Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:23 AM

665 posts, read 1,295,329 times

Advertisements

We still love looking at the view as well. The first couple weeks I was get all giddy and excited, but of course that was the initial excitement. Now we kinda do what lurtsman said. We definitely still appreciate it. We also always try to park facing the mountains when we're grabbing a bite to eat or will be sitting in the car for a few minutes.

And we also go out hiking around the area a lot so that we can appreciate them even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRJ View Post
Does it ever get old?
No. But it's not a pure and constant source of happiness either. It's just nice.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
If I go somewhere else, I miss the mountains. I wonder to myself, "What on earth do these people look at?" And navigating is much easier here, too.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
If I go somewhere else, I miss the mountains. I wonder to myself, "What on earth do these people look at?" And navigating is much easier here, too.
Fat people. They look at fat people. I have lived in the land of high fructose corn syrup. We are the most in shape state in the country.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:25 PM

409 posts, read 704,231 times
This place IS rather svelte. I'm fairly average in most other places I've lived. Here, I'm feeling the pressure to hit the trails.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post

Not that big a deal in the summer, but in the winter, during a snow storm.....driving through metro Denver.......sucks!
Denver does have a public transportation system that really works. Working in Denver, I left my car at home and jumped on the bus. Now, light rail covers a lot of the metro area. Colorado Springs really lags behind in the public transportation department. Nothing on Sunday. For a city the size (land mass) it's a shame.

Otherwise, beautiful, great trails, great people, great air, great spots to eat, etc. ...............love it.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:28 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default North part of CS

I lived in Aurora for eight years and Castle Rock for six before that. Then came the bust and the wife and I had to leave Colorado to protect her career. I only had a retirement job in Aurora.

Now we are getting close to her retirement and would love to return to Colorado. Would prefer Denver metro mainly because our son and family recently moved to Parker. But housing and about everything else is going to be way too expensive around Denver for folks living on SS and a dabble of 401K money, so we've started looking at the Springs. And we will definitely be renters. I've got back issues and can't shovel snow or cut lawns any more.

We would like to stay on the north side of the city purely for the convenience of getting to Parker frequently. Any suggestions from CS residents with regard to apartment complexes to consider----or for that matter to cross off our list?

By the way, although I'm not a native of Colorado, I get a lump in my throat just thinking about how much I miss it. And as bad as Denver traffic is, it is nothing compared to Dallas which has six lane roads going through some residential areas---all of them packed at rush hour. My only positive for Dallas is the barbecue is good, but I've put on 15 pounds since we moved here four years ago.

God knows we both yearn for a daily view of the mountains.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:04 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
If they live in Parker, you could consider Castle Rock, Sedalia and Monument/Palmer Lake, as well as Franktown - and maybe avoid some of the traffic. I went up to Denver last week, just the southern end - and MAN was the traffic crazy - just a big adjustment compared to Colorado Springs - like not being able to change lanes by waiting for the lane to clear like I usually do down here - just a LOT more cars.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
If you live on the northern end of town, you could take Highway 83 up to Parker and avoid the interstate. There are some big newer apartment complexes in the Gleneagle and Northgate areas. They may be a bit pricey, but I don't know for sure.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
A side note from a personal finance side. Surviving retirement while renting is extremely difficult. I generally tell people if they can't afford to buy in the retirement location, there is no way they can afford to retire. (Unless they are certain they will die in the next 5 yaers or so) The payments to own at this point are significantly cheaper than the payments to rent, and unlike rent, the mortgage payment isn't going up next year. (Okay, taxes/insurance might go up, but you'd be looking at a about a .3% increase in total cost instead of 3 to 4%. Even if owning involves hiring someone to mow the lawn/shovel the snow.

As far as where to live. You'll have shorter drives if you live on the Northern side of the city, but if budgets are the major concern you may want to consider security/wide field. They have some very reasonable, safe homes on a budget. How often are you planning on making the trip? Once a week or less, I'd look at those areas due to cost of living.

If you were making the trip 3 to 4 times (maybe watching a grand child regularly), I'd be suggesting somewhere like castle rock, which is a wonderful little community--though I don't know house/rental pricing in that market. Monument of course is very nice also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs