Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 09:37 AM

44 posts, read 44,005 times

Advertisements

I will be in CO Springs at the very start of March. What is there to do in the area? I know that sounds crazy. I would imagine skiing or any other winter sport? Is hiking and sightseeing kind of off the radar due to snow? I welcome any and all ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,868,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD View Post
I will be in CO Springs at the very start of March. What is there to do in the area? I know that sounds crazy. I would imagine skiing or any other winter sport? Is hiking and sightseeing kind of off the radar due to snow? I welcome any and all ideas. Thanks!
Ski areas will involving driving. You don't mention how long you'll be here so skiing may not be an option if you're only here for a few days. I don't ski, so I'll let someone else who does chime in.

Hiking here is easy to do year-round (for the most part). We don't have any snow currently (at least in the lower elevations), but March and April are when we have some of our biggest snowstorms, so if you do plan on hiking, be prepared.

Plenty of things to see and do that are accessible year-round. Lots of good info here: https://www.visitcos.com/

If you tell us what your interests are and how long you'll be here, you'll get more tailored suggestions.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM

930 posts, read 1,657,442 times
Snow here in the Springs is not what you'd find in the mountains- snow does not stick around and pile up here, it melts fairly quickly. You may have snow here if you have a snowstorm just before or during your visit.

Winter sports like you imply will, like mtgigi says, entail at least a two hour drive to a ski area deeper in the mountains. CSprings is in the foothills- to the east are the great plains, and to the west are the mountains. Think of it like a gateway to the mountains.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,312,676 times
the railway to the top of Pikes peak for those of us who don't want to walk

Old 01-04-2018, 01:49 PM

6,829 posts, read 10,546,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
the railway to the top of Pikes peak for those of us who don't want to walk
I saw an article that it closed for the season for the first time in many years in order to make repairs. They say they will open in spring 2018 but I don't know any particulars about dates - might/might not work in the case.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,312,676 times
Dang it ! I wondered why I did not see it up there ...

Old 01-04-2018, 03:31 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,406,002 times
Early March is really variable. Can be sunny and 65* or blowing snow and 25*.

The link provided by mtngigi has a very extensive list of things you can put together to cover either eventuality. I'd encourage you to create a good weather/bad weather list just to cover both options. If you want more detail, then ask here and we can advise.

We also have a broad range of food and growing list of breweries and distilleries. We have a collection of small cafes that have been featured on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives if that is of interest as well as some mid range and high end dining options.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:52 PM

18 posts, read 17,438 times
Let's see, things my visitors have done while they're here:
-Garden of the Gods
-Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and driving up to the Will Rogers Shrine (the shrine is free but you must have purchased zoo admission in order to use the road)
-Driving up to the top of Pikes Peak (weather permitting, over Christmas some of my family got turned back because the highway was closed). If the cog railroad has reopened by March that is a lot of fun getting to the top of the peak, I much prefer the train to driving, personally.
-The Pioneer Museum (downtown)
-Bear Creek Nature Center and hiking the very easy trails there
-Visiting the Air Force Academy's chapel
-Checking out the breweries/downtown scene
-Walking around Manitou Springs (an artsy little town just to the west of COS)
-Hiking the Incline (also in Manitou, only for those that enjoy the torture of a nearly vertical climb, my husband enjoys challenging people to do it with him, but do not attempt it if you have any health conditions or trouble with altitude!)
-Walking around Old Colorado City (historic district, shops, etc)

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs