Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 AM

268 posts, read 290,277 times

Advertisements

CS is one of the cities I was thinking of retiring to, but could someone address the following:
  1. Is flooding not an ongoing concern?
  2. Is there a lot of crime, and ruses used to sell marijuana, given that recreational mj is illegal there?
  3. Is there good medical care there, specifically cancer?
  4. How significant is the military presence?

I read somewhere that North Korea indicated that CS was a major target in the event of nuclear war, but they located it more in the area of New Orleans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:33 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
From your Denver threads it seems you are retired, with COPD, post-cancer & with degenerative osteoarthritis. That's a lot to bear. Denver is expensive for housing, way less here.

Ignore the idiot in N. Korea, he cannot do squat and he will not.

Crime happens everywhere, ours is nothing like big eastern cities with huge sprawling areas of poverty.

The military presence is here but is a positive.

We have Med MJ here in town and Rec MJ is as near as Manitou Springs on the west side of town, or 2 hours round trip to Pueblo. IIRC, Med MJ is available in quite a few states, you might NOT have to move to expensive Denver to get some.

Flooding was an issue in Manitou Springs, but only along the creek, and up along Hwy 24. These areas have largely been fixed. Do not worry about it; if you wish, ask us about a specific home or street you're considering. There are some local issues up near the Waldo Canyon burn scar with excessive runoff, same for the Black Forest burn scar areas. The burn scars affect such a tiny part of the housing here that it's not an issue to avoid this city.

There is excellent medical care here via four main hospitals. IIRC the city has no certified burn unit and does not have the highest level of trauma center but they are working on getting our trauma centers upgraded to the top standard. Other forms of medical care are here, though once in a great while it may be necessary to drive up to Denver, which is the main hub city for 500 miles in any direction.

Check our home prices and rental rates on ppar.com and avoid the scammers on craigslist.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-29-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 AM

Wow, Mike: Thanks. Bit tearful. Yeah, in a lot of pain.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
Wow, Mike: Thanks. Bit tearful. Yeah, in a lot of pain.
Note that I edited my sentence on Med MJ to say that you may NOT have to move to Denver for MED MJ as quite a few states have it.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Note that I edited my sentence on Med MJ to say that you may NOT have to move to Denver for MED MJ as quite a few states have it.
Yes, but mine does not.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 PM

Not to be morbid, but I will probably be lucky if I live another 20 years, so my next move, if I make one, will probably be my last. What I am attempting to do is take into account the effects of global warming. There seems to be a lot more reporting of floods in the news, and while that may be in part a function of better news reporting and better technology, I suspect there is more flooding.

If this is the case, I don't want to be stupid and move into an area that's going to be flooded. I don't know, but I would think the base of a mountain range might well be such an area.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
Not to be morbid, but I will probably be lucky if I live another 20 years, so my next move, if I make one, will probably be my last. What I am attempting to do is take into account the effects of global warming. There seems to be a lot more reporting of floods in the news, and while that may be in part a function of better news reporting and better technology, I suspect there is more flooding.

If this is the case, I don't want to be stupid and move into an area that's going to be flooded. I don't know, but I would think the base of a mountain range might well be such an area.
Depends....Manitou Springs sits at the base of Pikes Peak, it's terrain is steep BUT any flooding is confined to the areas at the very lowest point nearest to Fountain Creek, and by nearest I mean within 100 feet or so. Look at google maps for Manitou Springs and follow that blue line along Rte 24, that's the area where there was some flooding the other year, but as you get further away from that you are gaining altitude and removing yourself from the flood hazard.

Your realtor will point out any flood zone dangers to you, the utter vast majority of homes here have no real flood hazard associated with them.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,823 times
Here's an interactive flood risk map of the city:

https://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=4498

Really.... just use common sense. Don't buy a house in low ground near a stream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs