there. I'm very interested in CS. The parts of Denver that I saw had higher prices without any higher pay. The roads were poorly maintained and crowded. Several areas just looked depressing. For the life of me I can not figure out why so many people move there.

it depends what you want. if you want everything to look shiny and new out of the box with no signs of human use than yes, springs and phoenix are attractive places. i think one "depressing" street of denver (s. federal) also contain more life and more stories than the entire city of springs. a city is meant for everyone of all backgrounds and denver has that and i enjoy seeing other sides of life integrated into a city. i'll be the first to admit that federal is gritty (homeless, graffiti, crime, decayed factories), but to me "depressing" is going down powers or academy and seeing the same drive-thru crap or mass-produced mall as any suburban place in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs