Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,255 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I just got a job out at Schriever and will be moving at the end of the month. Ideally, I don't think I want to live on base b/e it is so far away from everything. However, I am not sure where to look to live. Here is my situation:

- single and in my mid-20s, but not really a party/club person, though I am down for some good hookah!
- own two cats, and seriously thinking about getting a dog
- moving from Kentucky
- a native of CO returning home! (Greeley/FTC/Loveland trifeta)

Here's what I am looking for:
- a house or townhouse (I am super tired of living in apartment complexes)
- 2-3 bed
- 1.5-2 bath
- min 1000 sqft
- absolute max rent of $1550/mo (preferably w/ util/HOA included, but based off searches I have already done I don't expect it)
- must accept cats
- roughly a 30 min drive to Schriever
- I would prefer something that looks out over nature since CS has so much of it! Plus, I don't like the press of humanity (hence why no apt complex)
- Not in the middle of the city, unless it's next to a park or some other green space(like a creek in the backyard, which I had in GA!)

Based off of all the above, I was thinking about following hwy 24 from Peyton down to Fountain as livable areas. What I would like to know is if I have reasonable expectations? Are there any areas I should stay away from? Any area(s) I should look at that I haven't mentioned? Anything else I need to consider? Anything I missed?

I'm only going to be able to look for a place to live the last week of the month and I would like to be moved into a place by the of that week. When should I start scheduling showings for units?

Thanks in advance for all of your replies!

~Karana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 03:56 PM

26,241 posts, read 49,134,708 times
There will be housing in your price range. The local MLS site, www.ppar.com does rentals as well as sales.

I'd suggest along the Powers Blvd (CO-21) corridor as that's where all the shopping, eats, and movies are. Lots of housing options along that corridor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,174,076 times
If you plan to rent a townhouse or condo, we aware that many allow only 2 pets, so it may prevent you from getting a dog. Oddly I have seen some that allow one cat and one dog, but not two of the same.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,546,793 times
I think the area you suggested is good - might go a bit further into Fountain - around Link Road, perhaps Little Ranches, etc.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 PM

12,882 posts, read 9,112,118 times
Worked at Schriever for 10 years. Loved it out there, except for the drive in winter. We lived in Woodmen Hills region for a reasonable drive. That was pretty far outside the city when we lived there, but it's been a while so things have undoubtedly changed.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,255 times
Thanks for all of your replies! I'm already looking through ppar.com available rentals.

@beezle1 - I am aware. I have found a few places that allows three pets, but they are few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Worked at Schriever for 10 years. Loved it out there, except for the drive in winter. We lived in Woodmen Hills region for a reasonable drive. That was pretty far outside the city when we lived there, but it's been a while so things have undoubtedly changed.
How would you describe the drive out there in winter?

I've seen Waypoint Homes pop up a lot in my searches. Can anyone give me a review on them? Are there any good property management companies in the area that I can look at?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:24 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,406,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karana View Post

How would you describe the drive out there in winter?

Schriever is out on the prairie. Mild snow fall combined with moderate winds may create ground blizzard conditions out where there are few trees and topography variation to break up the winds. Even a simple feature like someone's gate to their house can create a significant enough wind break to create a 3-4" tall snow drift. Now, given the requirements for base access, the county makes an effort to keep the roads open, but severe storms can close things for brief periods. Of course, most days for most the winter it is boringly uneventful.

You might also look around the Falcon area. This area has undergone significant growth over the last decade. Not as much as NorCo, but a fair amount. Moving further west, the eastern edge of Cos is workable for you as well. Stetson Hills is a newer area and will have comparably newer homes and associated prices. Cimmaron Hills is a bit south of that and will have homes in built in the 60-70s and be a bit more price friendly. Both areas are easily accessible to Powers Blvd and Marsheffel Rd which accesses Highway 94 to Shriever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs