Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
there are supposedly 8 million illegal immigrants in the US. think of how many american born teenagers and young adults have no work because of this.
Your premise is correct, but the "offficial" government estimate is 11 million which is very conservative. The real figure is closer to 24 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
No we don't think it is good money, but if that is all we can find for a job, it is better than nothing at all or sitting on the dole. If employers aren't willing to offer better pay and no one is willing to "make" them do so, then we're left with little choice.
Yes, sadly true. Employers are ruthlessly taking advantage of the high unemployment. On our contract we were hammered with a 20% pay cut in January with no option but the door. Almost no one left.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:41 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt007 View Post
A big reason is the illegal immigrants driving down the wages. Carpenters, plumbers, HVAC, roofers, landscapers, etc. I know a few who had to move because they can't compete with an illegal who works for half of what others charge. When I moved here I had to have my landscaping done in the back yard...got several bids, one of which was almost half of the others. Care to guess why that was?

An no, I didn't hire the lowest bidder...I hired a local company who's been in business for 40+ years, using legal residents.
NPR ran a story about Texas contractors using illegals: Texas Contractors Say Playing By The Rules Doesn't Pay : NPR

The bottom line: Illegals will work for $8 per hour paid in cash, no benefits no workmans comp needed. I see no way for legitimate businesses to compete with that.

Do those same conditions exist here in Colorado Springs?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
When I was 18 years old 15 bucks an hours was considered passable. That was decades ago. Anyone who will work for 10 bucks an hour is a thrawl. I know of young people who are willing to work and have developed a skill who work for 20 dollars an hour and they barely get by.
Congratulations on being lucky enough not to know what it is like to have to work for ten dollars an hour. Consider yourself lucky. I currently have a job making less than that. Why do I do it? you ask. Because having a job making nine dollars an hour is better than not having a job. I lost a job making better money in TV photography, though probably not as much as most would think. I was having a hard time finding anyhting else until this one came along. I'm about to start school - at age 43 -- so that I can better myself since TV News is not the way to go.

Not sure you used the word "thrawl" right either.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,379,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Congratulations on being lucky enough not to know what it is like to have to work for ten dollars an hour. Consider yourself lucky. I currently have a job making less than that. Why do I do it? you ask. Because having a job making nine dollars an hour is better than not having a job. I lost a job making better money in TV photography, though probably not as much as most would think. I was having a hard time finding anyhting else until this one came along. I'm about to start school - at age 43 -- so that I can better myself since TV News is not the way to go.

Not sure you used the word "thrawl" right either.

No, he's right. I was making $13 hr in 1996 for the same work! How are the wages NOW, actually lower after all this time?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM

177 posts, read 315,169 times
Maybe some people "live below their means"??

$20/hr- If you can not live on that you need help.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:55 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,784 times
And yet, corporations are making record profits.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,379,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffdiver View Post
Maybe some people "live below their means"??

$20/hr- If you can not live on that you need help.
$20hr is a great wage, and definatley liveable. That's about $42K a year, which should take care of one or 2 people just fine. Also, $20Hr is the minimum any skilled tradesperson with years of experience, I.E., Carpenter, plumber, electrician, automotive tech, should work for.

It's just hilarious to see some craigslist job postings that go like this:

"Looking for ASE Certified Master automotive technician, must have own tools, 10 years of experience, preferably L1 certification, perfect driving record and excellent driveability skills. Starting pay $12 Hr"

Are these employers high or something? Anyone with that kind of experience and certification, should be making no less than $18 hr. It's a joke. And then the employers complain when they can't find a good loyal employee. I wonder why.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
It is all relative. $10/hour is decent money if your housing costs are less than $450/MO and gas is $3.00/gal and you can feed yourself and family for less than $200/month. That probably means no health insurance but hey if you are young you are probably healthy right? Have you ever noticed how rents and everything goes up when minimum wage rates are raised? Or a new factory opens up that pays decent wages and within a year rents, taxes etc increase? As long as there is a pool of illegal workers competing for your job- - - your wages will be lower. Competition is a weird thing isn't it?

GL2

Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,528,599 times
42k/yr will take care of two just fine IF you do not have school loan payments, car payments and have a small mortgage payment, and have no credit card debt. If, like many people, you have various loan/debt payments, 42K can be tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs