Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 07:39 AM

403 posts, read 1,325,557 times

Advertisements

I lived in CO for 12 years, and never got used to the intensity of the sun. Even on slightly cooler days, we found ourselves walking with an umbrella if we were out in the open. We lived up in the foothills, so we generally had shade on our hikes, but walking in more open parks could be brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:50 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Honestly the sun doesn't bother me at all and I'm almost as pasty white as you can get. Spent plenty of time above timberline this year with sunscreen and a trucker hat.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:59 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
What I got used to was wearing long sleeve pants and shirts (with long enough sleeves that they cover my hands - men's shirts are great for this) in the summer. Wide brim hat all year long. In the winter I just put it on top of my winter hat. Sunglasses all the time. The longer I have been here the more I want to get away from it. When I was young I would use suntan lotion over exposed skin but no more. Now everything is covered up and it actually is cooler when you have the right clothes. The middle east folks are on to something with the long robes and long sleeve shirts in the desert.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:36 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
What I got used to was wearing long sleeve pants and shirts (with long enough sleeves that they cover my hands - men's shirts are great for this) in the summer. Wide brim hat all year long. In the winter I just put it on top of my winter hat. Sunglasses all the time. The longer I have been here the more I want to get away from it. When I was young I would use suntan lotion over exposed skin but no more. Now everything is covered up and it actually is cooler when you have the right clothes. The middle east folks are on to something with the long robes and long sleeve shirts in the desert.
I also wear long sleeves and pants year round and often buy a size up or men's for the added arm length to cover part of the hands. I wear a baseball cap if I'm going to be out for any length of time. I need to wear sunglasses more than I do. I wear prescription glasses and because of some of my hobbies I can't use the kind that automatically adjust to light and getting a second prescription pair of sunglasses is expensive but something I need to just commit to doing. I've done the clip-ons and sunglasses over the glasses thing and I find them all uncomfortable options if for any length of time.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I also wear long sleeves and pants year round and often buy a size up or men's for the added arm length to cover part of the hands. I wear a baseball cap if I'm going to be out for any length of time. I need to wear sunglasses more than I do. I wear prescription glasses and because of some of my hobbies I can't use the kind that automatically adjust to light and getting a second prescription pair of sunglasses is expensive but something I need to just commit to doing. I've done the clip-ons and sunglasses over the glasses thing and I find them all uncomfortable options if for any length of time.
Check out Zenni for cheap prescription sunglasses. I have been thrilled with the quality for the price.

Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online

Old 12-22-2016, 02:14 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Check out Zenni for cheap prescription sunglasses. I have been thrilled with the quality for the price.

Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online

X2, love Zenni!!

Just need to get the PD (pupillary distance) measured since your optometrist may not give that to you as part of your prescription. Some will if you ask but I doubt it.

They (the eye doctors) want you to buy the glasses from THEM (at a huge mark-up).

Old 12-22-2016, 04:04 PM

If you have ever bought prescription glasses from Costco it will be on your receipt. That is where I found mine.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:57 AM

384 posts, read 376,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSpringsBound View Post
Merry Christmas all!

I was wondering for those of you who moved here from a lower elevation, did you ever get used to the intensity of the sun? I've been bothered by it more last summer than the summer before that, but I'm thinking it may be because I've been spending more time outdoors. During the warmer days it gets uncomfortably noticeable to the point that I worry if I'll ever get used to it. I'm really hoping it's just a matter of being outdoors often enough (and using sunblock) that it gives the body a chance to acclimate and adapt, so I'm trying to force myself to out more often despite being such a homebody.

I think I'd feel better knowing those who have lived here for a long while and came from lower elevation states got used to it themselves after enough time passed.

Moved here from middle Tennessee about 3.5 years ago, that's pretty low elevation .Oddly, I have yet to have a sunburn here and I have never put on sunscreen, I am very pale with light blue eyes. Just make sure to protect your eyes with sunglasses always. I am having problems keeping my vitamin d up here, it was below 5 , that is really low. Don't be a homebody , this is a beautiful state, lots to see and do, and no you may never get used to the intensity of the sun, nor the altitude. I still sometimes gasp running up my stairway at home. The altitude affects everyone differently.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:20 PM

402 posts, read 369,464 times
I gotta say I love the sun intensity in the winter. Don't even need to wear a jacket during the day if the temp is above ~35. As soon as the sun goes down however...or if the wind kicks up...on goes the jacket!

Polarized sunglasses really help the eyes. I always wear a pair when outside or driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Just need to get the PD (pupillary distance) measured since your optometrist may not give that to you as part of your prescription. Some will if you ask but I doubt it.
If it's not on your prescription it's fairly easy to measure at home. You can even do it by yourself if you can't get a family member or friend to help you.

Ha, the first result on Google was from Zenni: Ordering glasses online? Missing PD? Here's how to measure it at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: