Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 04:59 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times

Advertisements

Marriott-branded hotel planned for downtown Colorado Springs

Marriott-branded hotel planned for downtown Colorado Springs | Colorado Springs Gazette, News

"The project, proposed for the southwest corner of Tejon and Costilla streets, would be the first Marriott property in downtown. It would include 120 rooms under Marriott's SpringHill Suites brand that caters to business and leisure travelers, and 110 rooms as part of Marriott's new Element flag, which targets extended stay travelers."

I'm not too keen on the financial incentives required but I guess that is how the game is played. However, I do think that the city benefits from turning a blighted area into an active business district.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 04:13 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Default Update, June 2019

https://gazette.com/business/new-mar...8f82e680e.html

New Marriott hotel breaks ground on downtown Colorado Springs' south side

"Downtown Colorado Springs’ south side, already buzzing with new restaurants, bars, apartments and a planned multi-purpose outdoor stadium, is getting another big boost.

A ceremonial groundbreaking — pushed inside because of chancy weather — took place Monday for an eight-story, 259-room Marriott hotel to be built in the 400 block of South Tejon Street, southwest of Tejon and Costilla streets. The $75 million hotel, to open in spring 2021, will carry Marriott’s SpringHill Suites and Element brands.

The hotel’s several hundred guests a day will pump money into area stores and restaurants, project backers say. The hotel also will generate hundreds of new jobs and cater to growing numbers of tourists, some attracted by next year’s opening of the downtown U.S. Olympic Museum a few blocks away.

“It’s very significant,” Mayor John Suthers, one of several speakers at Monday’s event, said of Marriott’s downtown presence. “The number of tourists that we’ll be bringing to this town, when you add the Olympic Museum to the portfolio of places to go and things to do, I think tourism’s going to take a huge leap in the next couple of years.”

Jim DiBiase, a director with Olive Real Estate Group in Colorado Springs and part of the hotel’s development group, called the project a “cornerstone” to redevelopment in south and southwest downtown. His partners are Kevin Engelhardt of Hotel Operation Services in Monument and Springs general contractor Vince Colarelli. Hotel Equities, an Atlanta-based management company, also is a partner and will operate the property.

“On any given day, there will be 400 to 500 people staying at this hotel,” DiBiase said. “They’ll be eating out at our neighborhood restaurants, shopping in our neighborhood shops.”

The hotel will have 134 SpringHill Suites and 125 Element rooms, an extended-stay product that project backers expect will be especially attractive to business people and tourists. Element guests stay for a little more than five days on average, DiBiase said.

“That’s a person that’s coming in, probably a business traveler or a family, and spending significant dollars downtown,” he said of Element guests.

Other hotel amenities include a 216-space underground parking garage; 4,200 square feet of eighth-floor meeting space; an indoor pool and fitness center; a street-level, indoor-outdoor restaurant; an outdoor courtyard; and a rooftop restaurant and outdoor bar.

Hotel Equities will employ about 175 full-time people and 60 to 75 part-time workers, DiBiase said. More than 300 construction jobs and 200 spin-off jobs will be created as a result of the building activity, he said."

Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
I would much rather see incentives go to organizations creating infill within the city center or revitalizing the central Academy Blvd corridor than going to subsidize chains opening on the far north side.

more info here:
https://www.csura.org/tejon-and-cost...ewal-plan.html

Old 06-18-2019, 01:08 PM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times
If we want Colorado Springs to be less town, and more city, this is probably a good thing.
Make downtown look like a downtown.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:39 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
If we want Colorado Springs to be less town, and more city, this is probably a good thing.
Make downtown look like a downtown.
Yea I agree our downtown is pretty small and we need a better skyline.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:24 AM

1,013 posts, read 978,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yea I agree our downtown is pretty small and we need a better skyline.
Totally agree. Although this hotel won’t do much for skyline. We need a few nice looking high rise buildings.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:41 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Many of our flagship skyscrapers look fairly dated we need some modern office towers!

Last edited by BornintheSprings; 06-20-2019 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
My fave is some mid-rise residential towers so people can live downtown rather than drive in from Sprawl Acres. I've done high-rise living before, it can be very convenient, and I'd do it again if what got built had excellent sound proofing, fire safety and a few amenities like a rooftop deck to enjoy sunsets over Pikes Peak, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:19 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
I wish this city had left more historical buildings downtown rather than tearing them down and replacing with the uninspired office buildings there now. But I'm glad they left some to admire. I still think it is funny how media here gets excited about chain hotels and restaurants. Perhaps more incentives to hometown, local businesses to add some character.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My fave is some mid-rise residential towers so people can live downtown rather than drive in from Sprawl Acres. I've done high-rise living before, it can be very convenient, and I'd do it again if what got built had excellent sound proofing, fire safety and a few amenities like a rooftop deck to enjoy sunsets over Pikes Peak, etc.
I agree with this. A few years ago there were plans for a mid-rise 22 story residential tower that would have been a new tallest by a just a few feet. It's too bad the plan was scrapped. I don't think the city needs a tall skyline, but it could stand to make downtown more vibrant. There's already a lot of potential and a lot to work with, but there have been a lot of mistakes along the way.

I love the plans for the Olympic Museum and the stadium. I think these are things that are going to really bring additional street level vibrancy to this part of town. If a few towers pop up, great, but towers themselves don't make a downtown a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs