Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:37 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times

Advertisements

Do residents mind if pictures are taken of their decorated houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,938 times
To my knowledge, no... I haven't ever heard that it is an issue. As soon as the Gazette starts collecting the lists, one of us will post them for 2007.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-30-2007 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default Friday, 30 Nov, 8pm

Saw an item on the news last night. A youngster is doing up his parents home, to the max, 24,000 lights. He wants people to come by and donate funds to a charity he likes, Compassion International, that helps children all over the world living in poverty. There is a story and video on the local news station:
- KOAA.com - Teenager's light show attracts a big crowd (http://www.koaa.com/aaaa_more_local_news/x911469273 - broken link)

The house is in the Pine Creek area of N.E. COL SGPS, off Briargate Pkwy and Pine Manor Dr. Exact address in news story.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-06-2007 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Fixing link

Old 11-30-2007, 09:38 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Default NOTE: Last Minute Change to Parade Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The annual Festival of Lights Parade will be held Saturday, 01 Dec 2007. It starts 5:50 p.m., downtown, at Tejon and St. Vrain Sts, goes south on Tejon for 8 blocks to Vermijo Ave, then west on Vermijo one block to Cascade Ave then north on Cascade for four blocks to Kiowa St.
NOTE: City Council announced a last minute change to the parade route, which NOW will be as follows: The annual Festival of Lights Parade will be held Saturday, 01 Dec 2007. It starts 5:50 p.m., downtown, at Tejon and St. Vrain Sts, goes south on Tejon for 8 blocks to Vermijo Ave, and STOP at this point.

So, if you want to see the parade, you have to be on Tejon, between St Vrain and Vermijo.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM

45 posts, read 275,754 times
The 2007 holiday lights guide has now been published by the Gazette. You can view it online at http://www2.gazette.com/celebrate/ (broken link)

Happy viewing!

Kelly

Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Default My Christmas spirit was stolen

We put up about 3000 lights this year. We usually are around 5000, but with time constraints and our insecurity of the electrical stuff (we live in a 20 year old rented house), some things had to sit out this year. We typically add an additional 500-750 lights each year, plus I do after Christmas shopping to add to it... blowmolds, figures, signs, etc. The neighbors here didn't really have much up at first, but told us we "inspired" them and now several of our neighbors have put up lights.

My husband and I love Christmastime and really try to "do it up". We say it's for the kids, but...

So we've done this in California, Florida and New Mexico. We love it here in COS... we really like Briargate, but now? Right now, today? No frickin' way!

Our Christmas display is being stolen. Piece by piece. So far, it's only a couple things, but if one more thing goes missing, the whole thing's coming down!

I just had to vent. What kind of low down jacka$$ steals Christmas decorations?!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:18 AM

I am 90% sure you are probably dealing w/ some teenagers. That is just what they do when they are bored. It really stinks but what are you going to do? I am sorry to hear that you are having that problem. just stinks!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:07 PM

"That is just what they do when they are bored."

1) Not all teenagers commit crimes when they're bored.

2) This is occurring between 2am and 5am in the morning. If they're teens, they have very irresponsible parents.

The thefts have not occured for a few nights. I've had an opportunity to talk to several of my neighbors with teens.

I'm in agreement that it's kids. The point is they're not just kids... they're thieves. This wasn't a spur of the moment thing. It happened more than once and the first time they cut several tie downs to remove the inflatable. Unless these are teens who walk around with knives.

Teens who walk around in the middle of the night with knives in Briargate... comforting thought.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:02 PM

I am sorry if that came out the wrong way. I just know of some close friends of ours who had a teenage son 15 years ago. Great family, parents very involved. However their son was spending some time with a neighborhood kid that their family was trying to reach out to. Well, they ended up vandalizing some homes and taking some yard decorations, in Gleneagle. When the parents found out they were horrified and made them pay for it and then some. The kids were sneaking out of the their bedroom windows that were in the basement in the middle of the night.

I am sorry this is happening to you and I would being very upset too. I didn't mean to come off that I didn't think it is a big deal, because it is...

Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 AM

Yeah, sorry, that's a real sore point with me... people making excuses for crimes. "Frog in a boiling pot of water" syndrome.

I'm pretty much "over" what's happened so far. As long as it stops, that is. That's the rub. We're planning on buying a home next year, still in Briargate, but in a different neighborhood. Do I spend hundreds of dollars replacing what was taken and adding on? Or will I be throwing my money away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs