Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I'm looking for some advice.

I decided to go to the DMV today to finally get a CO drivers license. Little did I know that there is up to a 30 day waiting period between the time you go in for a license and the time one is actually mailed to you. Most states issue you a permanent license on spot, but I guess Colorado DMVs haven't yet adopted that basic technology.

I need to travel by plane in about 9 days, but my drivers license was the only "official" identification I had. They punched a hole in my old license, but handed it back to me, along with some shoddy piece of paper that is supposed to serve as my temporary drivers license until I receive my permanent one in the mail.
All states do that, now. This is the first I've heard of them punching a hole in your old license and giving it back to you. Most states just take your old license, and give you nothing back except a paper temp license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Your right. The Colorado DMV is a MESS. I moved from California which I thought had the worst system but Colorado wins hands down. I've never had to go through such hassle in my life just to get a driver's license. This state has the most Byzantine bureaucracy of anyplace I've ever been. Good luck.
I kind of doubt that. CA is the most messed up DMV I've ever seen. When I moved from CO to CA 12 years ago. They took my CO license and gave me a temp paper CA license.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM

6,810 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I kind of doubt that. CA is the most messed up DMV I've ever seen. When I moved from CO to CA 12 years ago. They took my CO license and gave me a temp paper CA license.
When I moved to CA in 2004, they punched a hole in my Pennsylvania license and gave me a temp piece of paper, just like what CO did when I moved here in late 2006. I agree, though, that the CA DMV is way more messed up than CO.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
In the mid-90's, Wyoming did the same thing - the wait time was six weeks and they had no clue about motor voter registrations. We moved back to NW Indiana, went into DMV and walked out with our "new/old" license same hour. Still the same effective system I grew up with in the 50's~
I remember that. My first drivers license was from WY. I still have it. It was a very heavy laminated good quality card. Then I remember when I moved to CO. The CO license was paper thin with the license printed right on plastic. If it got folded, it would get creased. Several times when I lived in CO I accidentally washed my license, and had to get it replaced. The ink washed right off the card. That was when I wished I still had the better quality WY type license. It would have saved me a lot of trouble.

The problem with instant type licenses is, they are so easy to forge. In the past every college campus had at least one person printing out fake drivers licenses in their dorm room. Mostly just used for underage drinking, but still. Then there is the problem when they give people instant licenses on the spot, there is no way to verify the persons address. That used to allow people to get multiple licenses from different states, using fake addresses. All someone had to do is stop at a DMV and pick up licenses as they traveled.

I'm not a big fan of most this 911 anti-terrorism BS. But I think getting rid of instant drivers licenses, is one good thing to come out of it. I understand the inconvenience, but it should just not be that easy for someone to just walk in and pick up a drivers license.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
When I moved to CA in 2004, they punched a hole in my Pennsylvania license and gave me a temp piece of paper, just like what CO did when I moved here in late 2006. I agree, though, that the CA DMV is way more messed up than CO.
OK, maybe they stated that after 9/11, or I maybe I was too dumb to know I could request it back. Every time I've move from one state to another, I seem to remember, that it was made clear that you must "surrender your old license".

Old 10-10-2010, 10:09 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:

I decided to go to the DMV today to finally get a CO drivers license. Little did I know that there is up to a 30 day waiting period between the time you go in for a license and the time one is actually mailed to you. Most states issue you a permanent license on spot, but I guess Colorado DMVs haven't yet adopted that basic technology.

I need to travel by plane in about 9 days, but my drivers license was the only "official" identification I had. They punched a hole in my old license, but handed it back to me, along with some shoddy piece of paper that is supposed to serve as my temporary drivers license until I receive my permanent one in the mail.

Does anyone have any advice on where to quickly attain official identification for my trip? I know there is a slight possiblility my official drivers license will arrive in time, but I don't want to sit on pins and needles waiting.

Thanks for the help.
Quit being a cheap and get a passport. Problem solved no matter where you go, in the world.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No you do not. If you walk into a FL DMV( what is a tag place...lol) and hand over a valid out of state license, they hand you a FL license.

They ask you questions like do you have any tickets, is your DL suspended, and you're done.

I know I did this. I handed over my CA license and didn't even take an eye test.

As far as having car insurance, FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers. All they do is if they're caught driving without it is get a ticket. Most states impound the vehicles.

I prefer the way other states do it, they take some precaution before just handing over a DL.
Well I got my DL in FL over 10 years ago, don't know how it's changed, but I had to do an eye test, driving test and all that. Yes out of state transfers are different because I'm sure you did all that crap in CA. Just like when I traded my FL license into Colorado I didn't have to do any of that stuff, just took a couple weeks minus the giving it to you on the spot.

And there are tag/title offices in FL that are separate from the DMV just like CO, so don't know what you're talking about there.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You don't absolutely have to have photo ID. Per the TSA website:

Passengers who do not have a valid photo ID, such as State-issued driver’s license, should bring any ID or documents they have available to assist in verification of identity. Passengers need at least two alternate forms of identification, such as a social security card, birth certificate, marriage license, or credit card. The documents must bear the name of the passenger. Also, one of these documents must bear identification information containing one of the following: date of birth, gender, address, or photo. If TSA can confirm the passenger’s identity, they may enter the secured area, but they could be subject to additional screening. For more information, please review the ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints.

TSA: TSA Contact Center (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/editorial_1029.shtm - broken link)

Think about it. How else would the illegals be able to fly since they can no longer get driver's licenses in nearly all states?

You are correct. I lost my wallet while away on a trip and was able to board the plane.

Bring as much identification as possible. I would bet that your hole-punched license and birth certificate would be enough. Make sure you allow plenty of time to get through security as you will probably get an up close and personal screening.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:

Does anyone have any advice on where to quickly attain official identification for my trip? I know there is a slight possiblility my official drivers license will arrive in time, but I don't want to sit on pins and needles waiting.

Thanks for the help.

The DMV in Colorado once gave you your license the same day, They no longer do that. I do know the paper license they gave you is a legal form of identification. Keep the paper license until you get yours in the mail. I know Texas mails them out to you too. I've always recieved my license within a week.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Quit being a cheap and get a passport. Problem solved no matter where you go, in the world.
Who's being cheap? I ordered a passport, but it will not arrive in time.

Like I mentioned earlier, the quickest I can get a passport is in two weeks. I am leaving in less than a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado