Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Solar panels after the first hail storm?

If you know a bad storm is coming there are always safe guards you can put into place.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,471 times
Go live there for a month. Get doped up and see how you like it. Why would anyone move without trying it out first?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Go live there for a month. Get doped up and see how you like it. Why would anyone move without trying it out first?

Last time I was there I was in my 20's I'm sure it's changed a lot. Planning on being close enough to take the time to explore the area.

BTW the OP is my wife so please be nice.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM

317 posts, read 474,951 times
OP, would you have any aversion to buying a singlewide trailer as opposed to a tiny home? This would get you in line with zoning requirements without requiring spending much more money. I know they don't seem as attractive and adventurous as a converted bus or Tiny Home, but you can get a decent singlewide for $30k, even less if you buy one used (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if it's been taken care of). That way you would meet the minimum square feet requirement for most locales.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:38 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Last time I was there I was in my 20's I'm sure it's changed a lot. Planning on being close enough to take the time to explore the area. BTW the OP is my wife so please be nice.
So you're giving up green and lush South Carolina for faded and wide open CO? And giving up moderate and wetter SC for widely varying and dry-as-bone CO? Reading your wife and your plans, the location change seems backwards.

And why CO versus many other states? The legal MJ and right-to-die stuff may become completely insignificant compared to other issues and matters that might pop up. At the very least, visit first, look around closely, and get a reality check before putting all that time and investment of moving. You owe it to yourselves to check it out first.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:14 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Sounds like a good plan: get doped up and make decisions lol.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If you know a bad storm is coming there are always safe guards you can put into place.
Sadly you never know when and how bad hail will hit on the Front Range. It's not like storms on the east coast that can be tracked and prepared for to a degree. That's why they are often called "freak" hailstorms and the destruction can vary significantly even from one block to the next. If you could predict Colorado weather you would make a fortune.

You and your wife could research the Western Slope (west of the Continental Divide) of Colorado, that area lends itself better to small hobby farms and keeping some farm animals. Of course this all depends on your budget, when land is cheap in Colorado there is usually a reason why. Some of the best weather for growing in Colorado is found in the lower elevations of the Grand Valley, the Uncompahgre River Valley or the North Fork Valley. Areas near Delta, Montrose, Olathe, Hotckiss, Paonia, Grand Junction.

There is less hail than the front range, summers are hotter and the lower elevation makes for a longer growing season and the ability to grow fruit; you can get properties with some water shares. The best sweet corn in Colorado (maybe even the Country ) is grown in Olathe. Delta County's building codes are more tiny home friendly than other parts of Colorado. Biggest drawback in the area is jobs or lack thereof and possibly lack of a big city and it's amenities, jobs, medical care etc. if you want or need that within closer proximity. Also some areas are arid with scenery similar to parts of Utah.

I also agree with other posters who said to take a good look at Oregon, a lot of what you hope to accomplish can be done so much easier there, plus the medical and recreational MJ and Right to Die legislation that you are looking for.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 02-08-2017 at 08:10 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 08:09 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,859,463 times
Plenty of people just pick up and go somewhere new. That's what I did when I came to Colorado.

It's the American way and so what's wrong it? A little adventure, an unknown around every corner. Who cares? Go to the places on the maps that used to say "here there be dragons" and see what happens. It's not like if you don't like it, you can't try something else.

There's no point in stating everything that could go wrong ... because hey, it might all go right.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:28 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Why would anyone grow a garden when you can grow pot? Sheesh isn't that what Colorado is all about?

Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 AM

[quote=Thoreau424;47129916]So you're giving up green and lush South Carolina for faded and wide open CO? And giving up moderate and wetter SC for widely varying and dry-as-bone CO? Reading your wife and your plans, the location change seems backwards.

And why CO versus many other states? The legal MJ and right-to-die stuff may become completely insignificant compared to other issues and matters that might pop up. At the very least, visit first, look around closely, and get a reality check before putting all that time and investment of moving. You owe it to yourselves to check it out first.[/QUOTE

It's hotter here in the summer then the West in general. We love the snow as well. Nothing is written in stone we're just trying to get a feel of what's it like out there these days. Very soon. We plan to be out there looking around. I used to live in WA but always perfered OR.
I know it's more lush and we have the ability to have a nicer garden there as well.

Besides we already own a Subtle 😁
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs