Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,174 times

Advertisements

I would love to contact you, I am going up there this weekend with my fiance. I have never purchased raw land. The views are incredible, the price is great! We were looking for retirement as well. I live in Arvada and he doesn't like the city life. We have a couple of years to retire and wanted to build up there. I looked at the water company, how they "speculate" there is enough water, the cistern issues. etc.. I't is scary, but if I get the correct information, I'm already sold. Why are there so many vacant lots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathi pollock View Post
.... Why are there so many vacant lots?
That alone is telling you something, probably nothing good. I'd never buy in such a place, but then again I'm quite risk-aversive and I like it here in suburbia where I have a great view of the mountains and can drive up there in an hour if so inclined.

IMO save your money until retirement and then buy an existing home that has all the utilities in place, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM

914 posts, read 2,205,336 times
Cripple Creek Mountain Estates is kinda sorta in my neighborhood. For the most part, what you see is what you get: two acre lots, dirt roads, remote, community water system (for good or evil), an HOA, fairly low prices.

This is NOT a place to commute to the Springs, although I am sure there are some who do it. Read up on all the posts on commuting from Woodland Park - done? OK, it is 45 minutes from almost anywhere in CCME to Woodland Park in good conditions. For commuting to a job, Canon City is slightly closer than the Springs.

CCME is up pretty high. Much of it is at 9500 ft. and more, which can cause issues for week-enders even from the Springs. Weather there is often more extreme even compared to the northern part of the county.

The lots are priced pretty much with similar lots in other subdivisions in the area. Real estate like this cannot be considered an investment - it is more like buying a boat or rv. There are people who have bought lots and just use them as there own personal picnic site - nothing wrong with that as long as you realize you have bought a consumption item, not an investment. At this point, most lots are owned by people who do not need to sell. If you buy a lot and find you do need to cash out it can take considerable time (years is not uncommon) unless you are willing to take a major loss. Development of these lots is simply an exercise in personal vanity - there is no possible way to build a house in CCME and sell it for anything like what it cost. There are simply too many competing properties, have been for years, will be for years to come. Some lots, of course, are simply unbuildable. I saw one once that was a solid, two acre granite boulder.

There have been some terrific deals on developed properties, and may well be some at present. But understand what you are getting into - upgrading a distressed property will be very expensive and both workers and materials have to come from a significant distance. Just getting people to come and do the work at all can be a real problem.

When you go to sell, the same issues that made your purchase a "bargain" now are working against you. While there are people who live in CCME and work in Cripple Creek, or even Woodland Park, there is never at any time a large group of potential buyers who need to live in southern Teller county.

That said, I do believe that Teller County in general, represents a real opportunity for people who want a place to get away but do not have the seven figure bank account required by Aspen or Vail. There is no skiing here, but to some of us that is a plus. Nor is there any shopping or fine dining. But the weather is generally excellent year-round, the wildlife is everywhere, and outdoor activities abound.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times
Back in 1972, we were living in Littleton, and one day there was a flyer on our door about a place called Highland Lakes, up in Divide, in Teller County. We'd lived in CO for only 3 years as newlyweds hot from law school in CA, but thought, hmmmmm. Might be kind of cool to check it out. We called and made an appointment with a property developer's rep. We were put up in the "guest house" a Geodesic dome home and given the grand tour. Highland lakes had just been purchased (from the Shoemaker family we were told) and subdivided into 500 one acre lots. There were seven fishing lakes, plans for a community center, equestrian trails and a stable, and all sorts of amenities. Highland Lakes was on a dirt road, 7 miles NW of the intersection of Hwy 24 and Hwy 67 (no stop light then), and there were a couple of shops in a wood building where the parking lot of Highland Market is now. There was no water, no electricity, no phone, no nothing. For $7500 we bought a 1.7 ac lot and paid $800 for a tap into the community well water; no phone, and $1500 to IREA for electricity. We were the eighth house up there, and there were no neighbors, nothing. We were out in the wilderness boonies alone. Actually, very scary.

We started building in April of 1975 and had our housewarming in October 1975. Two years later, we finally got a party line by paying $1500 for a telephone pole and service. With teenagers, it was a mess as they hogged the line. It was 10 years later before we got a private line. Cable TV still hasn't made it up there, and Natural Gas only arrived eight years ago. We had all electric heating which the IREA loved us for, and an OTA antenna that was iffy at best. We had (and still do) dirt roads, and the dust in summer was suffocating. We have all sorts of wild animals; bear (nuisance), deer (by the tons), mountain lion, skunks, foxes (by the bazillions), blue heron, bald eagles, hummingbirds, elk, and more which is amazing to watch.

In 1975, there was nothing in Woodland Park. One part time doctor, a small Super Valu market, Drakes, Park State Bank, Brookharts, Donut Mill and Mother's Kitchen, and other mom and pop shops, but for everyday needs like clothes, shoes, household goods, we had to drive down the pass to COS. There was Gateway Elementary, Woodland Park Middle School and Woodland Park High School all on one campus. My husband had his own Law practice in Woodland Park, and at the time there were only two other attorneys, so because he was a real estate attorney, business was good. Our kids went to Woodland Park schools, so for us, it worked out, but for every success story, there are 50 stories of people who can't take the short summers, cold, snowy winters, isolation, distance from kid's friends, distance from school activities, Scouts, Church, and other things that city kids take for granted. Shopping for clothes is limited to the Cowhand or Wal-Mart. Groceries are either Safeway or City Market. There is a small two theater move theater. There used to be a bowling alley. Woodland Park and Divide have come a long way in 40 years ~~schools are better, shopping is better, but much else is still the same.

The point of this is that to buy vacant land in a rural area takes a certain breed of person. Highland Lakes is now a bustling community with lots of goings on socially, lots of clubs, children's parties, annual picnics, annual fishing derbies, Halloween hay rides, Santa and the Easter Bunny at community holiday celebrations at Golden Bell, and more. There are almost 400 homes compared to 8 when we bought. There is natural gas, but no cable, satellite dishes, high speed internet, and most of your amenities can be found in Woodland Park.

My circumstances made it so I had to sell my house in Divide when my husband died, and move to our retirement condo in AZ, but I go back as often as is possible, and I still own 5 acres with an unobstructed view of Pikes Peak adjacent to our old house (which the buyers destroyed). But, if I could, I would move back there in a heart beat 9200 ft. and all. I hope the OP can afford what it takes to buy and build a dream, because in our case, it was the best experience ever. All four of our kids were born and raised there, and even though they're not in CO anymore, each of them is living the rural life, away from it all, amidst nature in their adopted States. I wish the OP the building of dreams amongst a a chorus of "Oh, noooooooooooooooooooo!!" Sometimes you just have to make the jump, and in our case, I'm glad we made that collective leap.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 08-01-2014 at 02:08 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggle77 View Post
Thank you for your responses... By the time I actually move there, I will be retired... So I will not need to worry about working... However, my husband will still have a couple of more years working and would commute to CS.
Well, there's your answer, it's over an hour drive to The Springs in good weather and it's through the mountain which means in winter, you will probably get a lot of snow days when the roads aren't cleared. With that kind of inconvenience, it's not surprising it's not exactly prime real estate. Remember, "location, location, location."

Old 10-19-2014, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 10,079 times
Hi all - first time to this blog - I am dismayed as well to hear that water tap fees are so high in CCME. To be honest, all discussion of water scarcity has been a revelation. (The state owns even the water that falls from the sky onto your property - you can't collect it with, for example, a cistern type system without permission?-I read that somewhere)....
I have picked a lot in CCME, haven't paid anything yet. Glad I ran into your blog, since the water tap fees are not paid. It is a beautiful area though so once I find out that water tap fees really are 8000+ I will go back to square 1 and start combing through the lot details for Fee Paid lots again. I am coming out there from VA in a couple of weeks to finish up the process (arrive 2 November). If you would care to send me any information, including more inside information (thank you!) and/or any info on land for sale, I will be most grateful - contact info below.

thanks, Fred ---Fred Wilson [email]zfredzpw@gmail.com[/email]

Old 10-19-2014, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 10,079 times
Kathy - there could be a thousand reasons why there are so many lots for sale. I have talked to a couple of owners and they were older, maybe have a home in the area or somewhere else. If they are not planning to build in CCME for whatever reason (for some folks I imagine that one visit in the winter might change their minds!) or they run into financial issues, or they get older before they get it done. And finally they get tired of paying taxes, HOA, and any other fees on land they won't be using. I imagine that some people bought theirs thinking that because of gambling etc that they could make money with rising land values, and we all know where land value went. So all could have a different reason for selling. They could be like me and looking online after living mostly in the south and east, "this land in CCME is so inexpensive! I think I will get 2 lots...etc".
Having said all that Kathy - all this is an opportunity for me and for you and your finance. These prices are great, the views are unbelievable (I've only seen pics but WOW!)... When you all look, ask how hard it will be to get a driveway to the building site, ask water fees, (electric hookup too I guess). Also - why do some lots have access to Natural Gas, some don't? Thats a big plus otherwise its all electric heating... You will be fine and I can't wait to hear what you find out - save me a lot please - tomorrow I have to face the Washington beltway again....Cheers!

Old 10-20-2014, 06:41 PM

54 posts, read 74,391 times
My personal rule of thumb, if I am to pay more than $100 for anything, I want a test drive.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:08 PM

481 posts, read 1,300,559 times
CCME lots, like any other in Colorado, are cheap for a reason. Tap fees are one reason. The fact that the entire subdivision was carved out of mountain valleys is another.

The subdivision is very hilly and if you plan to build, tap fees are the least of your concerns. One-plus acre lots that sit on the side of a mountain are either nearly impossible to build on or are so expensive to build on that it just isn't worth it. The prime lots with decent building sites already have homes on them. The rest are vacant because it's not feasible to build on them.

I have several friends that live in CCME. None have a house bigger than 1,000 square feet and all of them have atrocious driveways/access to their homes. Granted, they love it there, but it's a minimalistic lifestyle. Oh, and the constant fear of a forest fire (including almost yearly evacuations because of which) makes me hesitant to ever recommend buying property there.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,557 times
My parents live in CCME, they have lived there for over 20 years. They love it and it is a beautiful community if you like a remote mountain setting. The elevation is high, summers are short, winters are cold. My father is a retired teacher and now a writer/photographer and my mother is a painter; they are in their 70’s. They like solitude and privacy; they are very self reliant, and very healthy which is important because you are far from medical care. They are not social butterflies and enjoy hiking, fishing, solitude so it has been a good fit for them.

Their home is about 2500 SF and did not cost a fortune to build. They sit on a high ridge and their lot is just under 2 acres. The lot has a slope, enough to give them a walkout basement but not enough to affect driveway or access; the views are amazing. There is a lot of wildlife on a regular basis; there are bear, deer, elk, mountain lion, big horn sheep and mountain goats to name a few.

On their "cul de sac" there is only one other house built, the remainder of the lots although very buildable are vacant forest. One is for sale. From their deck they only see three other homes, none of them close. The community has a clubhouse that hosts a few social gatherings, there is a rec center with a nice indoor pool, sauna, a workout room, outdoor tennis courts and there is also a community library.

Fire danger is a concern anywhere in the mountains or even the front range of Colorado along wildland interface areas (many Colorado Springs neighborhoods fall into this category). It would behoove you to educate yourself on fire danger mitigation. That being said, there have not been “almost yearly evacuations” in that area. In fact that community has never had a mandatory evacuation and the last time they were under pre-evacuation was during the Hayman Fire in 2002.

This does not mean that the potential for a forest fire is not there, and the risk should be seriously considered in any such setting, but people are also not fleeing their homes on a yearly basis.

The community has natural gas, phone, and water is provided through community wells. There are some older homes that were built before natural gas reached this area and those either have propane or electric heat. There is a homeowners association with dues and covenants including building/use restrictions, minimum house size (1200 SF above grade is the smallest allowed), architectural requirements, no camping on lots etc. Property taxes are low. You can call the water company to get a more accurate figure on water tap fees, Mountain Mutual Water Company

You need to be sure that this is a lifestyle that you truly want and are able to live. If you are going to buy in this area, plan to live there long term because it is not an investment. It is a bit too remote and lacking in amenities for many people so that reduces your pool of potential buyers should you want or need to sell quickly. The CCME property owner's association website might have some useful information: Home. They also list lots for sale.

Good luck with your purchase and I would recommend visiting the area first.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 10-21-2014 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs