Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 AM

730 posts, read 776,812 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what is being predicted for the summer this year and for fire danger? Last June (2016) seemed to be a lot wetter, although we did have some nice late May snow this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM

6,834 posts, read 10,614,002 times
I think it is too early to tell. It will depend on if the monsoon system sets up or not. A few weeks one way or another means nothing here as for the long or mid term prognosis. Some people have had significant rain the last few weeks and some have had none. One should simply always consider fire a real danger here.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:11 AM

472 posts, read 351,711 times
We are suppose to start getting rain early next week! Let's keep our fingers crossed! It is forecast to be near average the rest of the season from the learn term discussion forecast office from Denver.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:38 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,388,658 times
I work for the Forest Service and I fire training behind me (Red Card). I'm not claiming to be an expert, by any means, but what I can say is take all of the predictions about fire season in any given year and throw them in the trash. We've actually had a very wet spring and our winter produced nearly 10' of snow this year. Most would say our chance of fires this year hovers around zero percent. If it dries up and we have 2-3 weeks of 80's and 90's with lots of sun, all that stuff that has or will grow is going up in flames. On the flip side, we've had warm, dry winters with little snow and all the experts were telling us to get ready for an active fire season, then all it did was rain all summer.

It's a mixed bag. Nobody can predict it.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:32 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,190,882 times
There was a house fire about 1/8 mile from my house a few nights ago, in a heavily treed development that is on well water (no hydrants). Sadly, the house was lost. I have no idea how they kept it from spreading to the trees as the home was surrounded by trees. Pretty amazing that the fire department was able to control it. I guess maybe it helped that there was no wind that night.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:55 PM

5,393 posts, read 5,229,497 times
I wouldn't say BF has a high fire chance now due to the prior spring rains. BF needs 1 - 2 months of hot, dry weather for it to climb up in risk. That would mean little to no rain for the next month or only a few storms between now and the end of August for things to start to get dicey again.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I work for the Forest Service and I fire training behind me (Red Card). I'm not claiming to be an expert, by any means, but what I can say is take all of the predictions about fire season in any given year and throw them in the trash. We've actually had a very wet spring and our winter produced nearly 10' of snow this year. Most would say our chance of fires this year hovers around zero percent. If it dries up and we have 2-3 weeks of 80's and 90's with lots of sun, all that stuff that has or will grow is going up in flames. On the flip side, we've had warm, dry winters with little snow and all the experts were telling us to get ready for an active fire season, then all it did was rain all summer.

It's a mixed bag. Nobody can predict it.
Well, here we are at 3-4 weeks of little to no rain and hot, dry weather, with more in the forecast. IMO, the risk has moved quite a bit higher now than it was at the beginning of this thread. The "good" thing about Black Forest now is that the middle has burned out already, meaning there's not much room for another fire to spread across the entirety of it. It's kind of a doughnut shape, making it much easier to contain.

The mountains are a different story. Who knows what will happen, but it's pretty dry up in certain parts of them. The snow cover helped, but for many areas outside of the wetter spots, that advantage has evaporated.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:49 PM

6,834 posts, read 10,614,002 times
The Monsoons haven't set up yet - maybe in a few weeks. Right now the rain is sporadic and hit or miss. Everything up Ute Pass got a good soaker today.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
The Monsoons haven't set up yet - maybe in a few weeks. Right now the rain is sporadic and hit or miss. Everything up Ute Pass got a good soaker today.
That's how it was when the BF and waldo canyon fire hit. 1 or 2 weeks later, the rains came hard. It's just that the ****** of an arsonist happened to light them before the rains could come to rescue.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:52 PM

26,336 posts, read 49,340,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
.... It's just that the ****** of an arsonist happened to light them before the rains could come to rescue.
The latest story I heard of the investigations of how the BF fire got started is this: There was a home near the start point of the fire that was being rehabbed by flippers. To save money on dumpster costs they were burning a lot of junk in the home's fireplace, which they overloaded with combustibles that gave off a shower of sparks which ignited the fire. That's the story as I know it to-date.

Early on after the fire there was word from then-Sheriff Maketa that they were focusing on a suspect but I never heard any word after that.

It was a very hot, dry and windy day which made that fire one big blow torch.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
View detailed profiles of: