Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:33 PM

8 posts, read 77,794 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I just bought an 86' Toyota 4x4 truck off of ebay in March, and I've already put a new engine and many other parts on it since then, but it still doesn't have A/C , and it would take at least $800 to get A/C put into it and I'll soon have $9,000 in it.

I've held off from having it done because I knew that I was coming out here to CO Springs shortly, like before August, here in the deep southeast where I'm at its intolerable as most people have it in their vehicles, but I've been hearing from a few of my friends that I would be wasting money by having A/C put into my truck because they know I'm about to leave...but then again they've never been to CO Springs either....so I don't know. The humidity is awful where I'm at, I've already seen days with the heat index being as high as 102 degrees and that's like 90% sticky icky humidity thrown in with it, I've been toughing it here without having it in my ride, but everyone has it in their homes here.

One of the reasons I'm moving out there is to get away from the hellacious deep south summer heat waves. Its hot here from around early May through early October, but June,July,August all normally have 100 degree days, I've even seen days in mid-Sept. with 100 degrees.I hope I don't have to put A/C in my truck when I get out there, at least hope I can wait until the summer of 2010 before putting it in my truck.My truck's heater works though- I know I'll have to have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:39 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,062,435 times
It really depends on you, but the sun is really powerful at this elevation, which can turn a car into an oven in minutes flat. I don't have air conditioning in my house, but I don't think I'd want to be without it in the car.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,961,836 times
Well, it is certainly not as hot or humid here as it is in my home state of Texas. It is usually hottest from late June to, oh, mid-August or so...not like Texas where summer starts in April and doesn't end until mid-October. With a low humidity factor, the heat here isn't so bad.

Could I live without A/C in the car? Probably. Do I want to?...no. If your car is sitting outside in the sun while you're at work all day, it can turn into, as was said before, an oven. The old, "But it's a dry heat", doesn't cut it for me. I like to turn that AC on and cool the car down quick. Once done, I admit, that I often turn it off and roll down the windows.

Another thing to consider, you will become aclimatized. If you're here long enough, the day will come when it's in the high 40's or low 50's in the morning and you scoff at the idea of wearing a jacket. When that happens, it's amazing at how hot that "dry heat" can feel.

But that's just me. Your experience may be different.

Last edited by Fullback32; 06-29-2009 at 03:59 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 03:53 PM

6,826 posts, read 10,542,009 times
In the months of May - September, give or take a month on either end depending on the weather that particular year, the car will get quite hot sitting outside on a hot day. Keeping windows down will help, but then it just might end up getting wet inside if you don't plan well around our changing weather. The rest of the year, you'd certainly be fine without it.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:56 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,991,856 times
I think it would be easier to live in a house without AC than a car. No, it's not humid but the sun is a killer and a car is a nice metal can, parked in the sun. I wouldn't buy a car without AC.

One thing that is helpful (even with AC) are the windshield shades. They cost $4 - $10.00 and range from cardboard to reflective material. They are placed across the windshield when your car is parked and they really help protect the dash from the sun and lower the heat build up inside your car.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM

64 posts, read 303,368 times
If you park in the shade you would be fine with just windows to roll down. Parking in the sun at noon time can warm a car up in no time.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:09 PM

15 posts, read 83,682 times
I would highly recommend getting AC for your truck. The sun here is intense and regardless of our wonderfully low humidity, you will cook in a car without AC. Unless you're planning to be up in the mountains a lot where it's cooler, then it shouldn't be as much of an issue. Good luck with your move--you are going to love the low humidity.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-19-2011 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM

76 posts, read 293,366 times
You can survive without AC in a house - most people don't have them here, though I would be one of the people that say you absolutely should, but that's just me. But, you'll definitely want AC in a vehicle, like the previous posters said, the sun is intense here and really heats up the inside of your car.

I suppose if you don't want to shell out the money right now you could just wait until you get here to decide if you want it!

Carrie

Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 PM

6,826 posts, read 10,542,009 times
Let's put it this way - a baby left in a shut car in summer in a parking lot has a good chance of dying if left very long.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,907,955 times
I never run my A/C when I am down in the Springs. Sunroof and windows open is plenty for me (tinted windows help too). Just get a shade for your windshield, park in the shade and crack the windows. I wouldn't dump anymore $ into a 23 year old truck, time to upgrade!

If you really hate heat (like me), move up to Woodland Park (17 miles west of Colorado Springs). At 8500', it never gets unbearable here. Nice cold sheats and having to use blankets in June without A/C rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs