Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,473,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Wut?

So, Pueblo County and two others are 1,000,000?

Let's have a factual count here again.

Pueblo - 108k.

Pueblo County - 160k.

Pueblo County and Fremont county and Custer County thrown in for fun... and Huerfano and Las Animas just for Ss and Gs... 210k.

El Paso County? Who cares? Because they have NOTHING TO DO WITH US DOWN HERE!
Actually a study done by the fair shows most people who come outside of Pueblo county come from El Paso county and it's what a 30-45 minute drive? About the same as it is from Highlands Ranch to the stock show in Denver. I mean think about it the Springs really has no event that compares to the state fair not even their county fair. So it is important and as Pueblo, Fremont, and El Paso counties grow so will the fair.

Last edited by Josseppie; 09-09-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM

572 posts, read 552,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
You made my point about it being a off season issue. So at this point let's sit back and see what the fair manager will do to increase off season revenue.

As far as local money. It was detailed how much we give and it's more then $300,000 but I would support giving more. Also, I joined the state fair foundation to put my money where my mouth is about supporting the fair. As the foundation grows it will contribute more money as well.
no, i didn't make your point.

you cannot judge a business or program by peak season profitability (which is basically break even, and not profitable in a macro perspective, from my understanding) -- the program needs long term sustainability -- that means attracting year round events and bookings - basically the venue needs somewhere on the order of $10K daily

Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
no, i didn't make your point.

you cannot judge a business or program by peak season profitability (which is basically break even, and not profitable in a macro perspective, from my understanding) -- the program needs long term sustainability -- that means attracting year round events and bookings - basically the venue needs somewhere on the order of $10K daily
It's not a business it's a fair and educational facilty for the 4H and FFA complete with dorms. Additionally the stock show has the same issues in Denver why they needed the state money to upgrade the complex as they could not do it on their own.

Now I agree they need to increase offseason business but how much I'm not sure. It will be interesting to see what the new manager and fair board come up with in the next year.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 AM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
....- basically the venue needs somewhere on the order of $10K daily
I got it. The Colorado State Weed Exchange and Grower's Market. No one-ounce limits. Smoke on-site in The Black Light Lounge or The Lava Lamp Disco. It'll make a fortune! Imagine the munchie sales!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I got it. The Colorado State Weed Exchange and Grower's Market. No one-ounce limits. Smoke on-site in The Black Light Lounge or The Lava Lamp Disco. It'll make a fortune! Imagine the munchie sales!
I know you said that in jest but why not a large weed festival every year? It could be rented out complete with bands for that type of crowd. Essentially a mini Woodstock every year on 4/20? I would support the idea.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
It's not a business it's a fair and educational facilty for the 4H and FFA complete with dorms. Additionally the stock show has the same issues in Denver why they needed the state money to upgrade the complex as they could not do it on their own.

Now I agree they need to increase offseason business but how much I'm not sure. It will be interesting to see what the new manager and fair board come up with in the next year.
OK, not a business, but a govt. "program" (as I had mentioned above) that also seems to be desired, by those at the state capitol, to be self sustaining... which has not been the case for the last 10+ years...

I hope they brought in someone in who understands the program impact that the "generally accepted accounting principles" have on their operation and how it is evaluated - instead of someone who talks of the "reality" while manipulating (disposing of expenses or adding to revenue streams) the profitability analysis to suit their needs...

BTW - the stock show needed the state contribution exactly because they didn't reinvest in the program and infrastructure over time - which is what the depreciation charge on your books is supposed to remind you of the necessity of...

which is why I have such a hard time with Wiseman's statements about the fair's "actual" profit and loss - after including the bail-out and excluding the depreciation charges from his analysis

Old 09-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
imagine if the neighboring states authorities agreed not to stop folks leaving our fine state;
for the week or so surrounding the event! PROFIT!

Old 09-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
OK, not a business, but a govt. "program" (as I had mentioned above) that also seems to be desired, by those at the state capitol, to be self sustaining... which has not been the case for the last 10+ years...
Not even a government "program" more of a educational institution with the same mission as any college to educate the youth but through 4h and FFA.

Quote:
I hope they brought in someone in who understands the program impact that the "generally accepted accounting principles" have on their operation and how it is evaluated - instead of someone who talks of the "reality" while manipulating (disposing of expenses or adding to revenue streams) the profitability analysis to suit their needs...
They just started the search and already have close to 80 applicants. It will be interesting to see who they get.

Quote:
BTW - the stock show needed the state contribution exactly because they didn't reinvest in the program and infrastructure over time - which is what the depreciation charge on your books is supposed to remind you of the necessity of...
Kind of the same place the fair finds itself in. I would like to see the state/ city/ fair sit down and come up with a plan to remodel the fair grounds as I think that would help them in the off season.

Quote:
which is why I have such a hard time with Wiseman's statements about the fair's "actual" profit and loss - after including the bail-out and excluding the depreciation charges from his analysis
Remember the numbers he quotes come from the independent auditing firm.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:07 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
imagine if the neighboring states authorities agreed not to stop folks leaving our fine state; for the week or so surrounding the event! PROFIT!
I'm talking all year long! Rent out the dorm rooms too, legalize the world's oldest profession in the city of Pueblo. Cancel the fair, let it go, convert it to gambling, sex, drugs and rock and roll. The sin capitol of I-25, they'll come from 500 miles away! Okay, for the "educational tax free" IRS 501-c-3 status we can offer sex ed classes and all manner of classes that go with it. We'll add lanes to I-25, double the airport, and a special Amtrak Train to bring in the Shriners! Can we spell BILLION$ boys and gurls!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-09-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 PM

977 posts, read 1,329,451 times
Quote:

The duplicity in this statement is implying that the state is coming in to fund the Stock Show upgrade. An implication that completely ignores that the Stock Show upgrade is being funded to the tune of $700M by the city. So, 60-70% of the upgrade funding is coming from local sources.

Meanwhile, in Pueblo, the State Fair has seen reduced local contributions and what seems like zero political will from the local rubes to pony up additional funding to see the Fair and it's economic benefits remain in Pueblo- let alone to expand it. This continued financial issues of the Fair and Nevling's rumblings about going after the Fair's subsidies unless a turn-around is implemented will hopefully garner some call to action at the local level in Pueblo. As soon as, or "if" to be pessimistic, Pueblo announces an effort to secure additional local funding, such as a local bonding initiative with state contributions, to upgrade the fairgrounds all of these relocation rumblings will cease. Should that not happen, this topic will come up year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado