Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:34 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,530,226 times

Advertisements

Walk the shops in Old Colorado City along Colorado Boulevard

Go to the Ivywild school (now it has various businesses like a bar etc. inside) - and catch a performance at the Milibo theater if they have one - or the Lincoln School - (same idea but newer)

If you're here on Saturday you can go to a Farmer's Market - 2017 Colorado Springs Farmers Market Schedule

The Flea Market down off Platte (just on the weekend) can be interesting - would let you see a different aspect of the city from what you'd see in a lot of other places

Go to Manitou Springs and walk to all the springs, shops, and penny arcade. Get some of the famous Patsy's taffy. Stick around at night for a show at the Iron Springs Chateau.

Check out the Fine Arts Museum and the Pioneer Museum in the downtown area. Go get a drink or meal at Shuga's, Jack Quinn's, and Phantom Canyon all downtown. Get some of the amazing ice cream at Josh & John's. Check out Poor Richard's - food, toys, drinks, more.

Catch a movie at the First Main area - Cinemark 16 or at Kimball's downtown.

A lot of community stuff is outdoors here so I'd consider going to Garden of the Gods and Palmer Park and milling about.

You could also check out one of the churches if that interests you and you'd be on Sunday - there are more non-church-goers here than church goers, but there is a pretty strong church community nonetheless - from beautiful historic ones downtown to the mega-church vibe like New Life on the north east part of town to tiny storefront things - or go way out east to a Cowboy church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,862,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie213 View Post
Finally got time off from work. I have 3 days to visit all of Colorado springs. I would like visit local shops, restaurants, anywhere where there is a lot of people* to talk to. I would like to make the best of my trip, any recommendations on what to see or do? I already know the outdoors are great but I'm more interested in the community environment. I have a list of neighborhoods I want to visit but all I can do is drive through, does anyone have a better idea on how to go about getting a better feel for the area
Do you want to "go about getting a better feel" because you're considering a move here?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 PM

16 posts, read 12,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Do you want to "go about getting a better feel" because you're considering a move here?

Yes, my family and I are planning a move to COS.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:24 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,396,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post

Charlie213 is the original poster in the moving from Los Angeles thread further down in the Cos forum.

Otowi has some good suggestions for a general overview of the COS and Pikes Peak area. Depending on the neighborhoods you are targeting, specific things to look at/do and people to talk to can be somewhat varied and actually a bit difficult to achieve. COS has a very mobile population and it is rare to find someone who works in a retail space that also lives near by that area. A cross town commute of 20 minutes means you can live and work in two entirely separate economically influenced areas. However, nearly any place you go you can probably find someone willing to share their relocation story with you.

Just as a point of reference the Los Angeles metropolitan area covers 4895 sq miles and is the most populous county in CA with 13 million. By contrast, Colo Spgs covers 195 sq miles and El Paso County is the most populous county in CO at 700k. You are looking at a considerable downsizing in population and area compared to what you are familiar with. The entire Denver metro area is smaller than just the city and county of Los Angeles, never mind the metro area.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 AM

11,118 posts, read 7,180,697 times
Quote:
I would like visit local shops, restaurants, anywhere where there is a lot of people* to talk to
Good luck with that. The culture of CO is not like CA. CO is more "keep-to-oneself", whereas CA is more open, overt, and talky. Yes, people will respond here (especially those from elsewhere), but many others talk and chat more out of obligation than desire. Some even cringe inside themselves at having to give in to conversation with "strangers". It might seem strange, but that's just part of the regional culture.

So, you may have conflicting goals. If you want conversation, you'd go to the most touristy spots. If you want more local information and education - along the lines of residents and living in COS - you'd have to go somewhere else. I'm not sure where that would be, but others might good ideas. Keep in mind also that there is (still) often a stigma against people from other states/areas, and CA is one of the more disliked states to many. It's changing slowly over time, but keep that in mind.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-04-2017 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 12,750 times
I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, I won't say I'm from California. Should I avoid wearing skinny jeans and vans? I want to visit big acre lot properties. Which are the best to raise a family in? I want to try and grow my own crops and have a few animals but not live that far away from shopping and schools. What areas border city and well water facilities?

Old 10-04-2017, 11:29 AM

26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
I've merged the OP's original thread into this new one on what to visit as the first thread gives a lot of info on what he seeks. IMO he's going to have a hard time growing crops with the short growing season, lack of rainfall, and Colorado's strict water laws. There are rather few opportunities for water sports too.

Colorado just isn't ideal for the lifestyle being sought, a move to east of the Mississippi River or north to the PNW will support his wishes much better for a growing season, rainfall, water and motor sports. If Colorado Springs is a certain move it means then the wish list will have to be pared down accordingly or notably constrained by the regional realities.

No one really stands out like a sore thumb in COLO SPGS, all the things being sought are here, but in moderation from other climates.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:43 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,530,226 times
Quote:
I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, I won't say I'm from California. Should I avoid wearing skinny jeans and vans? I want to visit big acre lot properties. Which are the best to raise a family in? I want to try and grow my own crops and have a few animals but not live that far away from shopping and schools. What areas border city and well water facilities?
You can wear skinny jeans and vans, no one cares. Some days the weather may not be ideal for that, though. Big acreage is going to put you outside the city and cost a lot. Look around Falcon or Peyton, perhaps Hanover or Fountain. People do grow things here, but it is much harder than California - the growing season is shorter and tougher here. You need to start thinking of an arid climate here and one with very different winters from LA too.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:34 PM

830 posts, read 745,187 times
Quote:
Lol. No one cares what you wear, as long as you're clothed.

And it sounds like maybe you'll want to be in Peyton or somewhere further away....

Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,862,585 times
Quote:
You can say you're from CA - it won't bother me, and contrary to another poster, it won't bother a lot of other people either.

If I see anyone in skinny jeans, all I think are "I wish I could fit into skinny jeans".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs