Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM

6,834 posts, read 10,588,230 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs downtown makes top 10 in U.S. | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

I know some people in these forums complain about our downtown and want it to follow a model more like Denver, etc. But some people like it as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,891,287 times
I'd like it better if I could take a nap on a planter.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:49 AM

4,939 posts, read 2,957,040 times
I wonder who got paid off to make our downtown number 9. Boulder ft Collins Denver all have superior downtowns to the springs.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:42 AM

6,834 posts, read 10,588,230 times
I like our downtown much better than Denver's, I lived in Ft. Collins and I think ours is better than that one, too. But I don't know Boulder's. Of course it is all subjective.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:57 AM

4,939 posts, read 2,957,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I like our downtown much better than Denver's, I lived in Ft. Collins and I think ours is better than that one, too. But I don't know Boulder's. Of course it is all subjective.
Its definitely subjective however I have traveled extensively and can not fathom how any serious article about urban downtowns would consider the springs downtown to be in the top ten. The only logical conclusion is the writer was paid off.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:12 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,184,933 times
They only looked at small to mid-size cities - that is probably why Denver is not in there.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:38 AM

3,962 posts, read 4,427,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
They only looked at small to mid-size cities - that is probably why Denver is not in there.
Exactly. With this poll, as well as the recent US News poll, I think one should look at the criteria that is being used to drive the conclusion before wholesale saying the results are BS.

If your poll criteria is looking for the city with the best late night jazz scene, set in post modern architecture, that sells anchovies pizza, and you publish it as Cities with the best night life list, you've got skewed data points and a mis-leading headline.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,888,324 times
I like downtown Colorado Springs but last time I was back there seemed to be more street-level vacancies. It seemed like before there was a very nice mix of local stores and chains and last time I was back more clubs, less restaurants, less locally owned stores and more vacancies.

It would be nice if they had alot more dense multi-family devolopments in the area as I think it would increase the liveliness of it.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:11 PM

3,962 posts, read 4,427,347 times
I'll admit I don't walk around downtown observing vacancies, but things do seem reasonably full and active of late. Of course, you do have the eternally vacant former Michelle's Café smack dab in the middle of the Tejon strip, but that is only a single, but highly visable store that has a significant backstory that I don't think is done being written. Yes, the Guadagnolis have been monopolizing all of their club holdings into the downtown area, which can make it an interesting place after dark, but there are plenty of places to eat down town.

According to the CSBJ, office vacancy in downtown CoS is running right around 9% and class A vacancies are 13%. They also claim that half a billion dollars have been spent or are planned for downtown projects over the last two years and the near future. This includes the Olympic Museum complex, Catalyst Campus, several major facelifts, and the recently opened Blue Dot Apartment complex. There also are a couple other low rise housing projects in the planning stages that will add several hundred more housing units to the area along with the whole Martin Drake de-commissioning saga and SoDo re-development plans.

It may not be Denver, but it certainly isn't hicksville. And while we may have our own issues with homeless panhandling, at least they aren't living in boxes and tarp cities right on the sidewalk, as I have witnessed in Denver's downtown.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:51 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,528,136 times
This list makes no sense as it has Pittsburgh then leaves out other downtown's like Denver and Boulder and Fort Collins and even Pueblo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs