Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM

15 posts, read 24,860 times

Advertisements

We are moving in January to CO Springs. We have a rescue cat that goes in and out of the house. If she stays inside too long she will show us she is upset by urinating in a corner so keeping her inside all the time is not an option. If we let her out when she cries we don't have any behavior problems.

We are trying to decide if we should find a new home for her in Kansas before we leave or if we should try to move her and keep up the same routine in CO.

I guess my concern is wild animals getting a hold of her and also how people react to outdoor/indoor cats in subdivisions. We don't have any issues here in Kansas.

She is a part of our family so please no hateful comments! Only advice regarding the options stated please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
The urinating is actually a sign of marking territory, meaning she is feeling a need to defend her home from an outside animal - perhaps another cat, or a raccoon, etc., in your neighborhood.
Outdoor cats have a severely shortened life span, seriously impact the natural ecosystem birds, etc., and in some neighborhoods are considered real nuisances and are opened to threats from humans as well, - like people shooting bb guns or people calling the pound for them to be trapped and taken to the pound and most likely put down, unfortunately.
I would suggest talking to your vet about her because he may be able to offer suggestions to help her be a happy, healthy indoor cat or offer other advice.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Cats here are a favorite prey of foxes and coyotes if allowed outdoors at night.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Absolutely! I know this from sad experience. Now we make the cats come in before dark.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
I've had the same cat for 5 years now, she goes in and out as she pleases, and I live in an area with a high amount of coyotes and other predators. How she's survived all this time is beyond me, but she must be pretty smart.

If I don't let her out at night she'll drive me up a wall.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
One of the things about cats is, once they're in a new environment, they can easily adapt to a new routine. Moving to a new home is the perfect time to make her an indoor cat and it won't bother her a bit. But, it will only work if she NEVER goes outside, not even once. She goes in and out now because that's her routine in that environment. But, new house, new routine. Vets say that a move is the best time to start a new routine with a cat because they won't carry their old habits to their new environment. When you get to your new home, don't let her go outside, even once, and she won't miss it.

Besides the predator issue, there is also the bird issue. Many people feed birds as a hobby and get very upset when a cat is in the area threatening the birds. People don't hesitate to use BB guns, and your cat may be a victim of target practice outdoors. An outdoor cat has a life span of about 6 years, while an indoor cat can live 14 years or longer. Cars, coyotes, BB guns, Animan Control, birds, dogs, and diseases, are all good reasons to train and keep your cat indoors.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM

15 posts, read 24,860 times
Thank you guys so much for all the responses! I was thinking last night that the move might just be a perfect time to switch her to inside only as someone else stated. I would be very upset if something happened to her whether it be from another animal or a person.

We do have another cat so I guess it could potentially be marking but she has only done it twice and both times were when she was staying inside because of a respiratory problem. We will be updating her shots before moving so I will also mention it to the vet as well!

I am very happy that I found this forum! You guys have been so helpful already! Relocating can be very stressful and I always think if off the wall questions! I'm glad I have a place to throw them out!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
FYI, putting your cats in at night does not ensure they are safe from coyotes and foxes. I have barn cats which get closed in at night, and I have lost 4 to coyotes or foxes over the last 18 years during daylight hours.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,926 times
And keep in mind that many neighbors don't appreciate cats jumping on their vehicles and scratching them as well as urinating in neighbors garages.

Keep the cats indoors or on the owners property only.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Cats also dig up garden plants and use gardens, sandboxes and other lawn areas as a catbox which can be really nasty, especially when children also play in the "catbox" areas. That's another reason to keep cats inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs