Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 PM

16 posts, read 12,742 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm thinking of moving to Colorado from Los Angeles. I'm into extreme sports. I go off roading in my truck, dirt bike, and quads. In the summer we have fun with the waverunners. Winter.time we hit the slopes but driving 4+ hours is getting old. I do some bmx when I'm not sore from everything else. I work on all my vehicles at my house witch means I'm usually under the hood or wrenching on something. I sometimes make a lot of noise testing out motors on each toy. When I'm relaxing I enjoy practicing my electric guitar in my garage at loud volume and no it doesnt sound like Hendrix but one day ill get there. I have two kids 6 and 1 and have five dogs that are constantly barking. Wife can't see a stray because she brings it home. Sorry,* I'm not clean cut and always have oil under my finger nails. I don't try to appear like someone I'm not.* On my street the neighbors and I have maintained it from being a drug infested hot spot but I'm ready for a change. I want to spend more time with my family and less on other stuff I don't have control over. My neigborhood consist of 70% Spanish, Asian, armenian, and white people in that order. We all communicate and help each other out. My car has been stolen, family members have been robbed, and shootings happen frequently yet it's safer than other neigborhoods. We are looking for a house that is not too close to one another, has safe schools, and has markets for everyday necessities. I was looking at Colorado Springs but I would like some input from the locals. Our budget is 400K. I work in the HVAC industry. Thank you for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 07:46 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Your budget would get you pretty far in that area especially if you're not looking at brand new - I'd suggest looking at older builds rather than new for more land between homes. I'd advise you to toward a place with some land due to your interest making noise and wanting space between houses, etc. Peyton, for example, or perhaps Divide if you want the mountains. You might also like a place like Canon City or Grand Junction or Pueblo where your money will go quite a bit farther, too. Ski slopes should take less than 4 hours in most cases but it won't be right out your back door in Colorado Springs, either. Waverunners - as a Coloradan I'd say, 'What's that?" We don't have a lot of water recreation here, be prepared. It does exist, but nothing like what people find in coastal areas or Great Lakes, etc. There are some rules around here about number of dogs you can have if not breeding - I think the max is 3 or 4 but not exactly sure on where that does and doesn't apply. HVAC is a decent industry and pays fairly well especially union but there are still a lot of Coloradans who do not have AC - one the one hand that is potential growth, on the other it is at the moment a smaller market.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Pueblo is very affordable with abundant MJ outlets. Pueblo West for large lots and closeness to mountains. Canon City is close to the Arkansas River.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:52 PM

16 posts, read 12,742 times
Thanks guys. I'll be visiting colorado soon and I want to look at the right spots and not waste time. Are the lakes in colorado accessible to use for my water toys? The wife already told me she needs to have a Costco, whole foods, target, natural gas, no septic system, and heating. We don't use heating in LA so how do you guys keep warm during the winter months?

Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Darned few spots in COLO for water sports, though Pueblo Reservoir is a major attraction and way west of there is Blue Mesa Reservoir. Up in the mountains there's Grand Lake and Lake Granby and a few other scattered lakes.

I know that COLO SPGS has two Costcos, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Targets, and natural gas in the city proper along with city water, sewerage and electricity. City ordnances may clash with 5 dogs as there may be limits.

Propane in the outer areas can be expensive. You may have to make tradeoffs on you wish list.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:54 PM

834 posts, read 743,747 times
Sounds like you'll fit in.

We keep warm with a furnace. Older homes often have wood burning fireplaces, newer may have gas, many may have none.

I think we're down to one Whole Foods that is in Briargate.

Perhaps an older home on a large lot there, without an HOA would be a good fit for you.

But really, anywhere in the city that you find a house you like should be fine. It doesn't take long to drive around, so you probably won't have to waste that much time.

I think you may have to sacrifice a bit on the water sports.

I assume by Spanish you mean Mexican/South American....that will be the second payment largest demographic here. Some Asians & I've met like 1 Armenian ever....who looked like an average white person to me... probably won't find many unless you're looking. The military brings in a healthy amount of Africa Americans and non Colorado, "natives," too...so it's a culturally diverse in that way.

When we sold our house and needed a furnace inspection we had to call 5 companies before we found an opening in the month...HVAC technicians here appear to service both.... anyways, it seems to be in demand. The one who finally came out was from the most expensive company, but was telling me that he took a 40% pay cut (I didn't all specific numbers) from Denver to live here. I'm not sure if that would matter to you, but it won't hurt to check the numbers.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 PM

834 posts, read 743,747 times
Also, if the pet thing doesn't work....there are subdivisions outside of the city limits but still in El Paso County that aren't subject to the same rules. Claremont Ranch might be too close together for you, but for example they were subject to county firework laws, but not city. Fountain, Falcon, Security, etc. may have different rules regarding pets.

Our HOA had a 4 animal max. law, but some people had like 4 dogs...one lady had 8 cats, etc. I don't think it's highly enforced anywhere.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 PM

235 posts, read 355,257 times
"I sometimes make a lot of noise testing out motors on each toy ... I enjoy practicing my electric guitar in my garage at loud volume ... I have five dogs that are constantly barking."

Sorry but I sure wouldn't want you as a neighbor, and I advise you to to make sure you understand our ordinances when it comes to quiet. Somebody mentioned Teller County / Divide. People up here won't take kindly to that kind of noise.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:17 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Also, if the pet thing doesn't work....there are subdivisions outside of the city limits but still in El Paso County that aren't subject to the same rules. Claremont Ranch might be too close together for you, but for example they were subject to county firework laws, but not city. Fountain, Falcon, Security, etc. may have different rules regarding pets.

Our HOA had a 4 animal max. law, but some people had like 4 dogs...one lady had 8 cats, etc. I don't think it's highly enforced anywhere.
El Paso County has its own rules, with a 4 cat/dog max. Click here for rules around the Colorado Springs area - I don't think any place allows 5 except Monument. I am not sure what the laws are in Pueblo or Fremont counties:

https://www.hsppr.org/law/laws-ordinances

Old 08-31-2017, 07:17 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,165,344 times
Why would you rule out places on septic? Many of your desires point toward more rural areas, which will all be on well water and septic. Its nothing to be afraid of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs