Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM

34 posts, read 138,222 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I just got back from my visit to Denver. I went there with a transfer in mind and loved the area. Without hesitation, I was going to accept the transfer but now my employer says he really needs me in Colorado Springs. If I go, there's no telling when or if I'll be able to go to Denver but the opportunity in Colorado Springs actually sounds more promising. How do the two areas compare other than the size of the two. Is there anything more preferable about either of the two? I feel very comfortable with Denver but the whole Colorado Springs thing is something I'd have to commit to without even visiting. It's scary but I'd hate to say no to CS, move to Denver, and realize I should have gone to CS. Any input would very much be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,393 times
Well Denver is the biggest city in the state. Its going to have stuff that CO Springs does not. Not that there is anything wrong with CO Springs. Its kind of like comparing Chicago to Milwaukee. They're both big cities, but one is much more high profile.

I say the better job opportunity trumps the city, since they are close and both offer the Colorado experience.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:06 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,679 times
Colorado Springs in general is much more conservative and religious than Denver as well. A lot more military and government jobs than Denver.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,027,375 times
We're a mini-Denver but there are differences.

Denver has 5 pro sports, we have only one minor league baseball team and the rest are college teams.

Denver has far more theaters, shows, venues, art, culture, music; we have some but not a lot.

Denver has far more shopping choices; we have to go to Park Meadows Mall for a Nordstrom though we do have all the usual big box stores. We may get a Bass Pro shop soon, but not sure.

Denver is 20 miles from the mountains, we have Pikes Peak on our doorstep.

Denver real estate prices are way up this year and supply is way down, we have much more affordable housing. Search in realtor.com for zip 80920, on the north end of the city, my favorite area.

Denver metro area is generally a bit more liberal or progressive and tends to vote blue or purple, though IIRC Douglas County is socially conservative and votes red. We are heavily conservative and vote red at 60% or more.

Denver City schools are considered so-so but other districts up there are fine. We have one poorly performing district (D2) and our others are good to excellent.

Denver is mostly a civilian economy, we are a heavily military economy with tons of active and retired military members.

Denver metro area has slightly higher taxes, we have lower taxes and our city government is usually starving for funds.

Denver has corporate utilities, we have a city owned utility firm that has lower rates, though our water rates are rising.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,069 times
You can live on the north end of Colorado Springs, and still be about a 1 hour drive away from Denver.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM

651 posts, read 862,660 times
I live in colorado springs and came from Minnesota. I have been here for 2.5 years. My brother lives in Denver area (Aurora).

Springs is smaller city compared to Denver. It doesn't have the nightlife and stuff like Denver.

In terms of livability and traffic/costs/etc.

I would choose Colorado Springs over Denver every day of the week. I would live in Minneapolis over Denver. Denver has too many people and the traffic is poor IMO. They also have tons of development where homes are stacked next to each other all over the place.

I would choose the springs every time over both Denver and MPLS.

I like smaller cities.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
Simply put, Denver is a large city surrounded by suburbs, Colorado Springs is more like a large suburb in its own. The downtown area of C/S is very small for a city of it's size but has access to rich history: Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs, and Garden of the Gods Park nearby. The city has definitely outgrown its infrastructure and most of the development is mainly just become cookie cutter suburban development. There's light shopping options and the restaurant scene is fairly decent.

Denver is a large city with a much higher density and population. Like Mike said, its more of the civilian city while Colorado Springs has more of a military presence. Denver is definitely the more entertaining of the two and is probably the place where younger people would rather be. There's more places to go for entertainment and shopping such as: 16th street mall downtown, Cherry Creek, and Park Meadows.

Differences:

Denver-pro sports teams and stadiums
Colorado Springs- more of a military town- 5 military bases.
Denver- higher density and much higher population
Colorado Springs- Grander mountains, Garden of the Gods, Manitou Springs, O.C.City and Pikes Peak
Denver- definitely higher cost of living
Colorado Springs- better hills, overlooks, and scenery throughout the city
Denver- better nightlife, shopping,restaurants and more things to do on the entertainment side of things.
Colorado Springs- cleaner air
Denver- more traffic, more pollution, but better mass transit options
Denver- better job opportunities and businesses

Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,265 times
To boil it down...

When I was young and single, I lived in Denver and wouldn't even consider Colorado Springs an option. When I got married and had kids and "quality of life" became more of an issue, I live in Colorado Springs and don't even consider Denver to be an option. There is SO MUCH traffic/congestion up there compared to what I deal with here on a daily basis. I spend 30 minutes in my car each day, compared to the 1-2 hours I'm guessing I'd spend in Denver. I spend 5 minutes walking/biking from my house to foothill trails. Then 12 minutes to drive downtown to my office.

In other words, alot of your decision will depend on where you are in life and what matters to you. Exciting edgy urban stuff with a HUGE amount of traffic/congestion, you'll want Denver. Easy to get around, close to mountains, with a metro area still 500K+, then Colorado Springs is it. Both are great places to live, one is just better for a young congested-urban single life, the other is better for the post-single quality-of-life scene. Just my opinion.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:06 PM

553 posts, read 1,635,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
To boil it down...

Just my opinion.
There's really nothing I can add. smdensbcs completely nailed it.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,120 times
I would sooner cut off my left arm than move to Denver. Colorado Springs is just too awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs