Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:51 PM

71 posts, read 326,416 times

Advertisements

I will be moving out to COS June 1st and although my likely destination will be on the northern end of COS, there is somehting about Woodland Park that really intigues me. I have read the 6-7 threads regarding Woodland Park and I have Googled as much as I can...

...but I'd really like to hear about the overall experience of living there? I know the #1 thing people mention is the commute...but I work from home so I'm not too worried about that. My wife is in medical billing so she may have to commute to the Springs if that is where her job leads her...but travel time aside...who has lived there? Did you always finding yourself going into the Springs for shopping, movies and such? Is the town very "festive"...how is the holiday season? Does the town close down to watch the local high school football team on friday nights? (or is that just in Texas)

Also, I need a non Denominational Church that me, my wife, and 2 kids can call home...there looks to be 2 such churches in WP. My wife has also played keyboard/piano for our church here in AZ for the last 12 years or so.

Has anyone moved there and just couldn't stand it? For what reasons?

Has anyone just loved it to death there? For what reasons?

Also, do the rentals "move" very quickly? Are some people desperate to get renters in their vacant homes given the "isolated population" that lives there?

Thanks in advance!

PS. It's March 2nd and it was 90+ degrees here in Phoenix! Can't wait to get out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,123,802 times
Our highs reached 80 today...

Woodland Park is truly a well kept secret that has that romantic vision of Colorado. My principal lives in Woodland Park and commutes down to Fountain (the city) and loves it up there. If I was moving, I would move to Woodland Park. Homes vary widely and from what I understand, rentals sit slightly longer because military families aren't renting up in Woodland Park but in the Springs. Many, many commute up and down the pass, but it really isnt that bad except when you get stuck behind an accident and it stops traffic.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
We go down to the Springs once a week, mainly to bowl (league). Lately, we've been going to Breckenridge/Keystone every weekend to ski, so it's nice to be close to the great outdoors. The only thing WP lacks is restaurants (and a bowling alley!), so if you want to go to your favorite eatery, you'll be driving 20 minutes down to the Springs.

The wife and I like Woodland Park Community Church, we attend whenever we don't work on Sunday.

WP is usually 5-10 cooler than the Springs, so that's nice if you don't like warm weather. The weather has been perfect this last week.

We are renting in a duplex and he always has one or two units available. There are some nice rentals on cosprings.craigslist.org, so you should have no issues finding something. Also check out this site for rentals: Search Woodland Park, Colorado Springs, Cripple Creek CO Real Estate Listings For Sale

Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks EricHarris,

I have been to the website for WPCC...it looks like a nice church. How many people attend? My kids are 13 and 10...is there a good Youth Program? The church we go to now has about 2,000 weekly attenders over 6 services, but we'd actually prefer something smaller so we can get to know more people.

Eric,

Thanks for the link to rentals...I have seen a number of them on Craigslist but not with all the additional pictures....some really cute homes!!!!

All our life we have owned homes in "cookie cutter" subdivisions...it'll be nice to possibly get away from that.

How are the local schools? Our kids are really active in choir, National Junior Honor Society and such.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-18-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 AM

164 posts, read 792,341 times
Hey funbunch. I moved to Woodland Park from Kansas. I lived there for 3 years and recently relocated to Texas. You said the commute does not bother you so I will not comment on that. If you did a search you have likely read my comments on the commute anyway. I think there is no better place to live than Colorado. Not a day goes by that I do not think about it. To answer your questions:

Quote:
Did you always finding yourself going into the Springs for shopping, movies and such?
Yeah...you have no choice. There are not to many options in Woodland Park for entertainment or shopping. Its just something you get used to. I commuted to the Springs everday. It was easy for me to do my shopping and such either before or after I got off work. The only problem we ran into is all our friends lived over in Briargate. It is a 45 minute trip one way and not many of them wanted to drive that far. We ended up always meeting them in the Springs.

Quote:
Is the town very "festive"...how is the holiday season?
About the same as any other town I have lived in. They have a pretty cool 4th of July thing. As far as Thanksgiving and Christmas....nothing special. You do have a cool view of the fireworks off Pikes Peak on New Years Eve.

Quote:
Does the town close down to watch the local high school football team on friday nights?
The high school has a football team?

Quote:
Has anyone just loved it to death there? For what reasons?
I will always miss Colorado. I loved living in Woodland Park. For myself and my wife it was the commute coupled with the weather that caused us to move. With the crazy weather its not practical, especially with little kids, to commute to the Springs everyday.

I loved living in Woodland Park for many reasons. I like small towns. The mounatins are beautiful. I was close to the national forest for hunting and fishing. All artound it was an awsome place to live....except for the weather.

Quote:
PS. It's March 2nd and it was 90+ degrees here in Phoenix! Can't wait to get out!
Be careful what you wish for! In Woodland Park you have 2 solid months of winter left. In April you get some of the worst snow storms. On June 6th, 2007 we got 4 inches of snow at my house. That was the last straw for me. We moved the following December.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post

Be careful what you wish for! In Woodland Park you have 2 solid months of winter left. In April you get some of the worst snow storms. On June 6th, 2007 we got 4 inches of snow at my house. That was the last straw for me. We moved the following December.
Was that just at your house...or the whole town? LOL. J/K...

Yeah, snow on June 6th isn't what us "Arizonians" would know how to deal with...but I've always said, if it is cold outside, you can always put something warm on...but if it is 118 outside, there's nothing you can do to stay cool...except maybe stay indoors.

My pool gets to 102 degrees in the summer here! %$(&%$&%$!!!

You gave me some good insight into WP.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 28,142 times
Moved here in Jan. 1984. Commuted 20 miles to Hewlett Packard on Garden of the Gods Rd.. Missed one day of work in 18 years. Everyone's different about weather. My only complaint is the sometimes extended winter cold. Snow was never a real problem, except 2 winters ago, about 12 feet total for the season. This winter so far, I have not started the snow blower. I would recommend a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
Air conditioning not required.
One small duel movie house, several restaurants, not including the big fast food places, a new SuperWalmart, Safeway and City Market. A new hospital, emergency med. rm., fire department, ambulance service, golf course and several small odds and ends businesses.
Virtually no crime, save a few DUI's etc.

Our bowling alley is now a auto parts store.
A fine place to raise children, that's one of our reasons for moving here.
As I'm in my mid 60's, I don't think this is the place for older folks. The ice and snow and thin air isn't always the best for the elderly.
I'm sure I'll get many arguments about that. I was having breakfast with several men awhile back and one of them said this area is the finest place to live in the USA. A bold statement, I might add!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 PM

64 posts, read 288,685 times
Ah, very interresting. We are moving to the Springs area this month and just started focusing on the Woodland Park area. I am glad to have read all the information on this thread. I was pretty sure that Woodland Park was the perfect place for us to move and now I'm nearly certain. We're running an application for a property there in the next day or two so I've got my fingers crossed.

Other than the elevation it sounds a lot like my home town (I just left there 6 months ago). From what my family tells me they've had about 143" of snow so far and winter lasts through May.

I'm excited!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budongman View Post
Moved here in Jan. 1984. Commuted 20 miles to Hewlett Packard on Garden of the Gods Rd.. Missed one day of work in 18 years. Everyone's different about weather. My only complaint is the sometimes extended winter cold. Snow was never a real problem, except 2 winters ago, about 12 feet total for the season. This winter so far, I have not started the snow blower. I would recommend a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
Air conditioning not required.
One small duel movie house, several restaurants, not including the big fast food places, a new SuperWalmart, Safeway and City Market. A new hospital, emergency med. rm., fire department, ambulance service, golf course and several small odds and ends businesses.
Virtually no crime, save a few DUI's etc.
Our bowling alley is now a auto parts store.
A fine place to raise children, that's one of our reasons for moving here.
As I'm in my mid 60's, I don't think this is the place for older folks. The ice and snow and thin air isn't always the best for the elderly. I'm sure I'll get many arguments about that. I was having breakfast with several men awhile back and one of them said this area is the finest place to live in the USA. A bold statement, I might add!
Thats quite an endorsment! Do you get a commission if I move there? lol. I may have to agree with little city max on this...more and more I am thinking this is the place for me and my family...

Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 AM

164 posts, read 792,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budongman View Post
Moved here in Jan. 1984. Commuted 20 miles to Hewlett Packard on Garden of the Gods Rd.. Missed one day of work in 18 years. Everyone's different about weather. My only complaint is the sometimes extended winter cold. Snow was never a real problem, except 2 winters ago, about 12 feet total for the season.

I moved after the winter 2 years ago. Everyone told me that it was the worst winter in 20 years and I should stay. There were other reason we moved. We were rookies with a crappy real estate agent who let us get into a house in a bad location. If we would have lived in a better neighborhood we never would have left.

After being in Texas for a year and a half I regret leaving Woodland Park. My wife and I were actually considering moving back. In 2004 there were 30 to 40 houses for sale in the Divide/WP area for 200k to 260k that were really nice. I just did a search and comparable properties are now in the 300k to 350k range. I guess with the new hospital, hotel and convention center, Wal-mart and a potential Lowes the housing prices are going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs