Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM

132 posts, read 350,946 times

Advertisements

These are things that I prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 10:57 PM

154 posts, read 431,931 times
Default super conservative and churches

Move to Texas! I think you will be happier there
Colorado is changing - for the better

Old 12-22-2008, 10:57 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
This topic has been addressed many, many, many times in this sub forum of Colorado. Please do a search so you can see the various thoughts on this subject. Go to the advanced search and use "conservative" as your search keyword and you will find 3+ pages where this topic has come up ad nauseum - er yeah, whatever.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 PM

154 posts, read 431,931 times
ahh...actually what I wanted to say.... stay in Houston!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Though we have many churches and are home to many religious organizations, the city is nowhere as religious or as conservative as Texas. In fact, the computer room in the public library, right across the street from Focus on the Family, was paid for by the Gay and Lesbian Fund, which is proudly stated on a plaque in the computer room. We've had people on this website say they were coming here because TX proved WAY TOO religious and conservative for them.

If religion and conservatism are KEY issues for you, the best and most honest advice I can render is that TX seems your cup of tea, or UT if you're Mormon.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM

132 posts, read 350,946 times
Default Conservative

I know no place is homogeneous be it liberal or conservative. It just seems like there is an abundance of churches in CS that get national attention.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
I know no place is homogeneous be it liberal or conservative. It just seems like there is an abundance of churches in CS that get national attention.
I think you refer to New Life Church, started by the now-disgraced "Rev Ted" and you also probably refer to Focus on the Family (FOTF), but that is not a church though it does get LOTS of national attention. James Dobson of FOTF is not a preacher (he's a child psychologist by trade) and was a pal of Rev Ted until Ted's outing. Dobson and FOTF quickly distanced himself from Ted after a three week miracle cure that was supposed to banish Ted's gayness.

Other than that, I'm not aware that any other churches here that make the national news.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 PM

121 posts, read 452,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
after a three week miracle cure that was supposed to banish Ted's gayness.
Hahaha - everytime I'm reminded I laugh.

Houston, as this state continues to get bluer and bluer we have fewer people who believe that statement is possible. I agree that Texas, Utah, and maybe Oklahoma are your best options for finding the most people who still do.

I think even FOTF and the leader Dobson would leave CS at this point if they hadn't used all that donated money to build a very lavish office building that probably wouldn't be very marketable right now.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love colo summers View Post
Hahaha - everytime I'm reminded I laugh.

Houston, as this state continues to get bluer and bluer we have fewer people who believe that statement is possible. I agree that Texas, Utah, and maybe Oklahoma are your best options for finding the most people who still do.

I think even FOTF and the leader Dobson would leave CS at this point if they hadn't used all that donated money to build a very lavish office building that probably wouldn't be very marketable right now.
That building is a stunner, all brick with lots of fine touches, a temple to the man's ego. He's been laying off people for years, donations are down, and he's not that popular here.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:27 PM

351 posts, read 649,527 times
Oh brother. I just love all the haters who try to wash over Colorado Springs' strong conversatism and church culture--things that I like, you like, and most people in the Springs like--and pretend that the only place you can be comfortable is Texas.

I hate to inform you people: but most Texas cities are actually quite Democratic--much more than Colorado Springs.

To answer your question: yes, Colorado Springs is a conservative place home to some of the largest evangelical organizations in the country--like Young Life, Focus on the Family, and the publishers of hte NIV translation of the Bible. The Catholic Bishop, Fr. Sheridan is also a pretty stellar leader. The congressional district in which Colorado Springs is the center has never elected a democrat--even in the recent years which has seen Colorado go blue.

Houston, by comparison, is a far more liberal place--except for it's southern and western suburbs. The same sort of vibe you get in Katy, the Woodlands, etc--except with a larger military presence--is what you'll find in Colorado Springs.

It's a great place--hope you enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs