Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 PM

43 posts, read 85,091 times

Advertisements

Great forum! I'm considering a potential job opportunity in Springs and would like some suggestions on neighborhoods/areas to possibly move to.

I've been to Springs and really liked it. But other than Manitou Springs and the Garden of the Gods area, both of which I really liked, I'm not familiar with the areas and neighborhoods.

So, I've got a wife, one kid in elementary school, one in middle school, and two dogs. Housing price is under $450k.

Here's what's important in a nutshell, but in no particular order:

Good public schools - kids are in private school now, so good public academic opportunities are very important.

Proximity to kid activities - kids play soccer, gymnastics, etc., so don't want to spend a lot of driving time getting them to their destinations. Also, like to have a neighborhood that has other kids for them to make friends with.

Commute time - The office location is downtown (around I25 and Hwy 24, I think). I know Springs isn't that big, but I would like to keep the commute to less than 30 min.

Neighborhoods - I really like the more rural areas such as Woodland Park, Monument, etc., but I think those areas might be too isolated for my wife, too long a drive time, and possibly have limited kid opportunities. Otherwise, I like big yards with space between the neighbors, mature trees/landscaping, scenic views, etc.

I'm planning a trip to Spring within the next few weeks and would like suggestions on areas to look at that might be suitable.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 04:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Neighborhoods - I really like the more rural areas such as Woodland Park, Monument, etc., but I think those areas might be too isolated for my wife, too long a drive time, and possibly have limited kid opportunities. Otherwise, I like big yards with space between the neighbors, mature trees/landscaping, scenic views, etc.
Bingo. There are a lot of good things about those places but, at least in Monument, there are many large lot homes (2.5 and 5 acres) which are great, pretty, rural....and miserable for your kids. Monument schools are very good (though, troubling, they did fail to pass additional school funding - again), there's no crime, and it is located in between jobs in Denver and Colorado Springs. There is more retail head its way too. Just be careful with kids on large lots. There is Jackson Creek in Monument, a more conventional neighborhood. One gem in Monument is the new YMCA.

With that, take a look at the northern Colorado Springs area 80920: Pine Creek, Ladera, Wolf Ranch, Flying Horse. Nice normal neighborhoods, lots of kids, good schools and you are still not that far from (potential) Denver jobs. Your price range is right on too. Now, these neighborhoods are newer (less mature trees) and many of the lots are California sized but it really is what you need for kids.

Not sure where you are moving from but most people don't complain about traffic in Colorado Springs. You would be going from north to south which is better than from west-east or east-west. Northern Springs to downtown wouldn't be bad as the COSMIX traffic project is completed.

You should work this too:

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/co/...11%2C1%2C2%2C3

Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 AM

224 posts, read 732,642 times
I'm in Stetson Hills (80923) (Ridgeview). I'm close to an Elementary, Middle, and a brand new High School. It's on the north east side of town and there are less trees, but I am on a quarter acre lot that backs up to a field and a view of Pikes Peak. The neighborhood is filled with kids. Lots of parks too. It's all in the middle of Powers blvd and all the easy access to shopping. Very close to the airforce bases and government contractors.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
There is a LOT to choose from in your price range. In addition to those areas already mentioned, my fave is Briargate.

Look in the INDEX for the Briargate and zip 80920 photo tour. This area has D20 schools (excellent), low crime, great access to everything you seek, and is very affordable. Use www.realtor.com to search homes in 80920.

I'm not a realtor, nor in the business in any way, but I always suggest that people work with a full-time realtor once they see what we local folks have to say on this board.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:54 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
Just about anything in the Springs will keep your commute to 30 minutes- one of the wonderful things about living here. You don't spend that much time on the road.
I agree with Mike on this one. You might also find some housing in the southwest part of town- Cheyenne Mountain School district too. Both are excellent school districts and you will find beautiful homes in your price range. Good luck and welcome!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,944 times
I live in the Old North End...beautiful homes, great location. Look for homes in 80907

Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM

43 posts, read 85,091 times
Default Back from my visit to COS

Had only a limited time to explore, but here's what I saw.

Downtown and along Nevada Ave.

Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs, and Cascade.

Parts of the Garden of the Gods area.

Along North 30th St and West Woodmen Drive.

Down Woodmen Drive to Powers Rd.

Up Cheyenne Rd and through parts of Broadmoor.

I really liked the character of OCC and Manitou Springs, but the houses may be too old for my wife's taste.

Some of the neighborhoods off of 30th and Woodmen weren't appealing to me in that the houses looked very cookie cutter with no real character. Is that the typical housing style for that area?

I really liked the Broadmoor area, but I suspect that will be out of my price range. That area is in a good school district, correct?

Didn't like the suburban sprawl out east.

I received a job offer, so need to make a decision relatively soon.

I'm intending to visit again soon, so opinions/suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Landy: There is a lot of cookie cutter (CC) here, and most anywhere else that has seen a fair amount of growth the last 20 years. You might be able to find something not too CC along Rockrimmon (west of I-25).

Still, you need to check out Pine Creek, Briargate, Flying Horse, Cordera and Wolf Ranch on the north end. For sure, some degree of CC, but lots up here to choose from. Plus the far north end has great schools, good shopping, two new hospitals, low crime, a newish YMCA in Briargate, and an easy commute to downtown as well as good road access to Powers or I-25.

Charles' advice was good in all those respects, especially about kids. He was up in the Monument / King's Deer area where houses were too far apart for the sake of the kids romping around with other kids. Many neighborhoods here in the areas mentioned have lots of kids, and schools in D20 are considered among the best in the area, along with D38 (Monument) and D12 (Broadmoor).

By all means, work with a realtor, who can zero is on what you're looking for. I'm not a realtor, nor am I in the business in any way. If you'd like the name of a good realtor, DM me and I'll send you her info.

Best of luck to you and thanks for giving us feedback on your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs