Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:38 PM

665 posts, read 1,298,376 times

Advertisements

I know it's too soon to say much, but we have plans of house hunting in early August. We're starting to wonder if we should wait. We don't want to take a hotel room from someone in need. Or should we come help by spending money and helping with some tax dollars? We really don't know what the best thing to do is.

Best wishes to all my future neighbors. We're very saddened by the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM

20,427 posts, read 14,745,069 times
I'd say plan on doing it, but be prepared to alter those plans if necessary. Like...save up the money, but don't buy plane tickets yet. Watch a bit longer, see how it goes. If nothing else, you might look for a room in a hotel down the interstate someplace, just far enough off to have vacancies but an easy drive to CoS and your house hunting.

If you have any issue whatsoever with the intense smell of smoke, then do postpone your trip. This town is gonna stink for a while.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Hotel is booked (but refundable) and we're driving. So it would be easy to change plans if needed. We really want to come because it's our best time to research neighborhoods/houses. The next time we come we want to be moving there!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 10,554,472 times
I don't see why you'd need to delay your trip. August is a long time away.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,589,442 times
By August, it'll be okay. People will have returned to their homes by then, and those who lost their homes will most likely have found rentals while they decide whether to rebuild or not.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:09 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,388,586 times
I'll be coming home for R&R in August, I'll fly into Denver if I have to. By that time, I HOPE the fire is out, and god help us if it isn't!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 AM

25 posts, read 55,302 times
I'd say still plan on making the trip. I think it will give you the opportunity to see what a beautiful and wonderful community the Colorado Springs area is despite the tragedy that is still unfolding.

The money you spend on your visit would certainly help support the businesses and restaurants that have been hurt by closures, evacuations, and loss of tourism revenue.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 AM

727 posts, read 1,368,421 times
This has truly been a horrific fire, and there's a long way to go before it's contained and out, but most of it has been in the western foothills overlooking the city. The latest estimate of structure damage has been approximately 300 homes and the Flying W Ranch (a tourist attraction, conference center, restaurant complex) all of which are located at the far western edge of the city in one fairly concentrated area. The fire line in the subdivision (Mountain Shadows) that burned two days ago held last night and the fire doesn't appear to be a major threat right now anyway. They're fighting hot spots and the like in that area, but the fire spokesperson seemed pretty optimistic at the briefing this morning that that immediate danger has passed. The main thrust of the fire now is in the foothills near Woodland Park along Highway 24 and that area is several miles up in the mountains. Last I heard, 24 is still closed. The other main thrust of the fire is northward towards the Air Force Academy. Those two areas are where most of the efforts are being concentrated today.

Bottom line: Colorado Springs is not on fire, though the pictures and video you've been seeing may make it appear that it is. By August you should have no reason not to come. In fact, as greenfarmgirl posted, please do come, and spend some money enjoying our hospitality to help some of the businesses who've had to close down operations during what would be their normal busy tourist season.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 PM

Thank you everyone. We will not be changing our plans. We will try to help out all the local shops and restaurants as best as we can. And we hope to be paying property taxes real soon.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM

7 posts, read 11,400 times
Come visit! It really is improving and by August it'll be a different scene altogether. I've lived through some terrible fires in WY and MT but this is unlike anything I've seen. That being said, CoS is still good to go. It is a terrible experience for so many but this is an incredible community and I feel blessed to live here and watch the outpouring of support. I work at USAFA and even though it is burning (in very small areas) we inprocessed the new class of cadets without issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs