Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 03:06 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,859,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In re pets, keep in mind that for some pets you are legally required to have health certificates for them when you cross certain state lines. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...ate-pet-travel
How is this actually policed? Are there checkpoints at these "certain state lines"? People take road trips with their pets all over the place ... as far as I know, it's never been a problem to do so.

I just did a quick glance at the link. From what I read, it seems more to do with livestock transport for fairs and rodeos, etc. Will look at more closely out of curiosity, because I've never heard about these requirements.

Last edited by mtngigi; 07-13-2023 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Add text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 08:32 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
There are a number of furniture consignment stores that have opened around the city the last couple of years. Think of it like a nice Craiglist ad without the drive to a sketchy neighborhood and risk of being robbed. They are a great source for decent stuff at half of regular price and they will negotiate if you are so inclined.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
No guarantees, but you may be able to rent base housing on Peterson Space Force Base. If their housing fill rate is low, then retirees can rent a unit. Pets would be welcome. Here is the housing office number 719-556-7946/4777. The Air Force Academy (719) 333-2247 and Fort Carson (719) 579-1606 are other options you could call.

If you have Tricare then you can be seen in some capacity on base... or at least use the pharmacy. I would assume the same at Fort Carson and the Air Force Academy too. Plus the commisaries, bx/px, gym, outdoor rec, etc.

Plus, there is a VA outpatient clinic in CS
Thank you for these numbers. I want to put my house on the market in October when the snowbirds arrive and I would like to get to Colorado by April or May. So much to do. I guess my biggest concern is making the actual drive there. My son would drive the U-Haul with me following. How to get the dogs & cats there is giving me anxiety plus I get sleepy behind the wheel.

I'm going to start going through my things to see what I can donate or sell.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:27 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I'm guessing that some snowbirds may be house hunting now, on-line, in advance of a later arrival. If you plan to use a realtor then my preference would be to engage one sooner than later.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:10 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
How is this actually policed? Are there checkpoints at these "certain state lines"? People take road trips with their pets all over the place ... as far as I know, it's never been a problem to do so.

I just did a quick glance at the link. From what I read, it seems more to do with livestock transport for fairs and rodeos, etc. Will look at more closely out of curiosity, because I've never heard about these requirements.
My pet LLama has only caused a few delays but only at the California - Arizona border

Old 07-14-2023, 12:25 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post

I am not aware of any checkpoints, but if you were stopped by a cop for some other violation, then they could take your pet. Not saying they would. But it also might depend on the pet. For example, I was traveling with a pet parrot.

The question is, does one want to take the chance?

The site in question has info about house pets, as well.

The fact that people are unaware of these requirements does not mean they aren't requirements, and my vet in Colorado said it was imperative to have appropriate documentation.

But, feel free to ignore my post and the law.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:37 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
I am not aware of any checkpoints, but if you were stopped by a cop for some other violation, then they could take your pet. Not saying they would. But it also might depend on the pet. For example, I was traveling with a pet parrot.

The fact that people are unaware of these requirements does not mean they aren't requirements, and my vet in Colorado said it was imperative to have appropriate documentation.

I would love to know how many times a person has been pulled over and asked to show certificates for the dog or cat with them. My guess is there's a better chance of General Palmer himself giving you a greeting at city limits.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:20 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
I know people who travel across many state lines frequently with their dogs, and none have ever mentioned having to show papers. Maybe crossing into Canada or Mexico, but not Kansas or Colorado.

OP, check out a website called bring fido. You will find listings of hotels/motels that accept pets. Note that it might be harder if your dogs are big. Since you are having concerns about traveling with your pets, maybe you could just google "how to travel with dogs and cats". I bet you'll find all sources of information.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:13 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I would love to know how many times a person has been pulled over and asked to show certificates for the dog or cat with them. My guess is there's a better chance of General Palmer himself giving you a greeting at city limits.
As I said, "feel free to ignore my post and the law".

Old 07-15-2023, 02:46 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,859,463 times
Quote:

Who said anything about ignoring laws (or posts)? You'll note that I actually followed and read the link you provided. That said, I still think the odds of running into a problem traveling with dogs and/or cats is slim to none. Livestock and horses are another thing entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs